Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:41:01 PM
714369 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  star trek new voyages what a bomb and ripp off « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: star trek new voyages what a bomb and ripp off  (Read 7521 times)
Jack Marshall
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2004, 10:20:02 AM »

We have in fact had extensive discussions with Paramount legal.  They laid out certain guidelines that we have to follow, but as long as we do, we can produce as many shows as we can afford to do.
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2004, 04:33:20 PM »

Excellent.  Seems like some big media company is doing something right.
JohnL

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2004, 11:23:29 PM »

>We have in fact had extensive discussions with Paramount legal. They laid out
>certain guidelines that we have to follow, but as long as we do, we can produce
>as many shows as we can afford to do.

Sounds encouarging. Can you say what the guidelines are, or are they confidential? In any case, I'm glad to hear I was wrong.

I haven't watched your film yet (I'm on dialup and it will take quite a while to download), but I plan to. It looks interesting.
Jim H
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2004, 02:40:35 AM »

Can you give me a brief  description of how fair use works then?  Or a site?  I haven't seen any that explain it well.
JohnL

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2004, 03:44:43 PM »

>Can you give me a brief description of how fair use works then? Or a site? I
>haven't seen any that explain it well.

I'm no expert, but basically fair use depends on what you're using it for, how much of it you use, what type of work it is, and whether or not your use affects the value of it.

Basically something is fair use if you're not profitting directly by using their work, you only use a small percentage of the original, you don't somehow diminish the value of the original and you can reasonably claim that what you copied was necessary to illustrate your point and/or educate someone.

For example, if you're doing a review of a terminator model and you want to show people how accurate it is, it would probably be ok to show side by side pictures of the model and a couple similar shots from the movies. Or if you want to make a guide showing how to detail such a model to more accurately match the original in the movies, you might include some closeup shots of various parts. You can't however, just include a bunch of screen caps of the terminator because they're cool to look at.

You can also use some copyrighted work for the purposes of parodying the original. For example, you can dress people up as Kirk and Spock and make fun of Star Trek, however I doubt you could get away with re-dubbing episodes of Star Trek to make them more humorous and giving away copies of them.

Basically, it's all a judgement call. One important thing to consider is, do you think the person/company that owns the copyright would object to your using however much of their work you've copied? If the answer is yes and the company has deep pockets, then it really doesn't matter if you're covered by fair use or not because by the time you finish draining your savings account and taking out a third mortgage on your home to pay the lawyer fees, you won't have much interest left in arguing your point. Of course, even if you don't think they'd object to what you're doing, you're probably wrong. Look at all the Millenium and Buffy web sites that Fox shut down for posting a few screen caps and sound samples from various episodes.

Here are some web sites for you to check out;

U.S. Copyright Office - Fair Use

Stanford copyright information center
jay
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2004, 02:25:12 AM »

New voyages is only a for profit ripoff and needs to be shut down
Jack Marshall
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2004, 05:16:39 AM »

Well, cosidering we've not made a penny, I'd say you're wrong - and bitter as well - what a stupid thing to post when you don't know the facts.
Jack Marshall
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2004, 05:37:52 AM »

Let me follow up by saying that had we made a penny off this, Paramount would have found out when they reviewed our finacial records.  Had we made any money off of the show, they would have shut us down.  Since we are deep into episode 2 pre-production, I'd say we're okay with the one entity that matters, and that's Paramount.

Considering where this "Jay" person is living, I'm guessing it's the same person who is trying to sue us in an effort to get paid for the last show.  NO ONE got paid for the show, everyone agreed to do it for free and we have not nor will we ever make a dime off the show.

Shame on you for posting what you did.  Whether you're the person I think you are or not, you don't have a clue as to the sacrifices we made to make this episode.  You're a pathetic individual.  I just hope to god it's who I think it is because you just lost your case by exhibiting your instability.  If you're not the person in question, you're just plain crackers 'cause you don't know s**t.

Have a great day :)
Max K
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2004, 12:51:49 AM »

I think before anyone can post bad things about anything, they should first do a little research.  At least seem intelligent when you bash something, or maybe after you do the research you'll find that you were wrong all along.  
I strongly suggest that you look at what Ashthecat said before and after he saw the show before you judge.   (by the way, 'you' is plural to anyone who is reading this, not any one person in specific).  
All of us worked our asses off to get a great show out to the public, and obviously, when you face such a large audience (over 3.5 million and counting) some people will not find it their "cup of [earl grey] tea" and others will watch it 24/7.  
what i'm trying to say is (only speaking for myself now); i respect people's opinions about the show, but before you start "trash-talking" it, maybe you should see it first.  you may just like it!

-Max K.
Production Assistant on set
Star Trek: New Voyages

PS - Jack, is jay our nuclear wessel friend or someone else?
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2004, 03:52:12 AM »

Hey, I just have to know if you guys built those sets and props yourselves.

They're kickass!

In my opinion, the sets are THE BEST part of your production.
If the acting improved a bit it would be 10 times more engaging...not that it isn't already but I think you know what I mean.

Keep up the good work!

Max K
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2004, 10:52:16 AM »

Yes, in fact we did build the sets.  However, the bridge is a semi-circle (we didn't have room for the whole bridge - otherwise it would've been complete).  As Jack said, we are already well into pre-production of episode 2, which has been dubbed the second pilot.  Hopefully, the success of this episode will be double that of "Come What May" (the 1st episode).  
Also, a note to those downloading episode 1 - the 'teaser' is the segment before and including the title (space, the final frontier...) NOT the trailer/preview.  A few people i know got confused with that when they downloaded the episode, saying that the title sequence was missing and that they had no clue what was going on. lol

-Max K.
Production Assistant
Star Trek: New Voyages
Jack Marshall
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2004, 10:52:31 AM »

Yes, we built the sets ourselves - and I've asked that all the actors get coaches - so, that coupled with our impressive guest cast that we'll be announcing should ramp up our acting score pretty well :)
jay
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2004, 06:29:58 PM »

I don't know jack spinkter brain star trek wannabee  guy  and if some one is sueing you good for them i just down loaded your crap what a waste of time . it looked like men with lisps in space.
Jack Marshall
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2004, 10:32:49 AM »

Well you can't please them all.  Sorry you can't understand that we're just fans having a good time and that you can't appreciate all the time and effort that when into it's creation.  Have you done something along these lines?  I'd love to see it ;)

It's a shame there's so much bitterness in the world.  You're messages have been nothing short of an angry troll screaming in the woods.  I feel very sorry that you can't find more joy and happiness in life and have no concept of what IDIC is all about.  What we did, whether you approve of it or not, is create something that's been downloaded over 4 million times to great reviews and a whole slew of new offers pouring in.  We did this because we love Trek and want to see it continue.  I really find it hard to believe that there was nothing in the show that you couldn't appreciate.

Hope you get better and your life gets less miserable.
Max K.
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2004, 09:25:42 PM »

I think you should really readjust your attitude on the internet.  It may get you in trouble one day with people who aren't as accepting as we are.  
as Jack said, we can't please everyone, but instead of just saying that you didn't like it, you had to personally attack us.  I'm going to be more of a man than you are and just walk away and ignore you.  Come back when you can be civilized.  
I have nothing more to say.

-Max
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  star trek new voyages what a bomb and ripp off « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.