Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:05:15 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  TV shows that didn't get their chance « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: TV shows that didn't get their chance  (Read 11864 times)
eeeee5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2004, 02:34:59 AM »

.  .  .  .  Along the lines of everyone's scifi tastes there was "Now and Again," wanted to see it but it was cancelled early on.  I liked "The Burning Zone", but it ran for three seasons (and cast changes) so it may not qualify, much better than "The X-Files," in it's first season.
.  .  .  .  Guess I'm a sitcom person, so I'll second Andy Richter, and New Line's choice of lead in FvJ.  Both good shows.

from Cabin Boy Andy Richter as Kenny (from memory, so maybe innacurate):
"This is how a harem girl dances."
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2004, 09:32:19 AM »

I really have to agree with Brisco County Jr.  Fantastic TV show!  Who here will ever forget "The Orb"?

It seems that a lot of good cartoons are cancelled way before their time.  Family Guy was a fantastic - hilarious show that shouldn't have been treated the way it was by Fox.  It was their "time filler" for about a year before dropping it.

Undergrads was another great cartoon that was killed too early.  MTV treated it like a bastard as well and finally Comedy Central brought it back for a life at late night.  Now it is completely dead, but there might be a DVD floating around.

Another one that I remember liking quite a bit was Family Dog.  It used to come on CBS and I believe was actually part of Amazing Stories before getting it's own show.  Dunno if anyone remembers that other than myself, but it was seriously funny stuff.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2004, 10:23:16 AM »

Oh, wow-- Forgot about Family Dog!

I would've liked to see more of On the Air, David Lynch's sitcom which only lasted 6 episodes. The first episode is one of the funniest damn things I've ever seen.

Also, I can't believe no one's mentioned two of the most legendary short-lived series: Police Squad and Clerks: The Animated Series!

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Tilebreaker
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2004, 10:55:38 AM »

You might be able to find a copy of On The Air at the video store.  When I rented mine, there was a film of dust on the cover.  The first episode is really funny, where they try to get the dog to eat, very hilarious.  The ones after that fell flat.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2004, 03:24:22 PM »

The sad thing, for me, is that a lot of these shows weren't even on long enough for me to get around to taking a look at them. Of those I've seen, I didn't see enough episodes of Briscoe County to really form an opinion. Liked what I saw though. Makes you wonder how a network can decide to cancel something, when you haven't even seen enough to make up your own mind.

I did see every episode of the Lone Gunmen though. It was a great show - lots of fun, with characters I liked and could root for. It revujenated the tired conspiracy theory schtick (which had been done to death) with humour and style. I'm still baffled by its cancellation.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Lee
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2004, 06:10:39 PM »

Black Sash-Students at a martial arts school try to cope with the real world. Great show on WB that got hardly any advertising and was on at the same time as Alias. Canned at six episodes.

Briscoe County, JR. and Jack Of All Trades-Two great shows staring the man himself. To bad neither made it to season two.

The Brotherhood Of Poland, New Hampsher-Kick ass show! Very quirky. It was dramatic and knock-you-down hilaroius. Disapeared from the line up in less than two months.

This is the Hell that's my life.-Howard Stern: Private Parts
Perk
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2004, 06:53:58 PM »

Some I forgot about are:

John Doe. :  Just started to get into it when it was gone.

The rerun Show:  Yes it was stupid but it had some funny jokes, especially the episodes about married with children and the facts of Life

Get Smart Again:  I liked it but then again I was probably a freshman or eigth grader when it came out.

Danger Thetre:  Lasted all of a summer.  I guess it was a filler show for Fox .  It had two shows in one.  A hawaii five o rip off starring Adam West which was okay and then they had The Searcher.  The Searcher was Diedrich Bader and he searched for things for people.  His theme was "SOmeone was in trouble so they called me, that's my job.  I help people . I'm  the Searcher."  It was great.

Action:  It just ended suddenly.  I thought he was supposed to be in heaven and try to talk his way out of deth but it never happened, at least not on Fox.

C 16: a show about the FBI.  It started off light but got a bit too dramatic.

Cupid:  Jeremy Piven as Cupid or a mental case.  Noone was sure.  It worked for a while but then disappeared.

Fantasy Island:  I loved it.  Malcolm McDowell was crepy in genereal and seemed to fit his Mr. Rourke perfectly.

Vengeance Unlimited:  The ultimate  vigilante show.  This had just came out when I had finally saw reservoir Dogs and so Michael Madsen was like an idol to me for a while.  It had great writing and acting and was just entertaining.

GUN:  it was slated as a limited run series but I liked it and would have liked to have seen more episodes of it.

Well that was fun...in a f****in' sick, terrible, not at all fun kinda way.
Bargle5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2004, 08:43:02 PM »

2 that ended on clffhangers, Earth 2 and VR5.

Frogs with their endless croaking, croaking, croaking in the night.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2004, 12:24:50 AM »

Yeah, I have a dub from a Japanese laserdisc. I agree that the later ones aren't as good, though the other one David Lynch wrote is amusingly weird, and the other one Mark Frost wrote has some good lines ("She's not an actress. She's a secretary waiting to happen!"). I stand by my statement, though, that the first one is one of the greatest bits of TV comedy of the past 10 years, and it's worth it just to see it.

"Blinky Watts is not blind. He suffers from Bozeman's Simplex. He actually sees 25.62 times as much as we do. If you were to see what Blinky is seeing right now, it would look something like THIS."

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2004, 11:56:24 AM »

Earth 2 was another one I liked.  Some great characters in that one.  You had the do-gooder characters like every flippin' sci-fi show, but then there were the more real, "human" characters that treated the do-gooders like "screw you, I'll do what I want".

Totally real.  I loved it.
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2004, 12:01:19 PM »

Oops, I guess it was Jack of All Trades that I was thinking of.  I don't think I ever saw Briscoe County.

Never mind.
D (the first one)
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2004, 12:39:14 PM »

This is an oldie, but how about "The Boys"? It was a fairly decent show about 2 sitcom writers. Never made it past the pilot, mainly becuase the network heads thought it was making fun of them.
Of course, there's always MST3K (10 seasons, but it could have easily gone on for another 10)
JohnL
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2004, 11:51:18 PM »

>Oops, I guess it was Jack of All Trades that I was thinking of. I don't think I ever
>saw Briscoe County.

Briscoe County was an hour-long western show, but with some SciFi elements thrown in, such as time travel etc. A little bit like the original Wild Wild West, but with more humor. Also, Kelly Rutherford in period costumes.

I also liked that show with the hi-tech computer squad investigating crimes. I forget the name.
Amanda
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2004, 02:22:21 AM »

You know what show I liked and of course, got cancelled?  Freaky Links.  Cheesy, yeah, but hey.  Miracles wasn't HORRIBLE either...
Mitch McAfee
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2004, 04:08:56 PM »

Heck I may have been young (I'm showing my age) when I last saw these... but I luved them while they lasted...

Automan

Mr Merlin

Wizards & Warriors
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  TV shows that didn't get their chance « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.