Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:33:26 PM
714382 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Continuity where firearms are concerned. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Continuity where firearms are concerned.  (Read 12455 times)
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 07, 2004, 03:14:33 AM »

I think Flangepart made similar points not to long ago, but I just wanted to weigh in.
I'm forever running across errors in films in which firearms are described and used. And they aren't errors that you have to be an exprert or technically skilled to spot. I think they're obvious to almost anyone with a passing knowledge of the subject(s).

For instance, semi-automatic pistols are often referred to as revolvers...when obviously they are semi-auto's. I see this alot in older films but it still crops up once in awhile. Fairly simple thing for a continuity person to check. Often a character will mention the caliber of the rounds for a weapon, incorrectly, in A Few Good Men, it was mentioned that Col. Markham put a .45 to his head, when the weapon was clearly a 9mm. Also, supressors or silencers, don't work on revolvers in real life, but work like a charm in movies.

Finally, and this is a HUGE pet peeve with me in my professional life with people who should know better. It's not a clip, it's a magazine. You load the clip into the magazine...then the magazine into the weapon. Nitpicky stuff, I know. But, it seems they would have someone in a production crew who would spot this stuff.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2004, 03:40:44 AM »

I always got a kick out of the scenes in Rambo where he's firing an M-60 from the hip with pinpoint accuracy.

Everything's funnier with monkeys.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 04:08:23 AM »

In "Aliens" after the Colonial Marines get their asses kicked and are taking an inventory of their remaining weapons, Hicks states that each pulse rifle has about 50 rounds each but each rifle fires about 10 times that amount throughout the rest of the film!
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2004, 08:40:07 AM »

One pet peeve of mine pops up quite often, especially in Hollow Man.  They decide to issue tranq guns.  Yet the guns they are given are FRIGGIN PAINTBALL PISTOLS!

Arrrrgh.....

It hurts me to see a major film with well known actors running around with paintball guns.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2004, 09:41:44 AM »

I mentioned this in another thread, but it seems to fit in here as well, so I'll repeat it;

In the Clint Eastwood movie THE ENFORCER, they keep referring to a "LAWS rocket." What they mean is a LAW or "Light Anti-tank Weapon." It just bugged me that they kept saying "LAWS rocket" instead of just "LAW."

Not only that, but when the soldier is demonstrating how to use the LAW, he simply fires it and Tyne Daly almost has her head incinerated by the back blast.  Any soldier (especially a LAW expert), should know that you are supposed to make sure that no one is standing behind you and you are supposed to say, "back blast clear!" before firing the damned thing.

Post Edited (02-07-04 08:43)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Eirik
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 11:00:05 AM »

How about those card tables that keep stopping AK-47 rounds?  An AK-47 can shoot through a car, by which I mean it can kill someone hiding on the other side of one.
FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2004, 11:13:28 AM »

An AK-47 can shoot through a car, by which I mean it can kill someone hiding on the other side of one.

Now that's something handy to know in case the situation ever comes up

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Michael
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2004, 11:30:49 AM »

Ever since I started target shooting with handguns and learned how they work
virtually every movie I see they do something incorrect, impossible or stupid with
a gun.
Eirik
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2004, 12:09:07 PM »

"Now that's something handy to know in case the situation ever comes up"

Freep - if you ever find yourself in that situation, God forbid, and you have to hide behind a car, try to hide behind the front end of the car where the engine will afford you some extra protection.  I've seen this capability of that rifle demonstrated on a range and frankly is shocked the hell out of me.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2004, 12:29:51 PM »

How about stances and holds?

I still see the very old 'cup and saucer' hold used in movies/tv.  Worse yet is when someone is using their weak hand to grab around the WRIST of their strong hand.  Arrgh.  

I absolutely hate in movies when the 'hero' or soon-to-be-hero grabs two handguns and goes off blazing with both simultaneously, one in each hand.  If you've ever trained for combat handgunning, you have probably been taught that SHOT PLACEMENT (hitting the dang target) is the most important thing.  Speed and firepower come after accuracy with the weapon.  That is kinda hard to do running, and point shooting with BOTH HANDS.  Arrgh.

I also cannot stand the stupid gangster 'hold the gun sideways' thing.  Again, that is NOT a way to hold a handgun if any kind of accuracy is planned.  True, this is usually seen for close up, execution style stuff, but it is still irritating.  Especially when cops in movies (who should know better) do it.

Finally, I did see in one movie an EXCELLENT example of someone who obviously got some realisitic training...for one scene at least.  In "Lethal Weapon," the scene by the pool where the guy jumps up, Mel Gibson pushes off with his weak hand while drawing and firing with his stong hand is a beautiful, textbook demonstration of the technique we used to use here in SC called "Speed Rock."  There are several elements of "Speed Rock" that were constantly hammered in during training, and Mel did them all.  

This shows it CAN be done right, with proper coaching.  Begs the question why more is not done better.

Post Edited (02-07-04 11:33)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2004, 01:57:51 PM »

I can understand with why the heros fire while rolling and fire one handed, and fire from horses or on the run or from a speeding car and always hit center mass. It's cinematic, it looks cool, and it makes for exciting motion picture goodness.

My gripe is with all the errors that are made that even someone with minimal knowledge of firearms could spot. Calling a weapon a revolver, when it isn't one, doesn't further the excitement factor of the script, just makes the  production look sloppy. I'm probably just way to involved in my movie watching experience...but DAMMIT, it bugs me.

Don't get me started on the haircuts of servicemembers in movies....that REALLY p**ses me off. Yep, I just proved it...I'm a hard-on.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2004, 08:48:31 PM »

I always like seeing a gun that fires  400 rounds per minute and has a 30 round magazine go for 10 minutes on full auto without a reload.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2004, 09:00:56 PM »

I would be satisfied if all filmmakers would learn the difference between a rifle and a shotgun. I get really annoyed when somebody treats them as interchangeable terms.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
-=NiGHTS=-
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2004, 10:27:37 PM »

Whoa, when the hell did -that- happen?
Bargle5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2004, 12:01:21 AM »

My favorite one is from "Eye of the Needle".
Kate Nelligan shoots Donald Sutherland 6 times with a gun that is plainly shown earlier in the movie to only hold 5 rounds. I know that revolvers often seem to have unlimited ammo in movies, but they made it so obvious in this one.

Frogs with their endless croaking, croaking, croaking in the night.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Continuity where firearms are concerned. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.