Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:06:08 AM
714333 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT:No Hope For Humanity? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: OT:No Hope For Humanity?  (Read 4570 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« on: February 09, 2004, 05:11:25 AM »

It seems as humanity grows more advanced and more knows more about the world and the universe that surronds him, we face ever more pressing concerns that the next big technalogical leap could lead to are very doom. At least that is what many doomsayers are always saying. From movies, to the mass media, and the goverments of the world, the image of are race is that it is always on the edge of collapse and eventual extinction. From their perspective we are doomed to destroy are selves in dozens of ways, everything from global warming, nuculear war, man made plauges, global starvation, and even destruction by are own robotic children will be the possible ends of are species.
Are we really so doomed? Endless reasons could be given for why we will not make it.Some blame are violent warlike natures, others blame rampant technological growth with out the wisdom to use the new technologys wisely, and still others blame a moraless society were rampant sex, homosexuality, and increasing disentigration of the family are bringing are countrys closer to a prophesised judgement.
I think that there are many people who lack faith in are species. They are blind to history or see only evil in are history, but can't see that are species is a survivor. Their have been many points in are history were we faced grave chalenges but have over come them and prospered after them. We survive because out of all the creatures that have ever lived on are earth, we are the only ones capable of controling are own lives. We can adapt faster and quicker then the other animals and there for can survive in ways that they could not.
What I guess im trying to get at is that often we are to morbid about are future and because of that we may make decisions, which will have a negative impact on are lives. We may choose to ban technology and live like they did in midevil times, or burn books and ban religion because some may find them offensive, of even live in a supposedly utopian world, which is nothing more than a fake creation by technology.
All of those situations are ways we may adapt to a changing fearfull world, but are not ways in wich life could be lived to the fullest. But I find it more likely that we will find a more satisfying and prosperous way for are species to advance and grow.
Sorry if I got a little morbid in my post, but I was just watching The Matrix and it got me thinking about are future.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 05:15:11 AM »

Nick Nick Nick!

While I admit that your spelling has improved, PLEASE for the love of GOD uses the space bar!
One huge long paragraph is a surefire way to initiate a headache or migraine!
Sorry dude...it's the Grammar Nazi coming out and I can't control it!
AHHH!!

Post Edited (02-09-04 22:43)
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 10:18:00 AM »

In the end  nothing we do matters. One of these days a big friggin' rock is going to fall on us or we will have some sort of pandemic that will wipe most of us out.  Humanity may end due to what it does to itself  or what hand nature decides to deal us.

We may end but the world will go on.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Flangepart

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 11:42:32 AM »

Mankind is a collective group of children, with no idea why they live.
So, we make up explinations for the universe, and hope for the best.
What happens after we kick the proverbial bucket...well...thats where speculation gets realy intresting....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Susan
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 09:55:42 PM »

inevitably, all species in the universe will be doomed..nothing is forever and we are all but specks of dust glimmering for just a brief second in the greater timeframe of life. If our galaxy alone has 200 billion stars and the universe is infinate..that's a whole lotta damn stars. Billions of years existed before me and so they shall go on after me. As for humanity, I don't think one can say we're closer to damnation...life IS chaos, chaos gives birth to new life.

Let's just hope in the time between now and our perilous journey into the black abyss they make some good movies  and stop making crappy sequels ;-)

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 10:56:51 PM »

I think we're all doomed because technology is isolating people more and more every day.  Every day, there are fewer and fewer reasons to leave the house and interact with live people.  Just look at how much time we all spend in here!

You can now:

* Shop on the Internet

* Keep yourself amused with video games

* Set up your own home theater (and watch not only movies, but also concerts, stand-up comedy, old television shows . . . you name it)

* Play games online

* In many cases, you can even work from home

Ten years from now, there will be very few reasons to ever leave your house.  Humanity will steadily go down the drain from there.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 12:07:44 AM »

I like these little philisophical discussions. We should put a book together with all are opinions and sell it. We could make millions.

JohnL

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 02:28:54 AM »

>I think we're all doomed because technology is isolating people more and more
>every day. Every day, there are fewer and fewer reasons to leave the house
>and interact with live people.

Yes, but there's one thing that technology will probably never replace, at least not to the extent that people would prefer it over the real thing: Sex. Not unless they figure out how to record and play back experiences, which doesn't look very likely.
Susan
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 09:53:48 PM »

>>Yes, but there's one thing that technology will probably never replace, at least not to the extent that people would prefer it over the real thing: Sex<<

I could argue that..but i'm not gonna ;-x

JohnL

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 01:26:50 AM »

>I could argue that..but i'm not gonna ;-x

Should we call you Mrs. Duracell? ;)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 02:53:28 AM »

You see! They don't need men anymore.Were doomed! DOOMED!

onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 04:01:23 AM »

JohnL wrote
Yes, but there's one thing that technology will probably never replace, at least not to the extent that people would prefer it over the real thing: Sex. Not unless they figure out how to record and play back experiences, which doesn't look very likely.

Remember Brainstorm, anybody??

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 09:05:43 AM »

If I had choice of weapons with you...I'd choose diction.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Susan
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 07:53:00 PM »

wyckednick wrote:

> You see! They don't need men anymore.Were doomed! DOOMED!

Think about it. We have Mr. Buzzy AND the ability clone! You're a doomed species ;-)

>>Remember Brainstorm, anybody??>>

Honestly "Barbarella" came to mind. And "Demolition Man" (was that the one with bullock and the happy moment?) Then the woody allen movie....

FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 08:19:15 PM »

You're a doomed species ;-)

Well *someone* still has to take out the trash....

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT:No Hope For Humanity? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.