Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:18:33 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Not the dog! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Not the dog!  (Read 3910 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: February 06, 2004, 03:59:35 PM »

Just saw The Butterfly Effect last night. Aside from a couple of aspects of the time tampering that made no sense, I found it an interesting movie overall.

What I found most disturbing was the scene where Tommy, the rotten little kid, decides to teach Evan a lesson by putting his dog in a sack, dousing it with lighter fluid and, well, you get the picture. Fortunately, they stopped short of showing him light it.

The interesting thing is that while I was outraged by this (I wanted to throttle the little bastard), I can watch essentially the same thing, and worse, done to a person in other movies, and not react nearly as strongly. Is it because the dog is helpless, innocent, dumb animal that isn't even aware of what's going on? Is it because dogs are cute.

One thing I did think about was the thread about movies hated for a single scene. You see, I've never been a pet owner until I married a dog person in 2002. Now the dogs are a big part of my life, and I've really bonded with them. Watching that scene, I couldn't help but think of my own dogs. Makes me wonder how parents in the audience reacted to the baby that gets blown up.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 04:21:30 PM »

Dogs, on the whole, are much better than people.  I can't stand to see a dog die in a movie-- of course I am a dog lover.  Actually I don't like seeing any animal hurt in a movie, even though I know it's make believe.

Thanks for the warning about the Butterfly Effect.  I won't see it.
-=NiGHTS=-
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 04:23:50 PM »

My ex-girlfriend (sob) was the same way.  

Either way, isn't there a movie rule or something like that?  If you kill a dog in a film, you won't survive?
raj

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 04:26:05 PM »

I think that's right.  You can't harm a dog, or small children.
Eirik
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 06:29:15 PM »

"Is it because the dog is helpless, innocent, dumb animal that isn't even aware of what's going on? Is it because dogs are cute."

I think there's a psychology at work here AndyC - stay with me.  Unless you're from Haiti or West Africa, people getting lit on fire is not a part of your reality.  When you see it dramatized on film, you know it isn't real and you don't internalize it because it's just a movie.  But I bet most American kids do have a first hand experience with seeing kids do cruel things to animals (granted, maybe not that extreme)...  so you have a frame of reference, and you cannot remove yourself as readily from what you are seeing on film.

I knew a little twat in grade school who would hunt squirrels with his pellet gun, skin them, and then make squirrel puppets that he would have talk to each other.  Nobody really liked the twisted little creep very much.  According to the last class newsletter, he works as a programmer for Bell Atlantic and is not married.  Figures.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 07:09:04 PM »

Was anyone else rooting for the dog in Cujo??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Johnny Z
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 08:35:59 PM »

The sad part is the lighting the dog will probably show up on DVD in the deleted scenes section, unless PETA, SPCA or someone says something. I like dogs and would have a hard time watching that, even though a real dog wasn't harmed.

If it's on Cinemax past midnight, it has to be bad.
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 08:51:54 PM »

raj wrote:

> I think that's right.  You can't harm a dog, or small children.

The exception to this being Halloween, where Michael Meyers killed the dog partway thru the movie.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
Eirik
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 08:54:43 PM »

"The exception to this being Halloween, where Michael Meyers killed the dog partway thru the movie."

Actually, dogs eat it quite often in the movies.  Signs, Jaws, Alien3, just to name a few.
Eirik
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 08:56:13 PM »

"Was anyone else rooting for the dog in Cujo??"

Against Dee Wallace?  You bet I was.  Interestingly, the movie departed from the book to adhere to the "don't kill kids" rule.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2004, 10:03:47 PM »

One good exception to the dog thing is in There's Something About Mary.

That was hilarious!
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 10:26:51 PM »

Eirik wrote:

> Interestingly, the movie
> departed from the book to adhere to the "don't kill kids" rule.

Yeah, that was why I did not like the movie Cugo....I am not for killing kids in movies, but in the book, that made the story VERY, VERY powerful.  Horror should not always have a happy ending.  If you are going to change the fundamental essence of the story, frankly, I'd just assume the movie not be made.

But that's just me, I suppose.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Eirik
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2004, 12:45:01 AM »

"Yeah, that was why I did not like the movie Cugo....I am not for killing kids in movies, but in the book, that made the story VERY, VERY powerful. Horror should not always have a happy ending. If you are going to change the fundamental essence of the story, frankly, I'd just assume the movie not be made."

I remember feeling the same way at the time (I had read the book in anticipation of the movie coming out, finished it three days before opening day, and went to the first showing on opening day)...  I wanted the movie to be just like the book - which I agree had a powerful ending.  But now, I don't think I'd want to see a movie end like that book did.  Maybe it's because I'm a dad, I don't know.  But the essence of the story - as you put it - wasn't so much the kid dying as it was about sort of the reverse evolution of an animal we thought we had domesticated.  I thought King worked that theme very well in the book, and I don't think the director did a good job of putting it on screen.  Mostly, he smeared gook on a rolly polly St. Bernard that looked like it just wanted to play catch.
yaddo42
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2004, 11:53:03 AM »

I hate demonstrations of animal cruelty in films when they serve no purpose to the story, aren't used for comedy, or are just there for shock value.

The cat scene in "Boondock Saints" didn't bother me, mostly because it was done for comedic effect. Plus, it was one of the few clever scenes in a very overrated movie that wasn't as hip, clever, or smart as the people making it thought it was.

The bar scene in "The Rookie" where Charlie Sheen shoots the dog attacking him didn't bother me either. It made sense to the movie and I liked seeing a character use a direct brutal approach to dealing with an attack dog in a movie for once.

The horse slap and horse punch in "Pocket Money" are funny, mild compared to the scene in "Butterfly Effect", and serve the plot and character development.
dean
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2004, 08:11:16 AM »

>The interesting thing is that while I was outraged by this (I wanted to throttle the little bastard), I can watch essentially the same thing, and worse, done to a person in other movies, and not react nearly as strongly. Is it because the dog is helpless, innocent, dumb animal that isn't even aware of what's going on? Is it because dogs are cute.<

I guess it's because we see murder and violence against people all the time.  Alot of us watch horror films and are used to that sorta thing I guess.

Maybe we are just desensitized to the violence towards humans [Jeez, I sound like my old english teacher!]

For example, in American Psycho, I found alot of Bateman's killings to be quite straightfoward, run of the mill [and a bit funny as well!].   Whatever.  But when he held that kitten to the Atm and was ready to 'feed' it, I was a bit disturbed.  Maybe because we can accept the fact that a serial/violent killer can kill a human without remorse nor reason, we understand this, but when the same brutality is done to an animal, it's just a sick easy kill that really served no purpose.  That's a true sicko; the animal killer.  

That's why animal killings in movies like Signs, Jaws and Aliens aren't that bad; they're done by other animals hence we expect that more. [though I was a little sad about it in Signs]

There it is, my lengthy psychological analysis of the human mind.  Give me money and a nobel prize now please...
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Not the dog! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.