Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:56:50 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  any info about John carpenter's assaut ? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: any info about John carpenter's assaut ?  (Read 3117 times)
popman
« on: August 27, 2001, 04:23:44 AM »

I saw somwhere that Carpenter is on the way to produce a remake of "assaut".

Anyone has more info about that ?
Squishy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2001, 07:24:21 AM »

He has remade it. It's called John Carpenter's Ice Cube Conquers The Martians. I mean, John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars.  

He's fat and round but, jumpin' jiminy,
He can sink just about any mo-oo-vie!

The fact that Ebert gave this a "thumbs-up" proves, once and for all, that he is on the take, and probably for cheap.
Flangepart
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2001, 10:46:31 AM »

Oh,man. I read the plot summery, and my first thought was,"Oh, another prison in space flick for the Sci-Fi channel." How many of those have we seen? Have they ever done a "women in chains in space prison" movie yet? This is new? Sheesh. Ya know, when Carpenter needs to make a car payment, this is what 'yas get.........
Chadzilla
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2001, 12:17:41 PM »

Carpenter did make a passing reference to it on the laserdisc commentary of AoP13, but the remake may go the way of the proposed Escape from New York television series - 'temporarily shelved' as more interesting and challenging appearing projects come up.

As far as the all the whining about Carpenter's endless repetition - remember he worships Howard Hawks and wags have whined that Hawks basically made the same movie over and over (Rio Bravo = El Dorado = Rio Lobo etc., etc., etc.).  That same complaint can be made about any other 'auteur' from Hitchcock to Kubrick to Romero to Lewis to Cronenberg.  A directors themes are no different than a musicians cords.  Each has their favorites and they play the hell out of them.  Sometimes the mixture works, other times not.  Usually the movies start to 'suck' and get 'boring' when the fan/critic/viewer becomes tired with the filmmakers themes and wants that person to do something 'new'.  There, I have used my minor in film for something, so the six years I spent at college haven't really been wasted after all.

Take care.
Squishy
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2001, 03:37:25 PM »

Who's whining? I'm laughing. And from now on, saving my money.
Squishy
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2001, 03:45:39 PM »

http://us.imdb.com/Games/Thugs/

See their review--by the ghost of Donald Pleseance!!
Flangepart
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2001, 06:42:48 PM »

Hummmmm.....Not with out merit. The Hawks films(Rio lobo...ect) were well execuited, but the plot similarites are unavoidable. Our local film critic, Frank Gabrinya, in his Ghosts of Mars review,reiterated a point that has always annoyed me, even thought i understand the pratical realitys that nessitate it. The Possessed Cannon Fodder rule, i calls it. When it would cost too much to create a group of intresting (Hopefully) alien attackers (Read Starship bugs wars), you just say"Well, the aliens have taken over the bodies of earth people and thier puppets now".Okey....but if the possession is not themeaticly nessary (Think Pods,people) then the financial realites get in the way of my enjoying the story. I donno, maby its just me, but the "Prison escape in space " movies are bugging me, likely from the inadiquate execution. Oh,well......
peter johnson
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2001, 07:03:06 PM »

I'm pretty certain that there have been several prison chicks in outer space escape flicks.  Ms. L. Quigley's name comes to mind on these, though the titles escape me.  Barbi (Temporarily Ms. Hugh Hefner) Benton was in one.
Chadzilla
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2001, 07:55:47 PM »

The thing keeping me from running out and seeing it is knowing that the whole thing is told in flashback (ala In the Mouth of Madness and Memoirs of an Invisible Man - both films I had serious problems with their narrative structure).  Now there is nothing wrong with past tense narration, but, like in ItMoM and MoaIM, the POV of the narrative IN THE FLASHBACK is THIRD PERSON.  In other words the narrator is telling the story from viewpoints that she has no way of knowing about.  Sloppy storytelling that.
Chris1
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2001, 10:38:23 PM »

They had pictures and talked about the new ones  in the Women In Prison web site they were sequels to some old ones of the late 80's and early 90's. but now in the future in space.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  any info about John carpenter's assaut ? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.