Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:16:21 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Passion of the Christ (spoilers, I guess, and the boat sinks in Titanic, too) « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Passion of the Christ (spoilers, I guess, and the boat sinks in Titanic, too)  (Read 15922 times)
lester1/2jr
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2004, 08:39:06 AM »

Robin Quivers (from the Howard Stern show) said she fell asleep twice and when she woke up they were still beating on him.  and they show all the jews in prfile so yu can see the nose hahaha.  "What maks big daddy happy, what makes the buzzard buzz?"- Guided by Voices
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2004, 09:01:32 PM »

I saw this movie today and I thought it was excellent . . . not quite a classic, but very close.

Two noteworthy things about my viewing experience:

1.  The running time of over 2 hours passed VERY quickly . . . there wasn't a single dull scene in the movie.

2.  After about 15 minutes, I wasn't really aware of the subtitles anymore.  I think that by the end of the movie I was actually understanding some of the spoken dialogue.  Odd.  (Although, I did take 2 years of Latin in high school, plus my wife speaks Portuguese, so maybe I have an ear for foreign languages).

As for the "controversial" aspects:

* Anti-semitism?  I didn't see any.  I think this is just another example of certain people protesting a movie that they probably haven't even seen.

* Violence?  Yes . . . plenty of pain and suffering.  But I suspect that if Jesus died for the sins of the world, he must have suffered at LEAST as much as shown in the movie.

I give this movie 3 1/2 stars out of 4.  I can't put my finger on any specific element that made me like it, but it did completely draw me in for a couple of hours and make me forget that I was watching a movie.  I guess that says something special about this film.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JohnL

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2004, 11:07:04 PM »

>I plan on seeing this because I read a review that says its pretty average and is
>really just Mel gibson being a pretentious Wanker.

What was the review called? The Arrogance of the Gibson? :)
Chris K.
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2004, 02:19:37 AM »

Well, I just got back from seeing THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST and all I can say was that I was MORTIFIED beyond belief. And that's not a good thing.

First off, THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST is indeed about Jesus’ last 12 hours on earth before his crucifixion and yes he is brutally tortured and beaten so do expect some on-screen gore. Yet, the film completely leaves out Jesus’ teachings. Jesus died for the sins of mankind, true. Now it’s common knowledge that we know what Jesus taught, but without his teachings (i.e., love, faith, hope, etc.) used as part of an efficient back story within the film to help convey who Jesus is and what he was doing, then the scenes of him being tortured and beaten to a bloody pulp don’t really come across too well. But during the torture scenes, I was so upset and so angered that I felt like going on a rampage in the theatre. They go on for so long that it’s pretty much a litmus test, and a test that I couldn’t pass! It was like the film was assaulting me with its gallons of kyro syrup stage blood; and this is a religious picture!

And Gibson’s direction wasn’t exactly breathtaking to begin with, either. Long slooooow-motion sequences are used to capture the dramatic elements, but all it does is stretch the painful 2 hour plus running time and the slow motion becomes overused and horribly cheap. Beautiful the film is not; the cinematography gives an ugly image and doesn’t capture anything beautiful within the celluloid frame. As for the gore, there is plenty of it and it flows like a river; quite unnecessary and very horrible. And the acting was just too over-the-top, complete with mugging taking place all over the camera. However, James Clavezel did a nice job as Jesus, so I’ll give credit where credit is due. And also, if my late-night memory serves me right, what in the hell was that flashback scene in THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST of Jesus making a desktop table and claiming that it would be the world’s greatest invention? Ha, ha, ha! Give me a break, Mel! And I don't believe for a moment that the Holy Spirt was "within" Mel when he made the film.

I am certain that some of my fellow posters here will comment back to me addressing that I might be too harsh on the film. But, I have to be honest with myself and to everybody here when I express my opinions of certain films that I like/dislike. Maybe I just didn’t “get it” when I saw the film, or maybe it was the hype surrounding it that ruined it for me. All I know is that I went into the theatre with an open mind, putting past waht differences I had on the films creator Mel Gibson, and in return I just felt disgusted and angered at such a horrible picture. I’m sure somebody who saw the film got its “message” and that’s fine by me; I certainly didn’t as I saw no message. THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST was just an art-less (yes, I said art-less), crass, utterly pretentious film with nothing to offer. To me, it was just another movie and I treated it just as it was during the mid-section of the fourth reel: a MOVIE. As for the religious groups supporting this film, their hypocrisy knows no bounds. Back in 1988, religious groups tried to ban THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST due to being “vulgar” and “violent”. And yet, these are the same religious groups who went out and bought advanced tickets of THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST so as to hand them out to people in the streets despite the film being “violent” as well. Different times maybe? Possibly. Compared to Mel’s film, THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST was a much better film and had a meaning behind it than THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST.

