Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:03:35 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best Commentarys « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Best Commentarys  (Read 10301 times)
wickednick
Bad Movie Lover

« on: March 11, 2004, 10:42:37 AM »

One of the things I love about DVD's is that you can listen to the commentarys of directors, actors, producers ,etc.I love hearing about how the movies were made.
What commentarys have you thought the best.
For me its: anything with John Carpentar and Kurt Russle, the directors commentarys in Snatch, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Smells like popcorn and shame
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 11:15:03 AM »

I liked Conan the Barbarian's commentary. I remember the director often saying "Oh that's such a great (fill in here)" or "Wow, that's a beautiful shot". It got kind of funny after a while.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 11:44:27 AM »

By far the best commentary is good ole' Bruce on the Evil Dead DVD.

Hilarious and often insightful stuff.

Another great one is the commentary on the 'Bootleg' DVD of Army Of Darkness.  Sam and Bruce are hilarious.

And, how could you not love the fantastic Kevin Smith commentaries that he puts on all of his discs.  The clerks commentary is by far the best one.

Also, for something different, the commentary on the AMAZING Bowling For Columbine has the interns from the film talking about it.  Really gives some insight.  Did kinda miss Michael Moore being on the commentary though.  Oh well.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 12:32:57 PM »

I was just thinking of Carpenter and Russell. I just bought the DVD of Big Trouble in Little China, and they do seem to be having fun.

I don't watch enough movies with the commentary. With a rental, it's often hard enough to find the time to watch the movie, and then I'll probably check out the documentaries and deleted scenes before I'll watch the movie again with the commentary. I'll say one thing for DVDs - you do get a lot more. One DVD with lots of extras can fill a whole evening. A pity I don't have the movie time I used to.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 12:36:58 PM »

I like the George Romero commentaries, though he usually doesn't talk much about what's going on scene-by-scene.

I also like any of the Something Weird commentaries with David Friedman or Herschel Gordon Lewis.
Conrad
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2004, 12:38:37 PM »

Ha!  JC & KR's commentary on The Thing is a hoot - you can hear them lighting up cigars and pouring drinks whilst commenting.  And a commentary illuminates all sorts of things that the casual viewer never thinks about ...

Crouching Tiger - Hidden Police Speed Trap
Bernie
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 12:50:33 PM »

Dave Friedman's commentary on Marijuana: Weed with Roots in Hell is literally an oral history of the roadshow movie -- an experience that is now extinct -- a really entertaining and educational commentary.

One of the best is the "in character" commentary by Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer and Michael McKean on THIS IS SPINAL TAP.  Hilarious.

To get real mainstream for a minute, the writers' commentary on Pirates of the Caribbean is fantastic -- practically a seminar in Screenwriting 101.

Haven't heard any of the commentaries on Lord of the Rings yet -- the movies are so damn long as it is!  But some of the extras on the sets are amazing.

The commentaries on the Simpsons sets are VERY hit & miss but when they hit, they're great.

The commentary on THE CHEERLEADERS was a surprising lot of fun -- a combination of dish on the actresses and info on making a no-budget exploitation film in the 70s.

Geez, it's hard enough to find times to watch movies, let alone rewatch'em with commentaries....
raj

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 01:17:02 PM »

Ilsa, Harem Keeper of the Oil Sheiks has Dyanne Thorne doing a running commentary during the movie.  Neat way to view the film, but I haven't sat all the way through the commentary though.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 02:17:14 PM »

Forgot Chuck Phalanuik w/ Fight Club.

By far the best commentary I have ever heard.  Amazing stuff.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 02:44:34 PM »

My favorite would have to be Jeff Combs and Bruce Abbott doing Bride of Re-Animator.  It's like watching MST3K, because they're firing off jokes and one-liners as often as they're talking about the movie.  It's a blast listening to Jeff and Bruce make fun of Bruce's hair for 90 minutes.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
I luv dolma
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 03:32:41 PM »

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Jim Wynorski? His commentarys kickass. Especially for films like Raptor, Deathstalker 2, and Rangers.
raj

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 03:41:57 PM »

Hey, my Deathstalker 2 didn't come with commentaries!  Damn.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 05:29:58 PM »

There's a commentary track for Raptor!?  Or as I like to call it, Carnosaur's Greatest Hits Live on Ice!

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Blankman
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 05:31:26 PM »

Surprised no one mentioned Cannibal! the musical. Basically it's Trey Parker and Matt Stone getting drunk from beginning to end of the commentary. Good Stuff.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2004, 05:52:58 PM »

I second the mentions of Spinal Tap and any with Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell. John Waters does good ones, too.

By far, though, my favorite commentary of all time is the one on Blood Simple: the whole thing is an elaborate put-on, apparently scripted by the Coens themselves, with a mock film historian describing the supposed "lost scenes," which mainly center around the redneck private eye actually being the deposed prince of Czechoslovakia. The entire commentary is done with such a straight face that I can imagine someone actually falling for it, even as he talks about Dan Hedaya's character being written for Rosemary Clooney, or gets sidetracked talking about his personal feud with an executive at Merchant Ivory.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best Commentarys « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.