Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:30:28 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Not the dog! « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Not the dog!  (Read 3966 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2004, 11:55:41 AM »

The movie AFRAID OF THE DARK has a scene where a dog has his eyes poked out (by a knitting needle, I think . . . I haven't seen the movie in a long time).

Then, of course, there was the REAL LIFE tragedy that occurred a few years ago when a boy around 12 or 14 years old (I think), cut a dog's eyes out with a pocket knife and the dog had to be euthanized.  The kid said that he did it because we wanted to "see what would happen."

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2004, 12:07:44 PM »

I could have gone my whole life without knowing something like that happened.  Would have been a nice life, too.

Not that it surprises me in any way.  In my something something years of existence, I've heard plenty of things I would have been happier not hearing.

The kid probably ought to be watched for the rest of his life.  Or, at least in some form of counseling.

One last thing - am I the only person who read that and instantly thought of Edgar Allen Poe's "The Black Cat"?

I only ask to see just how off the bubble I really am.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2004, 02:26:36 PM »

Cullen wrote:

>
> The kid probably ought to be watched for the rest of his life.
> Or, at least in some form of counseling.
>

Absolutely.  Many studies have shown that most serial killers begin with animal torture.  That's one of the behavioral triad that is linked to sexually motivated killing: bed wetting, arson animal torture.

An adolescent exhibiting any two of these three is in significant danger of developing psychopathic tendacies in later life.  (Note that the bedwetting refers to kids older than where it is 'normal' ...).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Cullen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2004, 04:29:40 PM »

I knew about the animal torture part, but not the other two signs.  Very interesting.

Thanks for the Info.

Cullen - Super Genius, Novelist, and all in all Great Guy.
ulthar

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2004, 12:45:17 AM »

Cullen wrote:

> I knew about the animal torture part, but not the other two
> signs.  Very interesting.
>
> Thanks for the Info.
>

Two books by John Douglas (Mindhunter and Journey Into Darkness) are fascinating looks into the minds of serial killers and sexually motivated killers.  If you are interested in this sort of topic and have not read these two books, they are worth a read.

If you have kids, Journey Into Darkness will also be a bit disturbing since much of the book focuses on child kidnappings and stuff....but there is good info on how to possibly spot a pedophile or child predator.

I was going to mention these in my last post, but could not think of the title of Journey Into Darkness..was drawing a blank.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2004, 01:39:26 AM »

Seeing a dog hurt or killed ina movie makes me sad for the rest of the night.  Nothing in the world  can make me happier than a puppy.  I love dogs.  Torture the hell out of the humans in the movie, but leave the dogs alone.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Flangepart

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2004, 11:40:01 AM »

I don't need bad deeds done to good animals. Defending aginst an unproviked attack (The rookie) i can accapt, ....lets include Jurassic park, now that i think about it....but, while it makes the villian badder, how its depicted determins how well i handle it.
Humm...does it affect anyone, with the "Mongo punchs horse" gag in Blazeing Saddles?

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
ulthar

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2004, 01:13:22 PM »

Flangepart wrote:

> Humm...does it affect anyone, with the "Mongo punchs horse" gag
> in Blazeing Saddles?
>

I thought of that while reading this thread.  The movie itself is a fun bunch of silliness that I think it is easy to not take that punch seriously.  I don't know how they did the effect, but I guess we (or at least I) always assumed it did not harm the horse in any way.

I think it is just different in a comedy....

--Real Genius
raj

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2004, 06:57:08 PM »

I thought the horse punch was real, and was one reason given for letting ASPCA onto movie sets.  Great movie even with the horse punch.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2004, 09:14:45 PM »

The horse punch was too ridiculous to bother me. The horse is so much bigger and stronger than Alex Karras, that it's going to take a lot more than a punch in the face to do it harm. That's why it's funny when he knocks it out.

Come to think of it, I also got a kick out of the dead horse gag in Animal House.