Mel Gibson pretty much financed the film with his own money and it seems he is going to make every penny back. That’s fine; my $7.50 will never return back to me. Even so, THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST was just a tormented experience that just had me upset. In the end, I apologize for this negative review. I just couldn’t find the film acceptable. Sigh, I await for my demise from my fellow posters.
Fluffy CatFood
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2004, 02:42:41 AM »

So does this movie actually show any of christ's passion? I ask because so far it sounds like this movie is an extended arse kicking scene.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2004, 04:01:53 AM »

Chris - no one's gonna spaz on you for not liking the movie, dude.  This isn't Jerry Falwell's message board.
Fluffy CatFood (great name, by the way) - yeah, it's pretty much an extended arse kicking scene.  It's best to go in not thinking about the fact that some of the motives behind the flick may not be pure (i.e. Gibson's pretensiousness).  Just look at it like you'd look at the Ten Commandments:  a movie about a story in the Bible.  I think most of the people going in understand the "died for our sins" concept, so it's really not necessary to beat people over the head with that.  There are still lots of Jesus' teachings talked about, some in flashbacks, some by other people as he's being beaten, but they're not real prevalent.
And yes, the table thing is really silly.  Jesus shouldn't be a comic relief figure.  I can't believe I forgot to mention that.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2004, 11:41:18 AM »

Chris K:

In response to your comments I will say this:

While we definitely have opposing views on this movie, I can certainly understand why you feel the way you do.  This is one of those movies where peoples opinions will be all over the place and I can clearly see why someone would be mortified by it.

One of the strongest points that you make is that the movie doesn't spend much time dealing with Jesus' teachings.  You are correct.  There are only a few brief flashbacks that deal with this.  However, in Gibson's defense, this movie is not about the life and teachings of Jesus . . . it is about his suffering and death.  I can understand how leaving out his teachings would make someone feel a bit "empty" while watching all of the violence.  But it didn't affect me that way.  I guess I have seen enough movies about Jesus' life that I didn't need to see a retelling of it here.  Other people will disagree with me, but that's okay.

In my opinion, all Mel was trying to say was:  "Being crucified is more than just hanging from a cross while heavenly music plays (as depicted in so many other movies).  There is a trmrndous amount of physical suffering and humiliation that goes along with it."  This movie gave me MUCH more of a sense of the tremendous sacrifice that Jesus made than any other movie I have seen.  

Chris, you had a hard time just WATCHING those scenes.  To that end, Gibson succeeded in his message.  Because if you had a hard time watching those things, imagine what it would be like to actually have someone DOING those things to you.  That would be quite a sacrifice.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Chris K.
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2004, 01:08:08 PM »

The Burgomaster wrote:

> Chris K:
>
> One of the strongest points that you make is that the movie
> doesn't spend much time dealing with Jesus' teachings.  You are
> correct.  There are only a few brief flashbacks that deal with
> this.  However, in Gibson's defense, this movie is not about
> the life and teachings of Jesus . . . it is about his suffering
> and death.  I can understand how leaving out his teachings
> would make someone feel a bit "empty" while watching all of the
> violence.  But it didn't affect me that way.  I guess I have
> seen enough movies about Jesus' life that I didn't need to see
> a retelling of it here.  Other people will disagree with me,
> but that's okay.

Okay now, indeed that the film is not about the teachings of Jesus and is about his suffering and death. I have seen some Passion Plays, but even those that I have seen do in fact give an insight to Jesus' teachings and are not left out. But without any more insight of his teachings and beliefs conveyed within THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST, then it makes his death, and I hate to say it in this way so please don't be offended here, come across on the film as meaningless in it's display of brutal torture of Christ. Now I personally don't believe that his death was meaningless at all, so let's just get that straight here for a moment. Yet every single frame of film featuring Christ being whipped, beaten, etc. without any full inisght on why he is there, what he has taught, and why is he being treated so barbariclly by his oppressors doesn't communicate very well towards some viewers.

So while I do understand Gibson's intentions, to me it seemed as though the translation didn't make it from book to film very successfully as a result. If you don't agree with me on this and what else I have said, I understand the different viewpoints. Yet I am speaking of all of this through a personal feeling and not just pulling this all out of the clear-blue sky.

> Chris, you had a hard time just WATCHING those scenes.  To that
> end, Gibson succeeded in his message.  Because if you had a
> hard time watching those things, imagine what it would be like
> to actually have someone DOING those things to you.  That would
> be quite a sacrifice.

I agree with you on this one. It would be quite a sacrifice and I will admit that I did understand this point within the film. Jesus' crucifixion isn't supposed to be very pleasent at all, so it did hit me in the heart pretty hard. But it takes 2 hours and 15 minutes to convey this message with looooong torture sequences and over-the-top violence, especially when Mel said his original cut would be around 90 minutes (and I'm not joking when I say this, 90 minutes was the original planned cut)! I can see where you are getting at with this Burgo, it's a point that Mel is trying to prove. But it's a point that so much as pushes the door too wide open with it's unnerving violent streak. Maybe I'm getting to sensitive on this issue of the violence portrayed in the film, but it all just left me cold and the violence really looked passed the message.

Even so, because of the bloodshed and less focus on the message (and one that I really coudn't see-I thought it worked better in JESUS OF NAZARETH and THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD), it just makes me dislike Mel and his film even more. And in the end, I really have to recommend the Good Book of the 4 Gospels over the film, and I am serious when I say this. And at this time, I am in search for a copy of the Italian film THE GOSEPEL ACCORDING TO ST. MATTHEW, which was made way before Gibson's film and I am told it's quite better. I'll have to see.

