Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:03:49 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT-Liberal talk radio? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: OT-Liberal talk radio?  (Read 5791 times)
Jayson
Dedicated Viewer

« on: March 04, 2004, 04:40:59 PM »

I just heard on Drudge that they finally found someone stupid enough to host the new Liberal talk radio comming out soon. It will be UN-funnyman Al Franken. I also hear that that wheazing windbag Jeanine Garafolo will be on it as well to compete with Michael Savage(as if!)!

"Maybe death will stop yer yammering"--Marge Simpson
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 05:06:04 PM »

Mario Cuomo former guv of NY (god, what a lousy 12 years that was) tried it and bombed horribly.

Can't stand Garafolo or Savage, but fortunately baseball season is starting up.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 06:04:31 PM »

They also have some former MST3K people working on it....

I don't think it will work...maybe if they got Howard Stern to do it...he's been attacking Bush like crazy.
Eirik
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 06:38:42 PM »

Talk radio - liberal or conservative - makes me envy people who live in countries that don't have First Ammendments.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 08:53:44 AM »

I agree with Eirik.  There are very few good talk radio shows anymore.  About the only good ones left are Cyber Line and Coast To Coast (Art Bell).

As for Jayson's original post; dude stay away from flame posts.  There was no point in posting this just to put down Al Fraken and Jeanine Garafolo.  I despise Sean Hannity and his minions, but do you see me making a thread about how stupid I believe he is?  Nope.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 11:08:15 AM »

jmc wrote:

>...maybe if they got Howard Stern to
> do it...he's been attacking Bush like crazy.

Um, would the point of a Liberal show on talk radio be to bash Bush and/or conservatives in general?  Seems to me that would be a waste of the medium.

The reason Conservative Talk Radio is so successful is that it is INFORMATION.  Facts, references from history, etc.  Some may THINK it is all rhetoric and liberal bashing (there may be some of that), but that is not why millions of highly educated professionals tune in each day (check the demographics of the people who listen to Talk, it ain't "Slackers" ... I was looking into advertising my business on a local talk station, so I researched who would be hearing my ads).

Why can the "Libs" not broadcast and discuss THEIR platform, ideas and values?  That would be informative and allow people to make INFORMED decisions about which platform they prefer; this would be honest.  Bashing the 'enemy' does nothing to tell others what you actually believe.

I'm not against a Liberal Talk Radio show.  If it is just bashing, it WILL fail.  People, in general, don't want to hear that (those that do will tire of it quickly, and you need NEW listeners to grow the market).  If it's honest information, I think it will fail then, too, since the people who listen to serious discussions on serious issues on the radio trend away from far leftist leanings (and Franken and Garofolo are not centrists at all).  If not, that's okay, too; honest information is always good.

Two of my favorite Talk hosts that you may or may not have heard of are Glenn Beck (Conservative) and Neal Boortz (Libertarian).  Boortz is probably the best thinking-on-his-feet debator I have ever heard in my life.  If you call his show to disagree with him, you better have your ducks in a row or he'll wipe the floor with you.

Peace.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 12:12:11 PM »

When Clinton was in office, all you heard was Clinton bashing from the conservative talk radio shows.  I imagine most of the hosts are praying for a Kerry victory--eight years of Bush will probably force all but the most popular hosts out of a job.  You know all of these people thank God every night that Bill Clinton was elected President for two terms because without him most of them would have had to find some other line of work.
ulthar

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 01:44:49 PM »

jmc wrote:

> When Clinton was in office, all you heard was Clinton bashing
> from the conservative talk radio shows.  I imagine most of the
> hosts are praying for a Kerry victory--eight years of Bush will
> probably force all but the most popular hosts out of a job.
> You know all of these people thank God every night that Bill
> Clinton was elected President for two terms because without him
> most of them would have had to find some other line of work.

First of all, that is not true at all.  Do you LISTEN to ANY 'conservative' talk radio?  I highly doubt it, or you would not make that claim.  (For the record, I have been listening to talk radio for about 15 years, almost daily, a variety of shows).

Second, everyone said Rush would have nothing to talk about after Clinton left, and that he would wither away.  His program and popularity is growing.  Beck, Boortz, Savage, Hanity, etc, etc have ALL grown into MAJOR new markets almost exclusively SINCE Bush was elected.  Check your facts before you make such claims.

Third, if you listen to Rush, Boortz, Beck (to name a few), you'd know that they do a fair amount of Bush bashing themselves.  Bush has done a lot of things that have a lot of conservatives quite ticked off (some say these things may cost him re-election).   Talk Radio is NOT about 'toeing the party line.'  

The thing that is making 'conservative' talk radio popular is HONESTY.  People can call in to the shows, complain about this or that, or agree with this or that, but the conversation is HONEST.  It is not scripted, nor is it 'talking points' put out by the RNC or other such nonsense.  If those favoring liberal ideology follow a similar path in being honest in their presentation, they have a shot.  If it is scripted and made-up, it will die before it starts; we already have TV for fantasy, those listening to AM listen for more than that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
Jayson
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 02:02:10 PM »

Thank you ULTHAR. That was very consise and to the point. Well said. :)

jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 04:09:50 PM »

FWIW, I've listened since the early 90s, back when Limbaugh was the only real player in the game, the only one people had heard of nationally.  I stand by my statement that without Clinton to galvanize the Republicans few of these shows would be national if they'd come into existence at all.  Had Clinton lost in 1992 it's possible Limbaugh wouldn't have gotten to where he's at now.  And had Dole somehow won in 1996 I doubt anyone would have ever heard of Beck, Boortz, Laura Ingram, or Savage on a national level.
 And yes, I've heard every show mentioned, and yes, they do criticize Bush on occasion but that doesn't mean they're not going to support him in November...at least on the air.  An extended Republican administration in the White House is the worst thing that could happen to the conservative radio business.  I remember listening to Limbaugh back in 1991 and the guy had no direction at all without a significant Democrat to rail against.   However, it's really starting to look like they don't have much to worry about.  ;-)

And personally, I think a lot of these radio people are working the public much as pro wrestlers do, but if you wanna keep believing it go right ahead.      

