Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:34:06 AM
713349 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  TV shows that didn't get their chance « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: TV shows that didn't get their chance  (Read 11865 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: March 21, 2004, 11:56:13 PM »

Some pretty good shows have fell by the wayside because they were a bit quirky  or too intelligent for the masses, while some real crap stays on the air for years. Here are a  couple or so that I really liked but they didn't get their chance.

The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne  - What if all that stuff he wrote about really happened? A really cool show  especially if you like steam punk technology.  The crew from  Around the World  in 80 Days (Phileas Fogg and Passepartout) Phileas' cousin Rebecca (a British secret agent with some pretty dangerous under wear)  and of course Jules Verne  battle  the League of  Darkness which is headed by Count  Gregory  (a 400 year old disembodied head  with a steam powered robotic body).  

This was the first series to be shot using digital HDTV cameras.  They rented a train engine repair shed in Montreal and built all their sets including a street in Paris.  SciFi in their infinite wisdom starting moving  it around away from it's original time slot and then cancelled it.

Briscoe County Jr.  - What can you say about anything starring  "The Bruce" Campbell.  A science fiction western was too much for  some folks I guess.

The Chronicle - Another series killed by SciFi.  What if everything  in the tabloids was true?  According to the  mysterious editor  of the  Chronicle they are, they just have to  hoked up so  the public won't believe it , because we're not ready for the truth.   Any show that once featured an STA (Sexually Transmitted Alien) that runs amuck at a swingers convention has greatness written all over it.

Firefly  - Fox television , what else  do I have to say ?  It is being resurrected as a movie.

Harsh Realm -  See Firefly.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Bgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 12:01:14 AM »

I strongly agree with firefly and Brisco County.

The show I wish was still being made even if it was just to be released on DVD is The Tick
Tilebreaker
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 01:47:09 AM »

Millenium was a TV show i wished I had seen more of.  I caught a few of the repeats on The FX network. It was pretty good. The downside was that FX aired it at 2am or something insane like that. I taped a few here and there, but don't have a complete season.

And then there's The Lone Gunmen which when it came on in it's original Fox friday night lineup I knew it wasn't going to last. So I taped about half of them.  I hope they put out a Box Set of that, but I doubt it since the pilot episode plot centered around an airplane flying in the world trade center.
eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 02:17:56 AM »

.  .  .  .  Does "Fast Food Films" count?  I'll get punched for it but "Homeboys from Outer Space" was really good.  "Get a Life" was great (ever eat E.T.?).  Speaking of "don't call me Ash," what about "Jack of All Trades," comedy of American in Britain during the Revolutionary war (If I remember correctly).  "Cosmic Slop," any show that opens with George Clinton's head surrounded by tye dye (I think?) has potential, and it did.  Didn't Fox also have "Brimstone," always thought it might be cool, but too late to catch any of the eps.
.  .  .  .  Seeing as how "Family Guy" is revived only because of DVD sales, maybe the cultishness (-amahoositabob) may help shows that are cancelled, if they get DVD releases early on after cancellation?
JohnL

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 02:21:20 AM »

>The Secret Adventures of Jules Verne

I could never get into that one. The first episode I watched started out with them on some mission, but then they go back in time and get involved in something else, then come back to the future and move onto something else.

>Briscoe County Jr.

Liked this one.

>The Chronicle

I liked this one too, even though I didn't think it was that great.

>Firefly

I could tell Firefly wasn't going to last from the minute I read the first description of it. Even though I liked the show a lot, I can't believe that someone at Fox thought this show would get better ratings than Dark Angel.

>Harsh Realm

I only saw a couple episodes of this. It was hard for me to care about what was going on considering it was all VR. And how bright were the guys who designed the VR system if you can't even bring people out of it? Not to mention that because of the format of the show, you know they can never win, or the show will be over.

>Millenium was a TV show i wished I had seen more of.

It started out ok, but by the end it was as full of conspiracy theories as the X-Files. In fact, the X-Files had a crossover episode with Lance tying up the loose ends from the end of Millenium.

>And then there's The Lone Gunmen which when it came on in it's original Fox
>friday night lineup I knew it wasn't going to last. So I taped about half of them.

I taped them all. I'm sure the WTC pilot episode is the reason that not even SciFi has played the repeats.

