Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:50:17 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What book would like to see in movie form and who would star? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What book would like to see in movie form and who would star?  (Read 4147 times)
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2004, 12:25:10 AM »

>An astronaut is gradually turned into a cyborg to live on Mars, and we see how
>he becomes isolated and feels his humanity slipping away as he goes through
>all of the surgical procedures. He's basically turned into a Martian, with little of
>his original body left. He looks like a monster and has to learn to live with it.

Sounds like an episode of the show Monsters; A woman is sent to check up on a man who has been genetically altered to labor on an alien planet. He's alone and has to be kept isolated since normal atmosphere would now kill him. The woman eventually finds out that the guy is someone she once loved. It's the season 3, episode 5, Outpost.

As for books I'd like to see made into movies; Stinger by Robert McCammon. A huge alien ship lands in a small town, encloses the area in a force field and starts releasing various creatures to hunt for another alien that is hiding there.
Grumpy Guy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2004, 06:59:08 AM »

You're welcome.

You can read the original Ender's Game short story at Card's site (hatrack.com)

--"I doubt if a single individual could be found from the whole of mankind free from some form of insanity.  The only difference is one of degree."
--Desiderius Erasmus
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2004, 11:31:32 AM »

JohnL wrote:
> Sounds like an episode of the show Monsters; A woman is sent to
> check up on a man who has been genetically altered to labor on
> an alien planet. He's alone and has to be kept isolated since
> normal atmosphere would now kill him. The woman eventually
> finds out that the guy is someone she once loved. It's the
> season 3, episode 5, Outpost.

Sounds like the basic premise could have been inspired by the book. It was published around 1975 or 76.

The guy in Man Plus is actually married, but the mission requires him to be away from his wife for several years. The surgeons say they'll try to put him back together afterward, but warn that there's a good chance they won't be able to. He's mostly kept isolated because the project is a secret, but he won't let his wife visit because he's afraid of what she'll think of his monstrous appearance (she's kind of a b***h). He begins to suspect she's fooling around right about the time the surgeons take out his naughty bits and neglect to warn him ahead of time. Talk about a double shot to his manhood. Strangely, he does manage to fall in love with a woman on the project who doesn't care about his appearance or his Ken doll anatomy. The reader is taken along on his whole emotional rollercoaster ride.

One of my favourite books. A pity there's no way Hollywood could film it without messing it up.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2004, 12:07:44 AM »

It also sounds like it might have inspired at least part of the original Outer Limits episode, The Architects of Fear; A man is chosen for a secret project to unite the world by making them think that the Earth is being threatened by aliens. They surgically transform him into an  alien while his wife is kept in the dark about what's being done to him.
yaddo42
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2004, 11:39:15 AM »

Fearless Freep, I liked most of the early SSR books like the one with the Grey Men. I liked them less once his sons were older, like in "SSR Runs For President", I think. I could never tell the sons apart they both were such annoyingly smug characters. The ones where Harrison went back and showed Jim's early days were pretty good but in some of his more recent stories, like the short story in "Stainless Steel Visions", Harrison so stacks the deck in Jim's favor that there is no suspense or tension. He will have anticipated EVERYTHING that his opponents will do and coveniently packed a compact supergadget or nanotech device to counter it.

I do think the first "Bill, the Galactic Hero" book would make a cool adventure comedy with Brenden Fraser as Bill. Although any scene with a shot of his left arm would involve FX or CGI of some kind.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What book would like to see in movie form and who would star? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.