Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:07:33 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Strange, absurd and surrealistic movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Strange, absurd and surrealistic movies  (Read 8538 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2004, 10:00:56 AM »

Can't think of much that hasn't already been mentioned.

I suppose there are a few fantasy kids' movies that are pretty surreal. The Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka, Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang. All are based on literature, so the filmmakers can't really get all the credit for making them weird. One I rented recently was George Pal's 7 Faces of Dr. Lao, which appeared to be a showcase for the talents of Tony Randall. Weird movie, but cute.

Post Edited (03-24-04 09:01)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Bernie
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2004, 11:52:04 AM »

For 30s absurdity, try "Million Dollar Legs" with Jack Oakie and W.C. Fields -- a surrealist hoot from start to finish -- Fields is the President of a country where all the men are named George and all the women are named Angela; the country's official love song is called "Woof Bloogle Jig" -- and everyone, including Fields, is an Olympics-class athlete!

Wheeler & Woolsey also did a couple of early-30s films that were very surreal - can't think of titles right now.

And of course, surreal and absurdist elements weave their ways in and out of the Marx Brothers' early-30s Paramount films (a strand discarded when they went to MGM).
eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2004, 11:18:10 PM »

.  .  .  .  Darren Aronofsky films are a bit odd.
dean
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2004, 07:03:50 AM »

Bloody Mullholland Drive!  Half of the cinema studies people in my Uni course do nothing but b***h about that damn movie over and over again!

Waking Life, Fear and loathing in Las Vegas are two surreal favourites.

But when it comes to truly sick, wacky movies you need two words, five syllables:
Day-vid-Crone-En-Berg

Nuts in every sense of the word!
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2004, 01:04:08 PM »

Cronenberg, for sure.

Atom Egoyan would be another director I'd recommend. Check out The Adjuster for a movie that mixes the ordinary with the bizarre. A bit arty, but entertaining and funny, with a disturbing edge.

To other surreal films that came to mind: Cube is highly entertaining and very weird, and no list of the weird and surreal would be complete without the Japanese masterpiece, Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
raj
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2004, 01:37:37 PM »

That sounds like a nightmare.
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2004, 04:08:49 PM »

Not quite in the same league, but I liked a movie called Paper House. A sick girl draws a picture of a house and when she sleeps/passes out, she dreams of the house. She ends up becoming obsessed with the house and with the boy she meets there.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Strange, absurd and surrealistic movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.