Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:27:52 PM
713372 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE PATRIOT: If you liked this film, then do not read this statement « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE PATRIOT: If you liked this film, then do not read this statement  (Read 7095 times)
Chris K.
« on: March 06, 2001, 06:48:27 PM »

I just saw THE PATRIOT on video last week and it did not turn out to be what it promised to be. The acting was good, but to God damned exagerated.

What really offended me was the portrail of the British. Now, I like the British and if you think about it "Who founded this country?" The Puritans who were BRITISH! But, the film makes the British look like evil, Satan worshipping bastards who really hate Americans. How untrue is that? In the firstplace, the British are actually proud of us for running a successfully independent country. Second, they have never bothered us. So why be crude to them now? You can blame Hollywood for that. Hollywood seems to have failed history class so they don't bother studying the historical information that is needed for the film. I really don't take it too seriously when something I like is mangled up in film, but the British are not evil people for God's sake. That is almost like saying America is the most kindest place in the world. Has anybody ever been to New York or Chicago? Their are about 6 million a***oles in these type of cities in America who will say "How would you like this newspaper shoved up your wazoo" even if you bump into them by accident.

I have read reviews from people who said "This is like a history lesson come to life" and "Really educational on how history was made". Again, dead wrong. As an American film, it portrays the Americans as the good guys and the British as the bad guys. Basically, when it comes to war NOBODY IS THE GOOD GUY OR BAD GUY. And war is really not a good thing. War is the last resort when you do not get your way.

And lets not forget that Thomas Paine, who came up with the use of "common sense", was British. Wow.

As an American, I am proud to be a patriot. But, when history is terribly distorted on film then I am ashamed to be an "American" who is told to believe that "we are better than any other country in the world". How do we know that for sure? How is this really true? For all we know England could be better than America itself. But I will not go quite so far on this subject since it is getting to be alittle controversial for it's own right.

So in conclusion, read a history book to know the true historical events. The film may be classy and enjoyable, but don't believe that "British are evil" crap created the Hollywood morons. Historically inaccurate is the correct word for THE PATRIOT.
Chadzilla
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2001, 07:27:02 PM »

Well put Mr. K.  I've heard that the upcoming Pearl Harbor is similiarly inaccurate in its depiction of history.  Wouldn't a more objective and even handed look at these events make them more powerful, and meaningful, to the movie going audiences?  I guess I'm in the minority on that opinion.
Chris K.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2001, 08:53:11 PM »

If Hollywood would use their time wisely and check their historical refferences, Hollywood could make "them more powerful, and meaningful, to the moviegoing audience." But in today's society, the audience seems to be pulling themselves away from requesting to make a film that is historicaly accurate, or politicaly correct for that matter. In fact, Hollywood could make a film about buildings exploding for about three hours long and the audience will see that because they don't care about the political correcteness or not. And that is what makes me sad sometimes. If I saw a film about buildings exploding it would be good-FOR ABOUT FIVE MINUTES. And then that's it. No plot or no political correctness. And yet the audience loves it and I don't. And this just goes to show that the inteligence level is really going DOWN between the audience and the person who does not like it. I don't mean this staement to say that "Everybody is stupid", but it would be nice if a historical film would be reseached more before filming it. And that is what THE PATRIOT is all about. It's a mixture of inaccurate history combined with over the top action that does not fit the film at all due to it's incorrect history. Once when Hollywood shoves this film down the audience's throat, they believe that THE PATRIOT is a film that "comes to life as a history lesson". In other words, instead of reading a "real" history book the audience will watch a film that "has it all wrong" and will believe the film is correct and the history books are not.

But when I say "Don't read my statement if you like the film", that is clearly aimed at those who liked the film and believe that it is "true history". But I am not saying that everybody on the forum liked the film or hated it, it's just that with statements like the first one I made will get me riddiculed due to my "comments towards America". Again, I am an American patriot, but I do feel insulted when Hollywood screws up history.

But wait! Their is more historical inacuracy not in films, but towards peoples education as well. I know people who make fun of the French even though they helped us out of the Revolutionary War. People call the French "scum" or "dirty people" and yet when I hear somebody say "We kicked the British's ass when our fore-fathers fought in the Revolutionary War and we did it on our own" I remember from my history class that the French helped us out defeat the British. Either some people need to WAKE UP or they need to go back to school real soon.

But then again, the French stiffed us during World War 1 and 2 when we bailed them out. But, we deserved it because after the Revolutionary War America was in debt and we owed the French some money after they helped us out. And due to the "cheap buy" that we did with the Louisiana Purchase by giving the French a small sum of money, we stiffed them so they stiffed us back. But not many people see it that way.

But getting back to my statement, I feel that somebody will read the first one and will understand the whole purpose of the statement. But, I am also sure that somebody will take it the wrong way and say some insulting comment towards me. Only time will tell.

