Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:40:33 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Top Eight Boogeymen « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Your Top Eight Boogeymen  (Read 3990 times)
Daniel Johnson
« on: February 16, 2004, 09:51:48 PM »

I'm having a poll of the top eight boogeymen in horror movies , to see which is the most popular, but am a little unsure of who to place in the poll for the best results so far I've been thinking...

1. Jason Voorhees (Friday the 13th Series)
2. Freddy Krueger (Nightmare on Elm Street Series)
3. Michael Myers (Halloween Series)
4. Leather Face (Texas Chainsaw Massacre Series)
5. Chucky (Child's Play Series)

but after that I am pretty much stuck. Any suggestions or lists of your favorite boogeymen would help.
Bgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004, 10:08:37 PM »

What counts as a boogeyman?

Would Pumpkinhead count. (I say yes)

What about Angela from Sleepaway camp? (i say no but how is that different than leatherface)

For my list.
(true boogyen)

Jason
Michael Myers
Pumpkinhead
Thin man (Phantasm)

Pseudo boogymen

Anglea

Ones that I don't like are
Freddy
and hellraiser
Daniel Johnson
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 10:32:26 PM »

True it is hard to define boogeyman, but try to think of it in a broad sense so I can narrow down the choices at a later time... oh and yes I was aware of Pinhead from Hellraiser, but I just dislike him so much, he might still get in the poll though.
eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004, 10:33:32 PM »

.   .   .   .   The Tall Man, is the guy from "Phantasm 1-5!!!!(Keep hope alive)," though I am usually wrong.  .  .  .  Pinhead ("Hellraiser 1-8 (pre-prod 7 & 8)").  .  .  .  Leprechaun ("Leprechaun 1-8?").  .  .  .  Candyman ("Candyman 1-4?") .  .  .  .  The onion from Aqua Teen Hunger Force (joke).  .  .  .  He who walks behind the shadow of the rows/rose? (ssttrreettcchh, "Children of the Corn 1-7?").  .  .  .  The Creeper ("Jeepers Creepers 1 & 2").  .  .  .  Cropsy (no f-ing clue, but heard of it).  .  .  .  Cryptee (count?, more of a friend).  .  .  .  Dr. Phibes (old school, and not a slasher).  .  .  .  Killjoy (obscure, "Killjoy 1 & 2").  .  .  .  Horace Pinker ("Shocker").  .  .  .  Jack Frost ("Jack Frost 1 & 2")

.     .     .   .  Groups:  .  .  .  Puppet Master dolls ("Puppet Master 1-9?").  .  .  .  Deadites ("Evil Dead 1-4!!!(Keep hope alive)") .  .  .  .  Cenobites ("Hellraiser 1-8").

from ATHF:
"Your Digital Ruler:  Now, role call.
Err (spelling help?):  Prepare to kiss ass.
Your Digital Ruler:  When I say your dumb name, please stand up briefly, but then quickly drop to your knees, and forsake all others before me.  Oh, hereā€™s a dumb name..." eeeee5.

Post Edited (02-16-04 22:39)
Bgrade
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 10:48:35 PM »

Nice list.

I agree with Jack Frost. Add him to my list. (behind The Tall man and Pumpkin head).

What about  the classics ike Dracula, the wolfman, the mummy, or frankenstein?  

Note: Killjoy sucks.
eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 11:04:47 PM »