Oh, and to add a much more lighter moment towards this discussion, I just recently heard that Mel is in fact donating the proceeds of the film  large box office intake towards charity. And it's definately a wise move, so Mel isn't as naieve as I thought he was.

eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2004, 01:56:53 PM »

.  .  .  .  "Tea and cake or death!  Little red cookbook, Little red cookbook."  "Tastes of human, sir."  
.  .  .  .  Sorry, I was remembering "Dress to Kill," thanks.
.  .  .  .  I wanted to see it eventually cause all the controversy, but then I rented the NC-17 version of "Crash" on Thursday, and realized, yet again, that just because there is a controversy, doesn't mean that I'll like the film.
.  .  .  .  If they do a sequal for an Easter release in the future, remember that a basket (the kind that children get little chocolate Jesus' from [Not the ones that Belial lives in]) actually does relate to Moses (I think that's who it relates to, someone brought it up once).

from "Crash" (James Spader as James Bellard):
"It's all very satisfying.  I'm not sure I understand why."

Post Edited (02-29-04 13:50)
Susan
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2004, 02:09:07 PM »

Am i imagining things or did Chris have chinese symbols throughout his message?

BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2004, 02:34:45 PM »

I won't use the word "hypocrisy," but I do think it is interesting that some of the people, and I have no body in particular, protesting the protests against this film, no doubt protested against "The Last Temptation of Christ," "The Life of Brian," etc. It is as if "Freedom of Speech" has become "Freedom of Speech for Me, But Not for You."

As for the violence, I know some people said the same thing about the violence in Mel Gibson's "Braveheart," but, as they took it to be an anti-government film, then the violence was okay in that context. Of course, those people are usually more concerned about the language and the sex in a film, then the violence.

As for whether "The Last Temptation of Christ" or "The Passion" is a better film, while I do have plans to see "The Passion," as I would see anything reportedly to be historical, and I have seen "The Last Temptation of Christ," but not all of it, I can't make that judgment. The judgment I can make is that of the two directors--Mel Gibson and Martin Scorsese--I like Scorsese better.

wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2004, 10:18:03 PM »

I went and saw this movie today with my family and damn was this a powerful movie.Despite what you think about Mel Gibson he is diffenatly showing that he is a very good director and has a great visual eye. The movie is very dark and moody and while watching it I couldn't help but think that Mel should make a horror movie next.
Ive heard alot of complaints that the movie did not show enough about the teachings of Jesus, are you people deaf and blind? Its filled with his teachings, mostly about love and forgivenes. It clearly shows that despite the torture he recived he never onced cursed his tortuers and persecuters, instead he asked God to forgive them.
But it is true that the movie is largly focused on Jesus suffering and death on the cross. Its something that Im actually glad to see because until now the only images we have about is crucifiction are the nice little holy cards with Jesus on the cross and a few blood drops on his body.I think that this is something that all of us need to see to truly realise how he suffered and died.
I came out of the theater with a deep sense of devotion and understanding for my lord.
The movie is as bloody and savage as every review has said, and I feel that most of the negative responses to the movie was made out of very close minded view of what happened to Jesus. Its the same way people will support war and then turn away when they see the death and devestation caused by it. They are unable to face the brutal reality of it.
I do have my doubts that Jesus was tortured really as bad as what was shown in the movie simply because he would have died long before he ever got to the crucifiction, let alone carry a 200 to 300 lb wooden cross as far as he did. But I can let these things slide as sometimes we have to be hit in the face buy some harsh imagry to wake us up.
This is a movie that believers and non believers must see. And if you don't find your self moved by it then you need some serious help.
Also on one last note if James Caviezel is not at least nominated for the Academy Award for his rule as Jesus, I am perssonally going to hunt the judges down and beat the holy s**t out of them.
Say what you want about that but even though I know Jesus was here to teach love and forgiveness, I am still driven by anger and revenge.

Smells like popcorn and shame
Chris K.
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2004, 10:42:11 PM »

Susan wrote:

> Am i imagining things or did Chris have chinese symbols
> throughout his message?

Chinese symbols? I don't understand what you mean by that, Susan? Any insight as to why you felt I had Chinese symbols in my message. Would really like to know.

Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2004, 12:57:31 AM »

Nick you hit the nail right on the head when you said,"This is a movie that believers and non-believers must see." It is not an easy movie to watch but it isn't meant to be. The girl sitting next to me litterally broke down crying several times. A very well made and powerful movie. It gets a big recommendation from me.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Susan
Re:
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2004, 11:05:56 PM »

Chris K. wrote:

> Chinese symbols? I don't understand what you mean by that,
> Susan? Any insight as to why you felt I had Chinese symbols in
> my message. Would really like to know.
>

I have no insight, I just see em. I never seen em before in a msg, not that i remember so it can't be my computer. Weird

Post Edited (03-01-04 22:06)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Passion of the Christ (spoilers, I guess, and the boat sinks in Titanic, too) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: osmosis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.