Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 05:35:52 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Regional hits? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Regional hits?  (Read 3561 times)
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« on: March 14, 2004, 02:36:36 AM »

I was just rewatching Boondock Saints, and I had a thought. I live in Massachusetts, so the movie's a pretty big deal up here; nearly everyone I know can quote it, and it's almost always on the "Top 20" DVD racks in all the record stores. But the more I think about it, it doesn't seem like a "big" movie-- It's even reviewed on The Unknown Movies! So my question is, Is Boondock Saints as much of a cult hit anywhere else, or is it strictly a regional thing, seeing as how it's one of the few major "Boston" movies I can think of? Anyone know of any other movies that are only big in certain places?

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 04:02:05 AM »

I live in Iowa and I have never heard of the Boondock Saints...

It must be a regional thing.
Evil Matt
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 05:27:12 AM »

It's a pretty big deal here in VA.  The first time I saw it, no one had even heard of it, but now it seems that EVERYONE I know has seen it.  Apparently they're making a sequel to it.  I don't know that that's such a good idea.

Everything's funnier with monkeys.
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2004, 04:00:05 PM »

I haven't seen Boondock Saints myself but I know lots of people who have. I don't think it's just a regional thing because even people around here have heard of it , so if this movie was really that rare you'd get nothing but blank stares around here when it's mentioned.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Bgrade
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 04:24:25 PM »

I live in wisconsin and I've never heard of it.

I guess the mid west is out of touch.

At least we'll be invaded by zombies in a week.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 12:43:34 PM »

I think I've heard of it, but don't know anything about it.   And I'm an Okie now living in California.  

Back home anytime they shot a movie in Tulsa or in the surrounding area it would be a regional hit, especially if the filmmakers were local.  I remember having to watch WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS over and over again as a kid.
Brock
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 01:04:21 PM »

I'm from WI and I know a lot of people who love it.

Also, "Donnie Darko" was inexplicably big at my high school last year.  Like, *huge*.
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 02:40:54 PM »

Whoa jmc, didn't know you were from Oklahoma. Geesh, learn something knew everyday. My Dad's from Tulsa(Helluva town if ya ask me).

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 03:28:48 PM »

Vermin Boy,

Boondock Saints isn't just a regional thing.  I own a copy of it and it's actually pretty big here.  Actually heard of it from some friends.  Bought it sight unseen.  One of my favorite movies.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 03:56:48 PM »

I miss Tulsa sometimes...definitely the best place to live in Oklahoma.  I'm not too crazy about the Bay Area so far, but that's mainly because I'm unemployed.
eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 04:36:00 PM »

.  .  .  .  They just aired it on USA at 11:00am.  Heard of it, but I live near the East Coast.
Brian Ringler
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 08:49:07 PM »

I live in south dakota, and i've heard of boondock saints but have not seen it yet, my friends keep telling me to but I never get around to it
Yaddo42
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 06:55:42 PM »

I heard of it mostly from the internet. It doesn't seem to have caught on where I live (North Alabama), Never could find it in any of the local video stores, finally bought a copy at Best Buy for $8.99. My local BB has around 50 copies on the shelves at any one time, between the ones in the main video section and all the copies they have stocked with the "last minute cheap videos" at the check out lanes. Not that my opinion of the film matters to the overall discussion - but now that I've seen "Boondock Saints", color me unimpressed. Although I was surprised to see it turn up on USA during the day, didn't watch it once I got over the surprise. Considering the language, they must have cut or altered most of the brothers' dumbass Mob underling sidekick's dialogue.

I guess regional hits still happen, but they were probably more common before "four waller" (open almost everywhere at once) releasing strategies became the norm and when the drive-ins still flourished. From what I've read the original "Walking Tall" was a huge regional hit in the South and in rural areas with drive-ins. Buford Pusser was a minor folk hero in parts of the South before the movies came out. Then again I live only a couple of hours drive from where the events that were the basis for the film took place.

While it was a big hit nationwide, I'd bet "Smokey and the Bandit" was a much bigger hit in the South as well.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2004, 07:03:04 PM »

Yaddo, I'm curious as to why you were unimpressed by Boondock Saints?

As for it being cut, yes it is actually heavily cut.  There is actually an uncut Japanese DVD floating around somewhere.  Hows that for regional?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Regional hits? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.