Here are my picks for shows I would have liked to see continue;

Dead Last - A rock group (2 guys and a girl) find a medallion that lets them see and hear the dead. This doesn't make them happy since the dead always have some unfinished business they want the group to help them with and won't leave them alone until they do. WB only played like 7 of the 13 episodes and then 9/11 killed any chance of them playing the rest.

The Others - A group of friends with various psychic powers help people. 13 episodes, ending in a cliffhanger that looks like they killed off the entire cast.

All Souls - Supernatural happenings in a haunted hospital. Only 6 episodes were made/aired. Sort of like that Stephen King mini-series, only more serious.

Special Unit 2 - Wanted to be like Buffy and even took a stab at that show when the head of the agency said there was no such thing as vampires. Goofy, but fun.

Freakylinks - A group of people who run a web site devoted to the supernatural investigate reports of strange happenings. Also had an ongoing story arc about what happened to the star's brother.

Sleepwalkers - A group goes into people's dreams to help them, sort of like the movie Dreamscape. I think they only made 6 episode and NBC bounced it around the schedule so much that I only saw one episode. Anyone have this on tape?

Space Above and Beyond - Earth at war with an alien race. One season ending ina cliffhanger just as the show was getting really interesting.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 02:41:29 AM »

Briscoe County rocked.  Me, I want to see a DVD of God, the Devil, and Bob.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 03:36:06 AM »

I liked American Gothic.
TheFeen
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 08:43:32 AM »

Ultraviolet was a really cool show, like a detective series with vampires as the criminals. Channel 4 only produced six episodes and it was only shown on the sci-fi channel. Got cancelled after the cliffhanger ending.

'Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?'
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 10:15:50 AM »

I see a lot of folks have the same tastes here. I too liked Brimstone and Millenium.  Brimstone was a cool concept and John Glover was a perfect choice for the Devil. I was p**sed because they cancelled it with a cliff hanger. I liked the way this show was shot with the stark color.

Millenium  suffered from erratic production.  The first year Chris Carter ran it himself, the second year he gave it to Morgan and Wong (the guys who did Space, Above and Beyond), then Carter didn't like all the religious stuff they brought into play so he completely reworked it in the third season. At least they tried to bring it to an end with the X-Files episode.  This series did spawn the copy cat series the profiler.

Space Above and Beyond also got the shaft by stopping  with a humongous cliff hanger.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
J perk
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 12:28:35 PM »

Brimstone and GvsE (Good vs Evil on USA) were both excellent shows that I loved watching until they were cancelled.
They had similar premises but were so different and entertaining.
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 01:25:12 PM »

Briscoe County - I've been trying to remember the name of that for a while now.  I really enjoyed it.  They always showed it right after Cleopatra 2525 -  another one I liked that's now on Sci-Fi at 2:00 a.m. on Saturday or something.

Firefly was a neat show.  I watched it at first, then lost interest and started watching again when I heard it was about to be cancelled.  I'll have to pick up the DVD one of these days.  

Relic Hunter was another favorite.  Sort of the Tomb Raider for TV type thing, except with likable characters.  A nice hour of pretty girls, mindless adventure, and exotic locations.

Going back a ways, it would have been nice if Battlestar Galactica had gotten a second season, instead of that putrid "Galactica 1980".
Flangepart

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 07:47:26 PM »

SPACE ABOVE AND BEYOND.
TREMORS THE SERIES!
Nuff said....kinda....
Tremors! Ya had to do it, huh Sci-Fi! Ya rat bast....Argggg! Ah, screw it....they never listen...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
raj

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 07:49:38 PM »

Flangepart wrote:

> SPACE ABOVE AND BEYOND.
> TREMORS THE SERIES!
> Nuff said....kinda....
> Tremors! Ya had to do it, huh Sci-Fi! Ya rat bast....Argggg!
> Ah, screw it....they never listen...

What?  Don't tell me they cancelled Tremors?  I actually kinda liked it.
frannie
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 08:49:44 PM »

Undeclared and Andy Richter Controls the Universe were two good sitcoms (i swear that's an oxymoron) that fox dropped after only about 1 season.
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2004, 08:54:10 PM »

I never saw that pilot for The Lone Gunmen, now I wish I had.....

I was probably one of 7 people who actually liked NOWHERE MAN.
This was the series where the photographer got a picture of 4 men being hanged in a military camp of some sort, then "They" erased his life and kept trying to get the negative of the picture.

True, it was an X-Files rip-off, but they had the potential to take it really far. The last episode was a royal cop-out.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  TV shows that didn't get their chance « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.