Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:43:11 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Strange, absurd and surrealistic movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Strange, absurd and surrealistic movies  (Read 8537 times)
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 01:20:34 AM »

How about The Forbidden Zone. Herve Villacheze(sp?) as the king of an alternate dimension. Cardboard sets (literally!), a topless princess, a frog-headed butler, a guy playing the pat of a teenage girl...
Tilebreaker
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2004, 01:38:42 AM »

Make sure you try his Tv series "Twin Peaks" you can find it collected.  Make sure it's not "Twin peaks- fire walk with me" which was a movie based on the series.
Derf
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2004, 11:40:50 AM »

You might also try Dr. Seuss's only live action film, "The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T." I truly enjoyed most of the movies that have been listed so far (anything from Terry Gilliam is bound to have some interesting imagery, though "Fisher King" was a bit disappointing to me), and I think any movie with Dr. Seuss-like sets in live action would fit what you're looking for.
Bernie
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2004, 12:55:15 PM »

I can second these choices:  Greasers Palace, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas

Also, if you can find it, also by Robert Downey (Sr. not Jr.) -- Pound (a film he made between Putney Swope and Greaser's Palace, the whole thing takes place in a dog pound, all the dogs being played by members of his repetory company)

The 1930s exploitation classic, Maniac -- totally bizarre.

The Ruling Class with Peter O'Toole -- the first half is hysterically funny, the second half -- well you have to see it....

Performance
nobody
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2004, 04:10:39 PM »

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" was a great movie. I saw it twice this weekend, which is a really unheard of move for me. Go see it, if you can find a theater that's playing it. It's great.
Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2004, 04:59:42 PM »

Harold and Maude..hilarious. Although I had a hard time believing the age difference between them.
Bernie
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2004, 05:51:02 PM »

Oh, no, you can believe it - it was a real age difference!
Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2004, 06:03:14 PM »

Actually what I meant was...Wow what an age difference!
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2004, 06:08:21 PM »

Speaking of David Lynch...."The Lost Highway" is one freakin' bizarre movie!

I had to watch it twice in a row to figure it out.
Leah
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2004, 06:46:47 PM »

a clockwork orange... definitly a good movie
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2004, 07:44:51 PM »

Don't forget Mulholland Drive. I watched it with a friend, and after it ended, we literally spent about half an hour in silence, each trying to piece together what we saw.

Then, of course, Eraserhead is in a class of its own... No way around it: David Lynch rocks.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
raj

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2004, 07:47:06 PM »

*Spoiler* (I guess)

Even though she was covered up, the scene of them in bed made me sick.  Ugh.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2004, 11:18:43 PM »

Incubus - 1966  Starring William Shatner. For some reason they thought  it would be neat to have all the dialogue in Esperanto.  No s**t!  They showed it on SciFi last year, they spent some money remastering it . It hadn't been seen in  almost 40 years.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
peter johnson
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2004, 12:25:54 AM »

Cripes, fellows, I mean nobody has mentioned the REAL CLASSICS here.
Given the category, how can you leave out Bunuel's & Salvador Dali's collaboration(s) "Un Chien Andalou(The Andalusian Dog)"?  Or Jean Cocteau's "Le Sangre de Poete(Blood of a Poet)?
Blood of a Poet(1934/French):  A boy is rescued from a potentially fatal snowball fight by an insect-winged Negro giant with bug-eyes who appears in the middle of a snowstorm.  A hand grows a mouth and speaks.  A man falls through a mirror that becomes liquid.  This is the easy stuff . . .
Andalusian Dog(1929/Spanish):  A man slits open the eyeball of a woman as a razor-like cloud crosses a full moon in the sky.  Ants pour from a severed hand.  A man appears pulling a grand piano and the rotting corpses of donkeys.  A bare breast morphs into a sea urchin(And do remember, this is 1929).  Again, the easy stuff . . .
Cocteau's "Orpheus" is good too (1952 or so).  Beatniks ride their scooters through another liquid mirror into -- well, who knows where?
I dig the guy who mentioned "The Forbidden Zone" -- I agree.
Vermin can do better than Mulholland Drive, I know!!
Other old movies that fit here:
Anything by Carl Dreyer:  Vampyr, The Passion of Joan of Arc, etc.
Anything by Fritz Lang:  Metropolis, Seigfried, M, etc. etc.
Man, I'm rediscovering silent pictures and '30's pictures in a big way.  You can't beat some of this bizarre surreal absurd imagery!!
peter johnson
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2004, 08:46:31 PM »

Well if it's strange you are looking for, "The Pale Sky" is pretty odd. A man wakes up from a coma to find out that his penis has been donated to another patient. He goes looking for him.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Strange, absurd and surrealistic movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.