Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:31:04 AM
714234 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  whats the best war film ever? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: whats the best war film ever?  (Read 13123 times)
gammaray117
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2004, 10:21:35 PM »

Among my personal favorites:

GUNS OF NAVARONE
THE GREAT ESCAPE
BRIDGE TOO FAR
BATTLE OF BRITAIN
VON RYAN'S EXPRESS
SERGEANT YORK

There you have it.

"BATEMAN!!!!!"
sixx
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2004, 02:24:41 PM »

Apocalypse now....hands down.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2004, 02:37:21 PM »

If one wants to see war from the other perspective, then I recommend . . . Now this is a film that I have not seen, but, I have always wanted to see, if only because it is so praised by those who have seen it. It is the 1959 German film "Der Brucke," or "The Bridge." In which seven German teenagers defend an useless bridge from advancing American forces in World War II. What makes this film even more interesting, is that while in most films about World War II, one has American tanks portraying German tanks, here you have German tanks portraying American tanks.

BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2004, 02:50:52 PM »

While I have not read the book nor seen the movie, and with all due respect to Ulthar, "Master and Commander" is not about the War of 1812, which was a war between the Americans and the British. It is about the Napoleonic Wars, as the book involves a fight between a Britsh and Spanish warship, and the film involves a fight between a British and a French warship.

Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2004, 09:29:41 PM »

BoyScoutKevin, I saw THE BRIDGE (1959) at a political film festival about 5 years ago. Very low budget, but very good film about 3 hitler youth (teenagers) who want to see action and are sent by some experienced soldiers to defend a bridge and to keep them out of harms way, but the war comes to them and they take a stand against some approaching armor. I enjoyed it as I was able to see it one the big screen.

joe
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2004, 10:13:50 PM »

I ahve to agree that "Apocalypes Now" is the greattest war film ever because it delt with issues that were only discussed behind closed doors.
Cricket21a
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2004, 01:55:34 AM »

"Patton" with George C. Scott has to be one of the best war movies I remember seeing and to be honest they just aren't something that normally interest me.

I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
Stephen Hawking
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2004, 12:53:14 PM »

I think Eirik has it correct. There have been so many war films made, one pretty much has to divide them by the war which they were about. So, here are my choices. They may  not be the greatest or the most realistic, but, for my money, they have the best action sequences I have ever seen.

Ancient:"Fall of the Roman Empire" and/or "Intolerance" for its siege of Babylon

Medieval: "The War Lord"

Napoleonic:  "Damn the Defiant" and/or "Waterloo"

Colonial: "Young Winston" and/or "Zulu Dawn"

I do agree with Eirik about his choices for World War I ("All Quiet on the Western Front") and the Civil War ("Glory.")

And here are my choices for wars not mentioned.

Crusades: "Lionheart"

100 Years War: "The Messenger"

Boxer Rebellion: "55 Days at Peiking"

Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2004, 09:13:49 PM »

If anyone is on the board tonight AMC is playing THE LONGEST DAY which is about D-day just like in SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

Eirik
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2004, 02:36:56 AM »

Interestingly, both movies show the same basic engineering feat at Omaha beach - the use of bangalore torpedos to breach the defenses.  Of course in the older movie, Robert Mitchum just sort of swaggers through the breach and hops in his jeep while Tom Hanks has some fighting to do afterwards.  

Still, Longest Day is a great movie with a broad scope.  I heard somewhere that a lot of the Rangers who really attacked Pont du Hoc were miffed about the Longest Day.  The movie shows them get to the guns on top of the cliff to find them missing and they say something like "all that for nuthin'".  In real life, the guns were missing (replaced by phone poles to fool aerial scouts), but the Rangers figured out they were close by, found them, and destroyed them.
NC
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2004, 07:23:56 PM »

Another WW2-Foreign that's really good is 'My Name is Ivan', Tarkovsky's film from 1962. I don't know how accurate it is, but it's an interesting story about this young kid around 11-12 years old that's an unofficial scout in the Soviet Army and all of the crazy things he has to do.
jmdenn3000
New Visitor

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2004, 11:05:12 PM »

paths of glory
man, killa, man

And today the president closed the nation's last remaining submarine base at Groton, Connecticut. When ask why he had made the startling decision the president responded, 'Those funny little black ships just keep sinking anyway'.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  whats the best war film ever? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.