Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:02:12 AM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sleeper Actors you can count on « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sleeper Actors you can count on  (Read 1348 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: January 26, 2004, 02:41:54 AM »

I admit variants of this topic have probably cropped up from time to time, but I'd like to pay tribute to a couple of dudes whose names are NOT household words (except maybe in THIS group).  These guys are in many, many flicks with small but often important parts.

(1) Sven-Ole Thorsen

I have seen this guy in (to name a few):

The Hunt For Red October
The Viking Sagas
The Running Man
Raw Deal

IMDB has him listed as the actor who has been in more Schwarzenegger movies than any other actor, and the list is quite impressive.  I don't think he has one single line in the Hunt For Red October, but his character is visually impressive (he's like a Chief Petty Officer on the Red October; a big guy, always kinda in the background ready to kick some butt).

(2) George "Buck" Flower

I have seen him in (to name a few):

Village of the Damned (1995)
Back To The Future
They Live
Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-A-Rama
Escape From New York

Buck is in a LOT of B-movies, and often seems to play a drunk or a bum; typically small parts you hardly notice.  But you remember him because of his distinctive vocal.

What other bit actors can we honor for their tenacity and NUMBER of film credits, if not pure pop celebrity?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 12:40:40 PM »

I was kind of surprised to see Sven featured prominently in The Sum of All Fears.

Everytime I see him in a movie, my first reaction is to say "I gots to score some steroids." To me, he'll always be the big guard in The Running Man.

Has Sven had any starring roles besides Abraxas? That was a really awful movie, but I'm curious to know if anyone's seen him act in anything good, or is he strictly a henchman/tough guy?

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ulthar

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 01:51:56 PM »

Certainly not star billing, but:

Was King Borna in "Kull The Conqueror" a bigger part than his usual "thug" credit?  At least his character had a name.   ;)

He played a prominent character in "The Viking Sagas."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 03:03:18 PM »

How about Harry Guardino?  He did everything from HELL IS FOR HEROES to DIRTY HARRY.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ulthar

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 05:25:36 PM »

The Burgomaster wrote:

> How about Harry Guardino?  He did everything from HELL IS FOR
> HEROES to DIRTY HARRY.
>

I could not place a face to the name, so  had to loo him up.  Once I saw the picture, yep, I've seen him 'around.'  This guy has a LOT of credits, including quite an impressive list of tv guest appearances (mostly crime drama), and movies going back to the 1950's.  It's a shame a 'household' face like his must have been in the  70's and 80's is not also a household name.   "Here's to ya Harry, Rest In Peace."

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/PersonDetail/personid-42576

Here's to ya Harry, Rest In Peace.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Sleeper Actors you can count on « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.