Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:40:56 AM
714231 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7735 Members
Latest Member: WGUNannett
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Scream Series. Sucks or Rules? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Scream Series. Sucks or Rules?  (Read 3887 times)
Johny Bottom
« on: February 25, 2004, 03:09:07 AM »

I thought the Scream series sucked. I found them boring.
ash-campbell
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 05:53:42 AM »

the first one was good, then the only good bit in the the films after that was david arquette getting hit with the handle of the knife instead of the blade ha ha.
TheEvilDoctor
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 08:45:22 AM »

I personally hate them

Muahahahaha
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 08:49:34 AM »

I don't really hate the original.  I thought that it was a much needed breath of fresh air in the sagging horror scene of the time.  It was fun and self referential.

As for the sequels.....They Sucked.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
dean
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 09:04:48 AM »

At the time of it's release, everyone was nuts about this movie, and it was a bit of a kick up the bum for the horror industry.

But that doesn't make up for the horrible teen slashers that followed in it's wake.  Scream 3 was the most ridiculous excuse for a 'horror' film that i've ever seen.  It was too funny to be anything credible. The fact that it tried to link all three together was hilarious.

We studied Scream in Media Studies in high school, and we all got sick of it very quickly [we watched the opening scene like 20 times, and could quote every line of dialogue]

Over all, the Scream Series sucked.  The first was ok, but then got repetitive and lost all credibility with the next two.  Also don't forget that it's unforgivable that Scream spawned Valentine, I know what you did last summer etc, the world was by and large a better place without them.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 09:47:56 AM »

dean wrote:

> We studied Scream in Media Studies in high school, and we all
> got sick of it very quickly [we watched the opening scene like
> 20 times, and could quote every line of dialogue]
>

Hate to say it, but that sounds like a wasted education.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
JohnL

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 02:28:17 PM »

I liked the scream movies, although the first was the best. There are various scenes in the others that I get a kick out of, like the end of Scream II where Sidney is being held hostage and wants Cotton Weary to help her. She tells him "Hey Cotton, remember that talkshow deal you wanted me to do? Done!" and he shoots the psycho. Or when they're standing over her talking about they always come back and Sidney shoots her in the head.
Eirik
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 03:20:15 PM »

Sucked.  Hard.

The first one would have been a pretty cool satirical send-up if only they had cast ANYBODY but that whiny, weepy, blubbering, over-acting simp Neve Campbell in the lead role.  (I won't prolong the "actresses whose looks are overrated" thread with a post on her).

The later movies blew off the fact that the first was a send-up and were simply the result of sleazy producers going back to the well a couple of times to cash in.  Can't blame em if the public was dumb enough to pay for it.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 09:45:05 PM »

I say it sucks with a capital "SUX"

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
I luv dolma
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004, 10:22:37 PM »

They had cats, sir.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 12:57:21 AM »

The Scream series is crap, and Kevin Williamson should be drawn and quartered for ruining the mainstream horror industry for almost 10 years.  Say what you will, even Jason Takes Manhattan was better that this.  The first one was amusing for about one viewing, then all the snide remarks got old and irritating.
The worst thing is that the buzz around it was "this movie is cool and fresh and pokes fun at itself being a horror movie, how clever!"  Obviously none of those people had ever seen There's Nothing Out There, a far funnier, far better, far more clever horror spoof made several years previous to Scream.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 02:03:44 AM »

.  .  .  .  Wes (from the director of "Scream") Craven (that catch frase really p**sed me off buying ANOES 1 & 7, I wonder if they put that on "LHotL" or "THHE" too?) alienates people from varying generations, I'm sure LHotL and THHE fans were pretty p**sed about ANOES, and ANOES fans pretty p**sed about Scream.  But he is an amazing director to speak to three seperate generations.  Since the Scream films are not hip anymore it is severely easy to bash them now, and since they are s'posed to represent my generation (kind of) it can turn people off easily.
.  .  .  .  I did not like the concept behind Scream, it seemed to be a murder mystery to me back then, and now seems like a knowing revivification of the giallo/horror noir for contemporary American audiences (I am one of those annoying purists about what horror films should be, but I will watch various films called "horror," I just wouldn't classiufy them as such).  And while it is easy to see parallels to TNOT's inside-humor (I hate constantly saying this cause it makes me seem really stupid, but I have never been able to find this at a video store, and have yet to see it, but have read various reviews) it also is in alignment with his "misunderstood gem" (everyone who likes a film claims this in defense, and since I like it, but don't want to sound glib, I'll use it these "" things) ANOES 7's narrative structure.  Everyone I overheard liked the first two films in the series, but I constantly blew hot air at the people I knew that the idea sucked and so will the films, and they do, I have seen them all, and I own 2 & 3 (yes I do keep films even if I do not like them that much).  
.  .  .  .  My generation, grew up in the void of 80's to 90's which was purely dominated by the big 4: Halloween, ANOES, Friday's, and Hellraiser; so I am happy that Scream (and the new big one, "The 6th Sense") came along, to reinterpret stock horror history for a populous audience.  We needed something, so we got that stuff, and since fandom usually kills a film over time, these films are dead now, they'll be alive again.  (Man, I walked into a video store a couple of months ago and saw what I think was a DTV Craven film, that was really depressing, he certainly can miss but he gets less respect than Carpenter for some reason).
.  .  .  .  I usually post these annoyingly long unninformative things, so thanks for letting me p**s you off.

from "Tough Crowd" (02/23/04) (Colin Quin and Jim Norton):
CQ:  Wait a minute-
JN:  Let me finnish-
CQ:  OK, I'll let you finnish first.
JN:  No, no, because you're gonna blow out my candle to make yours seem brighter.
JohnL

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 07:38:29 PM »

>Everyone I overheard liked the first two films in the series,

I didn't like the second film that much. One and Three are the best in my opinion, along with New Nightmare.
Drezzy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2004, 09:58:40 PM »

Without reading anybody else's reply, I'll say this: it's a great parody of slasher films. Seriously. Notice how in most slasher series the films get progressively worse? So did the Scream series. The first movie was witty, charming, and fairly revolutionary (gave new life to the slasher films, although I wish it really didn't), but I think my enjoyment of the series overall died with the best character in the second movie (if you don't know who it is, then you're a tool).

"Billy Lumis? Billy Lumis? What the f**k?!"

And as the world began crumbling down
Nobody around seemed to care
dean
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2004, 10:07:43 PM »

>>but I think my enjoyment of the series overall died with the best character in the second movie <<  

Yeah I have to agree on that one, however my passion for this series had died long before that, he was just the only one who kept me vaguely interested.

That being said, I do praise them for killing off someone you actually didn't want to die, usually I'd imagine that they'd cop out and keep them alive [like the Chef in Deep Blue Sea]
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Scream Series. Sucks or Rules? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.