I wonder if it's generally less bothersome because fewer people own horses or have much experience with them. Also, the horse has traditionally been a working beast, pulling wagons and plows and such. People have used whips and spurs on them. Dogs, while some of them do work, are close companions.

I think it's our familiarity with dogs that makes it so upsetting to see them come to harm in a movie. A lot of people have dogs, and understand what loving,  trusting, social animals they are. It's hard to see anybody mistreat one, even when it's faked.

Cats, on the other hand, are aloof and detached, and generally crueller predators than dogs. They might rub around your leg or enjoy a scratch behind the ear, but it's all about their pleasure. I always enjoyed the saying that your size is the only thing keeping your cat from trying to eat you. Thus, I can laugh my butt off as someone beats a rug with one in Holy Grail.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ulthar

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2004, 10:08:40 PM »

What you say about cats is only partially true.  I grew up being a dog person, and only really had my first cat given to me when I was about 26 or so.  She was very affectionate, would come lay her head on my neck if I was sad, etc.  True, she had her aloof times, and cats in general DO have attitude.  She died last year, and I do miss her.

The cat we have now (gotten before the other one died) is completely different.  When she is affectionate, it is ONLY in her terms.  She follows me around the house and stays very close, but will *not,* except in extraordinary circumstances, sit on my lap!  She also has a bit of a temper.

And having watched a cat on more than one occasion absolutely torture a smaller animal (such as a mouse), I must agree that they are cold predators.  Very good hunters, too.  I have to respect that.

I would not want to see cats mistreated/victims in movies any more than dogs.  Although I must say, Re-Animator is a favorite and the cat scene is intense.

(Cat scenes in Pet Semetary are intense, too, but I quick watching that movie because of the child aspect discussed at length in previous threads).

--Real Genius
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2004, 12:05:09 PM »

Saw another interesting example of this when I rented Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidora: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (great title). A bunch of young hooligans, in the middle of trespassing, breaking and entering, and so forth, decide to drown the cute little watchdog. They put it in a box with a heavy (and significant) stone figure, row out into the middle of the lake. As they're dumping it overboard, Mothra comes out of the lake and kills the lot of them.

Shortly after, as the incident is discussed on the TV news, we see a brief shot of the dog being rescued from the box. Twenty people dead and wrapped in cocoons, but the dog is OK. Phew! That was lucky.

Interesting to see a trick like that in a Japanese movie. Shows it's not just a North American or European thing. Mind you, it probably wouldn't work in any Asian country where dogs are on the menu.

---------------------
eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2004, 01:17:02 PM »

.  .  Everyone seems to find it offensive, as do I, but Lloyd Kaufman has noticed the hypocracy as seeing a dozen or so children killed in a "Beware: Children at Play" promo drove audiences out of a test screening of either "Terror Firmer" or "Tromeo and Juliet" (I think the latter), but he recieved few complaints, (I mean comparitively [Morton Downey]) compared to the "Not the dog!" scene in "The Toxic Avenger."  Which was part of the 1st Troma Intelligence Tests on the DVD's, as being the most complained about scene... from Troma, no less.
Flangepart

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2004, 12:22:20 PM »

Noticed that too, AndyC. I think the innocence of the dog was its protection....corse...how do ya explain the people who must have been trampled by the other monsters?
Oh, wait....this is Kaiju...we don need no stinkin' logic!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2004, 03:04:31 PM »

Well, they did make a point of explaining that the guardian monsters were protectors of the land itself, and not the nation. I figured the intention was to allow them to wreck buildings and kill people while still being the good guys. They're neither hostile toward the Japanese, nor do they particularly care about them. On the other hand, Godzilla was just plain mean in that movie. Of course, you'd be mean too if somebody decided that everything you'd done since 1954 had never happened.

Incidentally, my favourite line in the movie had to be the discussion of the giant monster that attacked New York a few years ago. "Some American scientists believe it was Godzilla, but we don't think so."

---------------------
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Not the dog! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.