.   .   .   .  Didn't think of K-lassics as boogeypersons.  .  .  .  Drac,  .  .  Frankie,  .  .   The Creature,  .  .   Bilial ("Basket Case 1-3"),  .  .  Mummy,  .  .  Wolfman,  .  .  Blob,  .  .  Various Kaiju,  .  .  The Blair Witch (ooooh),  .  .  Abbot and Costello (the horror, the horror),  .  .  Count Yorga,  .  .  Giant Gila Monster/Mantis/Spider/etc.  .  .  Jack-O,  .  .  Killer Klowns,  .  .  The Manster (not the character, the movie),  .  .  The Fly,  .  .  non-supernatural  "slashers" (i.e. Hitch, De Palma, & Argento),  .  .  Knights Templar (Ossorio series),  .  .  Willard.
.  .  .  .  Sorry, way too much, but classes begin tomorrow so I'm killing time.  
.  .  .  .  I hope this is enough choices for ya Daniel Johnson, so if your looking for diversity, I hope it helps.  My list (though this stuff fluctuates):  1. Shape (Mikey Myers).  2. The Tall Man.  3.  Freddy.  4.  Jason  5.  Pinhead.  6.  Leprechaun.  7.  Charles Ray (Chucky).  8.  Killjoy (Throw-away vote, but I'm one of two people who like these films).

from ATHF (not intended at anyone):
"Your Digital Ruler:  There is no dumb questions.
Moth Monster Man: Umm, yeah, right here
Your Digital Ruler:  In the back, yes, the retard with the dumb question."

Post Edited (02-16-04 22:37)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 07:37:56 AM »

Good call eeeee5 on the boogeyman subject. With that insight I'll make my picks:

1) Michael Myers
2) Wolfman (played by Lon Chaney Jr., because of the little speach he always has about himself turning into a Werewolf. Always cracks me up)
3) The Tall Man (Phantasm)
4) Preacher Leader Entity (in the 2nd or 3rd Poltergeist)
5) Dracula (most of them)
6) Jason (Myers is more effective)
7) Frankenstien
8) Leprechaun (I kinda like this character)
9) Pinhead
10) Knights Templar (Blind Dead and all zombie types)

Daniel Johnson
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 12:43:23 PM »

So far with the suggestions and lists made I'm thinking...

1. Jason
2. Michael Myers
3. Leprachaun
4. The Thin Man
5. The Creeper
6. Freddy Krueger
7. Chucky
8. Leatherface (maybe)

Classic horror movie boogeymen will not be included as I'm trying to focus on one's created within modern-standards (i.e. the last thirty years).
Daniel Johnson
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 12:44:13 PM »

Sorry for this kind of extreaneous post, but I forgot to thank everyone for their suggestions so far.
eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 08:14:09 PM »

.  .  .  .  Not to be a prick, but to clarify for posting a list Daniel Johnson, it is "The 'Tall' Man." (not a dig at anyone, I meant to help the list be accurate).

.  .  .  .  Burgomaster offers a even broader choice than I could (is "Magic" the movie with Anthony Hopkins?).

.  .  .  .  But if your looking contemporary you may want to include the killer from the "I Know What You Did..." films.  You NEED to include leatherface, though I don't like him, he is very relevent considering the recent release of the "remake" (really TCM 5).  If your audience is really into horror, you should include pop and odd names; if they are a general horror audience you will get a more fair fight between the most recognized names.  SciFilm does these things often and usually the most pop film wins, since stupid people like me join in a vote not knowing all the candidates, you may want to be broad, or eliminate all pop names and be really obscure.

Post Edited (02-17-04 20:57)
Bgrade
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 08:21:49 PM »

eeeee5 is correct.  I mistyped the first time.

My bad.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 08:54:04 PM »

Some of mine are a little unorthodox, and maybe not your idea of a traditional "boogeyman," but these are some of the most evil characters I can think of (in no particular order) . . .

1. Holland Perry, the evil twin from "The Other" (not to be confused with the Nicole Kidman movie . . .)

2. Guy Woodhouse, the husband in "Rosemary's Baby"

3. "Fats," the ventriloquist's dummy from "Magic" (he was much scarier in the book than in the movie)

4.  The Tall Man from "Phantasm"

5.  The killers from "Funny Games"

6.  Joe Pesci in "Goodfellas"

7.  Leatherface from "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre"

8.  The guy and his girlfriend from "Nekromantik"

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Daniel Johnson
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 03:57:13 PM »

Sorry about mixing up the 'Tall' Man and the 'Thin' Man I must have been thinking of that movie Thinner.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Top Eight Boogeymen « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.