As far as the original question I still don't think it will work because there are too many differences between the two groups.
ulthar

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2004, 04:43:25 PM »

jmc wrote:

> FWIW, I've listened since the early 90s, back when Limbaugh was
> the only real player in the game, the only one people had heard
> of nationally.

Fair enough.

> I stand by my statement that without Clinton to
> galvanize the Republicans few of these shows would be national
> if they'd come into existence at all.  Had Clinton lost in 1992
> it's possible Limbaugh wouldn't have gotten to where he's at
> now.

As I recall, Rush was already VERY popular on the national level in '92.  Wasn't his tv show going on about that time, too?  Actually, it was his tv show that lured me to his radio program.  I'd never heard of him until I saw him flipping channels one night (sometime around '90 if memory serves).

>  And had Dole somehow won in 1996 I doubt anyone would
> have ever heard of Beck, Boortz, Laura Ingram, or Savage on a
> national level.

I don't know...one of those unanswerables.  I think Boortz, for example, has enough to complain about the modern Conservatives that he probably would still be popular either way.  Beck's show is pure silliness much of the time, with the Conservative issue oriented stuff as 'backbone,' so I don't know about this one either.  I consider Savage more of a 'complainer,' so I don't listen to him often enough to really evaluate the strength of his show.  I know he is quite popular right now, but honestly I never heard of him until a few months ago.

>  And yes, I've heard every show mentioned, and yes, they do
> criticize Bush on occasion but that doesn't mean they're not
> going to support him in November...at least on the air.  An
> extended Republican administration in the White House is the
> worst thing that could happen to the conservative radio
> business.  I remember listening to Limbaugh back in 1991 and
> the guy had no direction at all without a significant Democrat
> to rail against.   However, it's really starting to look like
> they don't have much to worry about.  ;-)

Well, whatever he may have been in 1991, he is definitely a market leader now, and I don't think he 'needs' a Liberal/Democrat to rail against to succeed.  There is enough fodder in the news in general (Michael Jackson, Martha Stuart

SIDE NOTE: Stuart CONVICTED....YEAH!  Score one for THAT jury!

etc.).  I think Rush has gotten to the point that people care about his opinions no matter what he is talking about.  I have heard him spend most of a show giving relationship advice, for crying out loud, and people kept on calling.  Move over Dr. Laura!!

>
> And personally, I think a lot of these radio people are working
> the public much as pro wrestlers do, but if you wanna keep
> believing it go right ahead.

FWIW, I believe what I hear that (a) I can verify from other sources or (b) is consistent with direct observations I make.  Probably my FAVORITE Talk guy right now is Beck, partly because he does A LOT MORE than just talk about politics.  I really like his satire bits, and hey, the Rallies for America (not his idea, by the way) were really cool (something BOTH sides of the political spectrum could support).

Sorry to go on and on about this, guys, but I got to admit.  I listen to FAR more radio than I watch tv these days (I find tv too mindless, but that's only part of it).  If the Liberals DO get their own show (they have shows, btw, they just are not very popular and certainly not national), or rather national network, it will be very interesting to see how it develops.  I don't think it will last; I just don't think people want to hear that message (negativity, doom and gloom, and constant bashing).  Only my opinion, so take with at least one grain of salt.

:)

--Real Genius
lester1/2jr
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2004, 07:12:58 PM »

I listen to Dennis prager and democracy now.  one convervitive, one liberal, both thought provoking.  Mostly I listen to NPR cuz there aren't any ads!!  The right wing guys are often annoying.  Alot of times there's not much to talk about, just not much news, so they act like some thing Jhn Kerry said in 1815 is f some unbeleivable importance.   The only one I really hate is Mancow.  He's like that kid in that tv movie "the wave" who finally fits in then is totally dejected when it ends.
Jayson
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2004, 07:18:33 PM »

As much as people hate Limbagh,Hannity,Savage, etc.. You have to admit that they are right most of the time.

Jim H
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2004, 07:35:40 PM »

"if it is just bashing, it WILL fail. "

Why is Mike Savage so popular then?  Well, ok, I've only listened to him like once.  But he's such an enourmous ass that was enough.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2004, 08:03:29 PM »

Well, let's put it a different way...without Clinton or some other strong Democrat running in 1992, I don't think the talk radio explosion would have happened.  And I really think if Bush [the first] had been re-elected Rush might not be hosting a show today.    Rush was big all throughout 1992, but that was because he had Clinton.

I believe the Limbaugh TV show started in 1992.  Limbaugh's radio show began in 1988.  I tend to agree with the other hosts that he is a little behind the times now...he's become The Establishment.  But he made the business what it is today.      

We had two news talk stations in the city where I lived before moving here, and the way they behaved toward each other made it obvious that a lot of the people in the radio business don't really care about the ideals they claim to advocate.

The main reason I think it will fail is just that talk radio is just not a medium that is usually popular with liberals, for various reasons.  Unless it's similar to NPR I think it will fail in most markets.  If it's just a liberal imitation of the conservative programs I think most people will tune out, or at least most liberals will.  Liberals can be as close-minded as anyone as far as their news sources, but I think they tend to at least pretend to search out information for themselves [even if it's from the same sources that are biased toward their worldview.]  They don't seem to respond to the same things that the conservatives do as far as media goes.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT-Liberal talk radio? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.