Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:18:55 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  O.T. - Computer Games « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: O.T. - Computer Games  (Read 7999 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 20, 2004, 12:38:53 PM »

I am a fairly avid computer gamer.  I find that sports games and shoot-em-up games are best played on my Playstation 2 and X-Box systems, so I stick mainly to real-time and turn-based strategy games for my PC.

My favoriste games are the ones where you rule a civilization and you need to determine how to allocate your resources (economic development, political power, military might, technological advances, etc.) to build the strongest nation.  Some of my favorite games (past and present) are:

* ALPHA CENTAURI and ALIEN CROSSFIRE - Unfortunately, these games are not compatible with my current Windows XP system, so I can't play them anymore!

* CIVILIZATION (and all of its sequels and derivatives)

* GALACTIC CIVILIZATIONS

* IMPERIUM GALACTICA II

* HEARTS OF IRON (a very good WWII game, that should have been great - unfortunately, some of the rules are vague and the combat system isn't very exciting)

* MASTER OF ORION 3

* EMPIRE EARTH (and the expansion pack)

* AGE OF EMPIRES (and all of its sequels and derivatives)

* RISE OF NATIONS

I also recently purchased WAR! AGE OF IMPERIALISM, which is a simple, yet fun world conquest game (based on a board game) and KORSUN POCKET, which is a nice-looking WWII game (I'm still working my way through the tutorial, so I can't comment on the game itself yet . . . but it seems like it will be a great game).

I am anxiously awaiting LORDS OF THE REALM III, which looks like it could emerge as the grand-daddy of all Medeival games.

I have left out dozens of other good games, but you can get the gist of my interest based on the above listing.

Which games are your favorites?

Post Edited (01-20-04 11:40)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 01:26:35 PM »

I play a game that requires no concentration or strategy. It is relaxing. I play Bejeweled. I don't play it anymore because every time that I do it crashes our computer and my husband doesn't like that.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 01:35:02 PM »

I'm not really into games all that much, but I do get in the mood from time to time.

Sim City is a big favourite. I just got a newer version for Christmas. If I'm not careful, hours will pass while I'm engaging in all of the urban planning stuff that bores the hell out of me when I have to cover it for work. Go figure. It also annoys my wife, because I just kind of glaze over while I'm playing, and don't really pay attention to her. She does the same thing, so she can't really complain.

I also really like the Command and Conquer games, and used to enjoy Warcraft quite a bit. Civilization is also good.

Mahjongg is also surprisingly addictive.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
raj

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 01:52:50 PM »

I'm also a big fan of the Civ & Alpha Centauri games.  I need to replace my home computer bacause it runs Civ III so slowly.

Duke Nukem & Doom are also favorites for some mindless ass-kicking.  Diablo II is another one.
Eirik
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 01:57:57 PM »

"HEARTS OF IRON (a very good WWII game, that should have been great - unfortunately, some of the rules are vague and the combat system isn't very exciting)"

I don't play computer games much, but I do have this one and I couldn't agree with you more.  My main problem with it is that the computer player sucks ass.  If you play an Ally, Germany just kind of sits there and waits for you to take it apart.  It's impossible to lose against the computer.  The other option I have is online games which are next to impossible since who the hell can coordinate the time with someone else to play a game of that length?  A good aggressive computer player program would go a long way to making that a great game.  So would turn-based play instead of real-time which tends to reward the fastest point-and-clicker.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 02:49:25 PM »

I don't care for any game that takes much thinking. I mess with computers and their  (mostly incompetent) users everyday, so I really like to indulge in some mindless carnage. I usually just  get the cheat codes and start blasting.

My favorites:

1. Carmageddon High Octane (finally got it to run on XP!)

2. Duke Nukem  The Manhattan Project

3. Redneck Rampage (and Rides Again)  "He blowed up right nice!)

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 03:09:35 PM »

I'm an FPS addict.  I love first person shooters.  Pure adrenaline....sooo....muuuuch....funnnn.

All time favorites would be:

Deus Ex: The best game ever.  RPG and FPS mixed together.  Genius!  Have yet to play the sequel.

