Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:17:11 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Okay, Convince Me...Starship Troopers « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Okay, Convince Me...Starship Troopers  (Read 5168 times)
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2004, 06:15:25 PM »

Yep.
NO POWER ARMOR! I have an issue of Dark Horses "Starship Troppers" comic, and they did a kick ass power suit, so its just the inability of the producers/writers to come up with one. I realy think so.
Klendathu? Nuke it! You only use infantry when you have to preserve a resource, and it did not look like an un-expendable planet...and if it was, they should have said so.
Hey, even Tanks and IFVs are available for this thing. Tanker bugs Vs. Tanks, okey? They modified Ruger Mini-14 rifles for the troopers small arms....what, an M-113 is too big a task?
Sheesh....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
JohnL

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2004, 03:41:17 AM »

>NO POWER ARMOR! I have an issue of Dark Horses "Starship Troppers"
>comic, and they did a kick ass power suit, so its just the inability of the
>producers/writers to come up with one.

According to what I read, they considered it too expensive to do the power armor unless they used CGI, and then it would have been CGI soldiers fighting CGI bugs.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2004, 04:07:54 AM »

Dude...go and rent it!

I saw it in the theater and loved it!
I have since seen it many times on VHS and DVD and trust me guy...it's good.

The propaganda reels are hilarious.

The only thing I didn't like was the boy/girl crap between the main characters and Denise Richards DOES NOT STOP smiling throughout the entire film except in the end when a warrior bug puts its leg through her shoulder.  OUCH!

It's one of those films where you must SERIOUSLY suspend disbelief and have fun with it...which I did.

As for the facist part of it...who cares!  
Many of you constantly compare it to the book but how many Hollywood films are exactly like the book?
Almost none are.

I like this film.

Go rent it!

Post Edited (03-13-04 17:42)
KungfuStu
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2004, 08:48:37 PM »

Starship Troopers is defenitely one of the better sci-fi films of recent years.  The effects are amazing, and despite some wooden acting, it's an exciting roller coaster of a movie.  Michael Ironside's in it - what more does a film need ?

Rent it and enjoy.
Dirtcreature
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2004, 08:16:29 AM »

If you're one of these weirdos who analyses a film frame by frame, looks for the wires, picks out flaws in plot, etc, and demands that each film you watch give you a philosophical awakening...don't bother and go buy a copy of 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance' by Robert M. Pirsig.

If, however, you watch films to be entertained, watch Starship Troopers! I saw it twice at the cinema and own it on video.

As for nuking it...well, i'm glad it was Paul Verhoven making it, because nuking Klendathu would make for a very short, pointless film!

And the reason the don't use tanks is simple. they are called the Mobile Infantry, implying that although they are on foot, they can go places inaccessable by land vehicles.

"If the book's better, why are you in a cinema and not in a library?"
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2004, 11:55:23 AM »

I loved it.  The first half is like Beverly Hills 90210 - then they take the cute kids and toss them into a bloodbath of a war.  Great fun!

FearlessFreep
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2004, 09:01:01 PM »

As for nuking it...well, i'm glad it was Paul Verhoven making it, because nuking Klendathu would make for a very short, pointless film!

And the reason the don't use tanks is simple. they are called the Mobile Infantry, implying that although they are on foot, they can go places inaccessable by land vehicles.

Obviously you never read the book and how it *really* describes a possible sci-fi mobile infantry in action

Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Eirik
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2004, 07:18:14 AM »

"And the reason the don't use tanks is simple. they are called the Mobile Infantry, implying that although they are on foot, they can go places inaccessable by land vehicles."

Ah, like all those flat, desert planets with no vegetation and long-range lines of sight?  Yes, I can see how a tank would pretty useless in a place like that.  Much better to drop hundreds of soldiers haphazard across the battlefield where crossfires alone would ensure 80% casualties.
Dirtcreature
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2004, 01:10:40 PM »

Nope, not read the book, yet. But one of the ones I plan to read soon. In the middle of reading El Sid by David Dalton and Teach Yourself HTML And XHTML In 24 Hours, so I'm a bit busy reading-at the moment! :o)

"Ah, like all those flat, desert planets with no vegetation and long-range lines of sight? Yes, I can see how a tank would pretty useless in a place like that. Much better to drop hundreds of soldiers haphazard across the battlefield where crossfires alone would ensure 80% casualties."

Lon-range lines of sight? I could've sworn one scene was set in a tight valley, and another scene was set in a narrow set of underground tunnels.

But if you think tanks would be good to use in those places, fair enough....personally, I think it would've been bloody daft to go into a tunnel only ten feet wide with a tank. much better with foot troopers...
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Okay, Convince Me...Starship Troopers « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.