Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:18:55 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Be afraid . . . Be very afraid . . . « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Be afraid . . . Be very afraid . . .  (Read 5357 times)
peter johnson
« on: August 25, 2001, 01:25:46 AM »

It's a cliche . . .It's such a cliche . . . The line:  Be afraid . . . be very afraid.   It's been made fun of in The Addams Family Values & countless B-bad comedies.  But WHAT is the first damn film to use that line as either a line of dialogue or as a tag for advertising?  Was it, in fact, Cronenberg's remake of The Fly?  Or was there a film before it, and we just think The Fly remake (Gina Davis delivers the line) was the source?
This ties in to one of those endless detail arguments with which we are all familiar I am sure . . .
Votes and suggestions, please!!
Thankyou very much . . .
Squishy
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2001, 05:28:41 AM »

I always assumed it was The Fly that started that line; I can't recall ever hearing it before Geena Davis uttered it. Prior to that, it was always "DON'T be afraid..." in movie titles and dialogue, which of course was the point of that particular line in Cronenberg's movie...

TASTELESS STUPID GAG WARNING: Pictured a sick, sick parody of the poster/box art of The Fly way back when: The Adult Version. Remember how the poster showed a bright glow pouring out of a barely visible telepod, with a human arm and insectoid leg emerging from within? Replace the ridged form of the telepod with the wide-open zipper of a pair of jeans. Something looms inside the glow. Something...big.

John Holmes
The Fly
Be Well Lubricated...Be Very Well Lubricated.

Too adult for Mad, too obscure for Hustler.

(Yes, I have already "sought help."  The meds didn't work, the lobotomy made things worse. Thanks for asking, though!)

"Look! Up in the sky! It's Super Fly!"
--Bart Simpson, overly optimistic about the potential results of his own version of Seth Brundle's experiment

"Aw, I was hoping to be humungous! Well, at least I don't have two butts!"
--Bart, trying to look on the bright side afterwards
Steve.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2001, 06:17:43 AM »

I can't think of a movie before The Fly that used "Be afraid...", although it does sound like a tag-line for some 50s schlocker.
Dr. Freex
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2001, 11:16:56 AM »

I'm going to vote for Cronenberg's The Fly also - The line was featured very prominently in the trailers, which helped make it common coin. Like the ads for A Few Good Men had us all yelling "You can't handle the truth!"
Flangepart
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2001, 12:39:15 PM »

Be afriad,be very afraid of the Dark,because size matters,because in space,no one can hear you scream,hasta La Vista,baby,seeing as this is a 44. Magnum, and could blow your head clean off, ask your self one question,Do i feel luckey,well do ya' punk?Go ahead, make my day, the night has a million eyes, this is the city,i carry a badge,fill your hand, you son of a b***h!,............okey, i'm pooped.......you take over............................................................................................... .......
Steve.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2001, 12:55:37 PM »

You talking to me?.......I will show you where the iron crosses grow......I go with you, Jefe.......Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia!.......Answer me,  you have a civil tongue in your head. I know, I sewed it in there......Wanna date? Got any money?.....It's alive, It's alive!!......Is that an African or European swallow?
Mofo Rising
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2001, 12:58:19 AM »

Steve. wrote:
>
> You talking to me?.......I will show you where the iron
> crosses grow......I go with you, Jefe.......Bring me the head
> of Alfredo Garcia!.......Answer me,  you have a civil tongue
> in your head. I know, I sewed it in there......Wanna date?
> Got any money?.....It's alive, It's alive!!......Is that an
> African or European swallow?

May God have mercy on your souls.
Squishy
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2001, 03:49:23 AM »

Save thy pity for Paul Westbrook; for verily, he saw Pootie Tang. (See recent thread.)
peter johnson
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2001, 10:46:59 AM »

Thankyou everyone!  Great thread, too . . .
chili
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2001, 02:14:04 PM »

grooovy!
Chris1
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2001, 10:43:10 PM »

" I don't think were in Kansas anymore Toto."
N. E. Moses
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2001, 09:49:39 PM »

"I'll be back"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Be afraid . . . Be very afraid . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.