Basically, my statement is just an afterthought of the film and I do welcome others beliefs and opinions on this subject even if they agree with me or not.
Josh Leman
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2001, 09:10:56 PM »

Pearl Harbor is going to be one of the most ridiculous historical manglings ever filmed.  In the trailers we see kids playing baseball in broad daylight before looking up and seeing the planes, even though the attack took place at 8 IN THE MORNING ON THE WESTERN COAST OF HAWAII.  Apparently Bruckheimer and Bay think the Japanese flew over Oklahoma at 3 in the afternoon.  And like The Patriot, I'm sure we can expect the film to portray the Japanese as bloodthirsty monsters.

The movie might be okay, but I'm sure my history professor will be p**sed.
Chadzilla
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2001, 12:30:25 PM »

Pearl Harbor is directed by Michael Bay?!

Oh s*** is it ever gonna be a bloated corndog of a 'summer movie'.  I have loathed every single 'movie' Michael Bay has made.  They are perfect examples of the intelligence insulting crapola being lobbed onto theater screens across the country.  I have hated Michael Bay ever since Bad Boys, where he showed gunfights in chaotic medium shot close-ups of the actors firing at the camera and then edited them together with complete disregard as to where the actors had been standing BEFORE the gunfight.  I mean they were only two or three feet away from each other! They are shooting in a confined space!  They are hitting NOTHING!  ARGH!

And The Rock?  Piece of s*** as well.  I mean just stupid, stupid, stupid.  

And then Armaggedon?  That is the absolute worst cinematic misfire I have ever seen, that movie is such a skull to me that even thinking about it makes me red faced and induces seizures.  There is not one single realistic moment in that entire, over long, odious comic relief mixed with special effects spectacle.  It is the nadir of stupid cinema.  It makes Virus look like 2001 in comparison.

When it comes to Pearl Harbor movies I'll stick with Tora, Tora, Tora!
Josh Leman
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2001, 06:55:48 PM »

I sort of liked The Rock (Connery and Harris were good), but otherwise I am in complete agreement.  Armageddon is one of the most unwatchable movies I've ever seen, edited so rapidly and haphazardly you feel like you're watching the tip of a spinning propeller blade.  Even Ed Wood had a better sense of sequence and context.

Pearl Harbor might conceivably be fun, in a $200 million video game kind of way.  But I'd really rather not have filmmakers like Michael Bay and Roland Emmerich rewriting history for us.
Mix Masta Minion
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2001, 12:44:11 AM »

John Woo directs it.
Mad_Bunny
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2001, 05:09:48 AM »

Not having been there, I have no idea whether or not children were playing baseball at 8:00 am in the morning. (little league maybe?)  I do know that the trailer features some pretty powerfull images.  I don't pretend to be able to speak for anyone that has been there.
 I do know that as an event with such a huge impact there won't possibly be any way of doing it justice.  With a single attack the Japanese ended a policy of (admittedly eroding) isolationism and possibly changed the outcome of the entire war, effectively changing the world as we know it.  

Remember U-571? Based on real events that would probably make a better movie.  (Wrong U-boat, wrong concept etc..)  

Just remember:  People use the freedom of speech to make up for freedom of thought.  

MB
Chris K.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2001, 02:26:09 PM »

You said "People use the freedom of speech to make up for freedom of thought". As much as the people in Hollywood do that in films that take place in historical value, the concept of "using correct history" comes to mind. If you "were there or not" does not matter, if the historical event is written in numerous history books then it does matter. I DO NOT want to see a film based on history events (Civil War, World War 2, etc.) mangled up in films by Hollywood biggots.

For example, THE PATRIOT makes the whole British continent look evil. Well as history books say, two well known British members of King George III court wanted the American's to have an independent colony. Even the British people themselves objected to King George's decision to go to war. But are these historical facts explained in the film? No. Therefore it makes the American's look like the big heros when in fact  that is not true. Hell, even George Washington was British so basically it's British fighting British! Unlike Hollywood, I passed my history class. But Hollywood makes us look like the heros and the British the enemy. As I stated earlier, WAR IS WAR AND NOBODY IS THE GOOD GUY OR THE BAD GUY.

This is the perfect example of "distorted Hollywood history". Even the scene of Mel Gibson hacking up at least 20 British soldiers is riddiculous.

In conclusion, if this "new" war film turns out to be totaly inaccurate and ludicrous then it is another example of "distorted Hollywood history" and I hope nobody will believe it is a "history lesson come to life on the big screen".
Chadzilla
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2001, 07:52:34 PM »

As to whether or not children were actually playing baseball at 8:00 am in the morning. Who knows?  Who cares?  Michael Bay simply placed them there as a "symbol" of the innocence of America about to be shattered by the bombing of Pearl Harbor.  I'm sure that Bay, being a director incapable of emotionally connecting with the audience, will fill this movie with lots of impressive explosions and fireballs and simplistically watered down "facts" since its primary purpose will be to entertain on the level of spectacle alone.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE PATRIOT: If you liked this film, then do not read this statement « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.