Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 01:00:38 AM
714254 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Who's Going To Go See "The Passion" ? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Who's Going To Go See "The Passion" ?  (Read 6254 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: February 09, 2004, 09:10:15 PM »

Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" will be released on Wednesday Feb. 25th.

Are any of you planning on seeing this when it's released?

I for one will go see it.
I am intrigued by all the hoopla surrounding it and being a believer in God & Christ is only more reason to see it if not the main reason to see it.

Mel Gibson wasn't too historically accurate in "Braveheart" but I have a feeling that he will be here.
Suprisingly, James Caviezel who played Edmond Dantes in "The Count of Monte Cristo" is playing the role of Jesus.
The trailer is up on the official website if you haven't seen it yet.
Go here to view it:

http://homepage.mac.com/mapresents/cc.htm

You going to go see it and if so, do you think it will be good?
Why do you want to see it?

Post Edited (02-10-04 04:52)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 09:15:54 PM »

I wouldn't miss it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 10:52:40 PM »

At first, it seemed kinda overly-dramatic and silly (c'mon, The Passion of The Christ? even the title is over the top), and the hype surrounding it was something like "Mel Gibson put up 25 mil of his own money to have total creative control so look out, here comes Ed Wood's Jesus movie."
But I've seen four or five quotes since saying it's not just a movie, it's an experience and that everyone should go see it because it rules.  Of course, these are all from clergymen who've previewed it, so the views could be a little biased.  Then again, clergymen wouldn't like something that made their whole basis for being seem goofy.
So, yes, I'll go see it.  I'm not skeptical anymore, I'm curious.  I'll give Mel the benefit of the doubt and assume it's good until I see it, though.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 11:02:42 PM »

Let me clarify my earlier comment.  "I wouldn't miss it . . . but if MAD MAX shows up and starts blowing away the Roman soldiers, I'm walking out."

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
-=NiGHTS=-
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 11:14:01 PM »

In an opposite viewpoint:

If MAD MAX shows up, I'm totally there.
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 12:13:08 AM »

I probably will see it.The subject of Jesus has always facinated me and I would like to see how he is portrayed in the movie.
My only problem is that I hope I can avoid the Bible thumpers. Im sure I'll end up starting s**t if they start preaching to me.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 12:13:23 AM »

kids kids, you cand have both :D

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Eirik
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 12:40:34 AM »

Not interested.

I know the story already.  Of course I knew LOTR already too and was first in line to see those movies.  For some reason, although I am religious, movies based on the Bible have no attraction for me whatsoever.  It's not that I think they trivialize the subject or that other peoples' interpretation of scripture don't interest me...  Maybe it's the fact that Bible stories aren't really plot or character driven so much as they are a way to communicate a set of beliefs and values.  In short, as important as they are to me personally, I don't find Bible stories to be all that entertaining.  Whatever the reason, I missed the Ten Commandments, I missed The Last Temptation of Christ, and I'm gonna miss this.  I'm also going to continue to pay zero attention to the controversy surrounding the movie.

Do I think it will be good?  I think that's up to James Caviezel - it'll all hinge on his performance.  He seems to me like a capable actor, so it'll probably be okay.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2004, 12:45:37 AM »

I think it's either going to be a major bomb or it's going to be one of the greatest religious movies ever made.  I've heard this is as bloody as the real thing probably was [I've read medical articles about what it was like to be crucified and if this is even one half as brutal as those articles made it sound I think it's really going to be something.]  

I think the movie will make a ton of money but probably won't get much critical acclaim due to critics being skittish about praising a movie that quite a few people in the movie business are predisposed to hate.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 01:03:10 AM »

Plan to see THE PASSION the first week when everyone can go. Sounds interesting so far. One of my favorite films is THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST. There was a version of the story of Jesus that use to play in my home town in the 70's and it wasn't the classics from the time, but I think an older version that was slow with narration, but entirely captivating as I watched it every Easter Sunday morning for many years. Wish I could see this powerful version again or at least know the title. Anyone know?

jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 01:44:38 AM »

JESUS OF NAZARETH, maybe?
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 02:22:24 AM »

It's not LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST, JESUS OF NAZARETH, nor KING OF KINGS. Never knew the title, but remember it well.

JohnL

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 02:55:22 AM »

>There was a version of the story of Jesus that use to play in my home town in the
>70's and it wasn't the classics from the time, but I think an older version that was
>slow with narration, but entirely captivating as I watched it every Easter Sunday
>morning for many years. Wish I could see this powerful version again or at least
>know the title.

Is that the one with a fairly graphic (for the time) stoning scene? I seem to recall watching one many years ago with a fairly bloody depiction of a stoning.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2004, 08:39:42 AM »

I'm currently trying to talk my wife into seeing The Passion.  One of my local theaters is already selling tickets for it's opening night.

I'm curious to see it after all of the controversy surrounding it.  I only wish that Mel would have left out the subtitles.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Derf
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2004, 12:33:29 PM »

I haven't decided yet about "The Passion."

I'm not trying to start another religious "discussion" (fight, flamewar, screaming match, whichever), and Scott is entitled to enjoy whatever movies he wants. That being said, I have to chime in here that "The Last Temptation of Christ" was about as biblically accurate as "The Life of Brian." It was about a guy who happened to be named Jesus. Any resemblance to the biblical Jesus ends there. I watched the movie to see what all the controversy was about and found it to be terribly boring. The inaccuracies were so great that the content wasn't offensive to me; it was just boring. If the movie hadn't been vilified before it was released, I'm convinced it would have immediately faded into obscurity as a huge box office bomb. I guess I'm probably something of a Bible thumper, but I'm also an English teacher, and I appreciate any story that is well done. To me, "Last Temptation" was neither well done nor thought provoking. From my Christian perspective, it wasn't offensive because it was so far off the mark that I couldn't even consider it a story about the biblical Jesus.

As for "The Passion," it sounds promising, but I guess I'll have to see it to judge the accuracy/spirit in which it was made.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Who's Going To Go See "The Passion" ? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.