Medal Of Honor: All of these games have been amazing, with the exception of Rising Sun.  RS was still a decent game, just didn't have the same soul as the others.

Doom: I remember blasting through baddies way back when on Win95.  Still one of the best shooters of all time.

Half Life: This is one that I can play for hours on end.  Standard, Blue Shift, Team Fortress Classic, Opposing Force, and Counter Strike. Ohhh....I almost wet myself thinking about it....yyyyyeeeeah.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 06:28:22 PM »

I'm an RPG fan.  I love the Baldur's Gate series - especially Baldur's Gate 2.  The Icewindale saga is a good time, as well.  I also dig Morrowind, but I haven't played it so much lately.  For some reason, I never get far in the game.  I make a character, play them for a while, and then get bored with my character - not the game, the character I'm playing.  So I start over.  Go figure.

I used to play Diablo 2 religiously, but somewhere along the line, I lost my passion for it.

I'm horrible at RTS games, and turn-based bores me to tears, so I avoid those.

One game I love for no apparent reason is Sim City (pick a version).  I know that for someone who says turn-based strategy is boring, it sounds weird to hear praise for city simulations, but it is the case none the less.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
Susan
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 07:37:31 PM »

I used to play the sims but then i got too sadistic, locking them in a bathroom until they died. I don't get half of these strategy games, wolfenstein gave me severe nausia from the spinning. I used to play tetris alot, I guess i'm an old schooler. I cannot get enough of the atari and commodore games (I have my old atari and lots of catridges)

I am a huge fan of board games - but I don't know hardly anybody who plays. I mean I'll sit down and just go at it with scrabble, trivial pursuit, risk, facts in five, any new and old game, word game or strategy. It's just a matter of the lack of opponents. What is wrong with this world?!

Bgrade.
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 08:07:18 PM »

I generally like RPG like Balders Gate., However I also liked Dues ex and Max Paine

I generally always finish a game quickly.  And only play one at a time.
However, I've been playing Diablo II and the expansions and patches for just over 3 years now (1st two years solo now mainly on-line with two friends).  
Even if I buy a new game I resort back to playing DII.  It has ruined other games for me.

Well except for spider solitaire
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 08:16:19 PM »

I haven't played computer games in about 3 years, but the ones I did like were:

War Craft II
Star Craft
Age of Empires II
Dune
Command and Conquer

Still play board games occasionally:

Chess (mostly)
Scrabble (a lot)
Stratego (sometimes)

As a kid I had and played all the board games and made up a few of my own using a special hard cardboard from a factory.

Bgrade.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 08:31:19 PM »

Scabble kicks ass
dean
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 10:22:38 AM »

Used to play alot of games, classics like Warcraft, Doom and Mario, nowadays I've been getting into Rpg big time.  The final fantasy series kicks ass!  I also on occasion go play some network games with some friends, mainly a very good game: Battlefield 1942 [I think] and it's expansion pack, Desert Combat.

I also love the Command and Conquer series, Warcraft series and Civ III, games like Grand theft auto are good for mindless violence as well.

I find that most First person shooters are better on PC as well as Rpg's [though games like Halo and Red Faction are pretty good on Ps2], whilst Sports games, and games such as Grand Theft Auto 3 and Metal Gear Solid are better on systems like a playstation.  The other genres could go either way on either system.
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004, 10:47:38 AM »

I LOVE Scrabble.  It's just about the greatest game ever made.

I also like Clue, Trivial Pursuit (although some of the questions make me feel like an idiot), domino, and a variety of card games (none of which I am good at.)

I also like so-called "party games" like Catch Phrase and Taboo.

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
dean
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2004, 11:46:14 AM »

Love board games.  Me and a few friends went and spent 24 hours at a pancake parlour once, just for the hell of it, and they actually had board games there.

We spent the whole time playing chess, monopoly scrabble and othello.  Fun stuff.

Annoying as hell though, me and my girlfriend play monopoly a fair bit, and i have yet to win a game.  Anybody have any tips?   :-P
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  O.T. - Computer Games « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.