Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:36:47 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I just bought my first DVD! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Author Topic: I just bought my first DVD!  (Read 15470 times)
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 26, 2004, 09:14:13 PM »

I was in a local dollar store, Dollar Tree, and up next to the register there was a box full of DVD's, each shrinkwrapped in a cardboard sleeve. Most of them were 3-4 episodes of old TV shows like Ozzie & Harriet, some old B/W movies, some blaxploitation (I'm blanking on the titles), a couple kung fu films and some generic 1980's stuff that I'd never heard of. Then as I was flipping through the last stack I spotted a couple copies of one that looked like it had the mutant offspring of Mr. Potatohead on the cover. Pulling it out I discovered it was Creature! Klaus Kinski is listed on the front and the back has a capsule description of the movie, but no other credits or pictures from the film. There are no special features listed (others listed some) but I figured how wrong could I go for a buck?

I don't currently have a DVD player although I do have a new computer with a DVD drive, which I haven't set up yet (ned to make some room so I can keep both and network them together).

Anyone else seen these? The back says it's from Dollar DVD with an email address but no web site listed.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 09:23:18 PM »

Your 1st DVD!?

Where have you been?

I bought my 1st DVD player & DVD's back in '99...5 years ago!

You'll like Creature...it's great!
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 10:14:40 PM »

John, I too bought my first DVD before I had a player.  It was "Five Fingers of Death."  Even after I had my player I didn't watch the damn thing for several years.  When I finally did, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
daveblackeye15

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 11:27:52 PM »

Attaboy JohnL! I only started getting into DVD's last year.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
JohnL

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004, 06:51:23 AM »

>Your 1st DVD!?
>
>Where have you been?

Clinging to video tapes! :)

>I bought my 1st DVD player & DVD's back in '99...5 years ago!

I don't really buy movies, at least I haven't so far, so I didn't have a big need for a DVD player. I'm not really a big video renter either.

>You'll like Creature...it's great!

I know, I've seen it on cable back in the 80's. I even have a copy I recorded (if the tape is even still watchable) from one of the premium channels.

>John, I too bought my first DVD before I had a player.

Well, technically, I HAVE the player (DVD drive), it just isn't set up yet. I need to make room for the new system so that I can keep my current system as well.
Nathan Shumate
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 09:43:36 AM »

I picked up a stack at my own Dollar Tree:
Karate Warriors
Triumph of Sherlock Holmes
Secret Weapon (another Sherlock Holmes)
TNT Jackson
Mr. Wong, Detective
Bail Out (Linda Blair/David Hasselhoff)
His Girl Friday
Dementia 13
The Terror

No Creature at my location, dang it.

Karate Warriors, TNT Jackson, and Bail Out  all billed themselves as being from Dollar DVD, with a URL on the back: dollar-dvd.com.  There's no website there now, but the domain is registered to the people behind Brentwood Home Video -- the people who put out those "10 movies on 5 DVDs" compilations.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 09:44:08 AM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of buying a lot of movies.  At least, that is often the result I have seen when someone gets a DVD player.    Yours truly included.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jayson
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 02:34:42 PM »

i just bought a Phillips DVD recorder (for $200!!!!) so i am planning on renting movies from Hollywood video--and making my own copy.SWEET!

"Maybe death will stop yer yammering"--Marge Simpson
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 04:17:10 PM »

There's a Dollar Tree here in the city I live in but I've never been to it.

I think I'm gonna have to check the place out and see what they got for movies!
raj

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2004, 04:23:16 PM »

Very true.  My dvd collection is starting to approach my cd collection in size, despite cds have about a ten year head start.  I'll only start worrying if it approaches my vinyl collection.
Yaddo42
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2004, 04:38:14 PM »

Turn back JohnL, turn back! I got a dvd player in May 2002, and bought 5 cheapo discs, must have 100 now. It's an addiction I tell you.

Then again it's nice to have "Master of the Flying Guillotine" and M*A*S*H episodes handy to watch anytime.
Susan
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2004, 07:38:46 PM »

it's funny you mention that, this morning i saw on the news a bust on a dollar store for selling fake dvd's (pirated)

JohnL

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2004, 09:23:19 PM »

>Welcome to the wonderful world of buying a lot of movies. At least, that is often
>the result I have seen when someone gets a DVD player.

Thanks. I doubt I'll go that wild, since I can't afford to buy that many DVD's. There are a few things that I definitely want to get, like the Firefly series, but for the most part, I don't see myself buying a ton of movies.

>i just bought a Phillips DVD recorder (for $200!!!!) so i am planning on renting
>movies from Hollywood video--and making my own copy.SWEET!

Most likely, it includes some kind of copy prevention which will prevent you from doing this. Hopefully not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. I doubt that they would go to the trouble of putting Macrovision on DVD's (actually in the player itself), and then turn around and make a recorder that will make perfect copies.

>it's funny you mention that, this morning i saw on the news a bust on a dollar store
>for selling fake dvd's (pirated)

Did they give any details?
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2004, 04:00:23 PM »

Ah, yes.  I still remeber my first DVDs.  I bought 2 the day I bought my DVD player (back in the days when there were only about 30 titles available).  My first 2 were:

* HOODLUM

* THE ARRIVAL

The rest, my friends, is history . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jayson
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2004, 04:28:02 PM »

JohnL writes:

>Most likely, it includes some kind of copy prevention which will prevent you from doing this. Hopefully not, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did. I doubt that they would go to the trouble of putting Macrovision on DVD's (actually in the player itself), and then turn around and make a recorder that will make perfect copies.<

If it does try to do that-i can always record a DVD onto VHS, and then copy that VHS onto a DVD. I also have alot of old TV series on tape that i want to put on DVD. These include:

Titus
V-the series
Mamas' Family
Sledgehammer!
Superbowls 36 and 38

"Maybe death will stop yer yammering"--Marge Simpson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I just bought my first DVD! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.