Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:57:19 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Zombies (Slow VS Fast) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Zombies (Slow VS Fast)  (Read 6746 times)
nobody
« on: March 22, 2004, 03:46:37 PM »

I've heard a LOT of people bashing the new "Dawn of the Dead" movie, above all other reasons, because the new zombies are faster than the older ones. Can someone please explain to me why slow zombies are supposably better than faster ones?
idono
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004, 04:41:57 PM »

their not, their just classic. now that 28DL is out, we shall never see the classic zombie.

oh well, fast zombies kick ass
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004, 05:06:27 PM »

I haven't seen the new Dawn of the Dead yet but I have seen the original and I remember thinking, "Gee it'd be much cooler if the zombies moved a little faster!"

And I enjoyed the fast zombies in 28 Days Later...they definitely kept me on the edge of my seat.

I guess it's just a matter of personal preference.
Bgrade
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 05:33:50 PM »

This post may come across as uppity so I appologize in advance.
Slow zombies are better because zombies are slow. That is the way it is and always has been. Zombies are dead.  Fast just ruins the atmosphere and makes them something else.  Like Ghouls (or diseased freaks).  That being said i did like the new Dawn of the Dead and 28DL was ok.  Speeding them up a little is fine (See Resisdent evil) but making them better than normal humans once dead seems wrong. If you have 40,000 of them you don't need to be fast.  Fast zombies change zombie movies from supense and horror to action.  Not that action is bad.  Bad can't you use vampires or werewolves or Russians instead. (yes i know the cold war is over. sorry just being funny. )

However, I will admit that in  todays modern world fast zombies are pretty much required due to the weapons availible.  Once people know what is going on slow zombies would be mopped up pretty easy.

However even in the new Dawn  with the gun shop, that owner could have killed at least 5,000 with no problem and they could have just walked away.  So it is up to the movie makers to figure out how to make slow zombies dangerous
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 05:36:39 PM »

For me, it's partly a question of what a zombie is. It's a reanimated dead body that is beginning to decay, and if anything, should be working less than optimally. It's scary and dangerous because of its grotesque appearancec, its sheer mindlessness and cannibalistic nature, and because it could be someone you know. The slowness, if used effectively, can add suspense.

That brings me to the next point - that today's horror movies are nothing but action movies with horror themes. I don't know if it's just that the audiences can't appreciate anything that doesn't move like lightning or blow up spectacularly, or that filmmakers don't give them enough credit, but there just aren't that many real horror films made these days. At least nothing scary or suspenseful.

I didn't really think of the infected in 28 Days Later as zombies. They were very much alive, and their disease could follow whatever rules the writer decided. However, when zombies are definitely presented as dead, I have a hard time accepting that they will be faster and stronger than they were when they were alive.

Not to say that there is anything wrong with the new Dawn of the Dead, other than Hollywood's need to fix what ain't broke. It looks interesting, and I want to see it.

On the other hand, why does anyone need fast zombies? You want something undead that is fast and smart, use a vampire. You want something that tears people apart with animal ferocity, use a werewolf. Use people who have been mutated by disease or chemicals or radiation into whatever you need.
Use an alien. Or make up something new.

There's no need to mess around with zombies.

Post Edited (03-22-04 20:15)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 07:03:52 PM »

Wow, this is the second time in recent memory that somebody has made a similar post while I was composing mine. Maybe this tinfoil helmet isn't blocking my thoughtwaves as well as I thought it would :)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 07:12:47 PM »

After seeing the remake I think that it's one of those things where you get a lot of quick results but trade it for long-term success.  This movie is scarier than the original because of the fast zombies, but it also makes it less likeable because the zombies are just so damned hard to deal with.  

SPOILER:

This movie was great but depressing.  With Romero you felt like the zombies could be dealt with if everyone kept it together and cooperated.  Here you feel like the situation is hopeless because nobody can kill them all and they don't tire and there are hundreds of them.  This film really bothered me and is still bothering me 2 days after seeing it...but I can't see a sequel doing as well unless they change the tone of the films.  And I don't think that would be good either.   I think with these films you also can't make a lot of the points Romero made about how people ruin their own chances for survival.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 07:33:22 PM »

Oh you know they'll remake Day of the Dead next and it'll be in the missle silo with super fast zombies.

it may be a few years before they do but you know it's gonna happen!
Flangepart

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 07:42:11 PM »

Not that big a Zombie fan, but i gotta agree with AndyC. His logic is impeccable.
Corse....this is B-movie land...and logic is concitered the "worthless brother in law who won't work, and drinks all your beer " of the family...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Bgrade
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 09:00:16 PM »

I was wondering why my fillings were tingling.
Bgrade
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004, 09:03:36 PM »

I was wondering why my fillings were tingling.
Hugomarink
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2004, 09:16:17 PM »

Bgrade and AndyC both nailed it. I agree with you both in preferring the traditional slow zombies to today's faster zombies for all the reasons you mention. Fast zombies are just a way for the filmmakers to bring something new to the table with zombie movies. While  I do consider 28 DAYS LATER to be a zombie film, I agree that, techically, it isn't. Those baddies aren't truly zombies, but the movie presents an apocalyptic/end-of-the-world scenario that is very much in the same mold as the classic Romero films, which is why I do consider it a worthy film in the genre. I haven't seen the remake of DOTD yet but I'm definitely looking forward to it, fast zombies or not. There's no doubt that fast zombies make things a whole lot more hectic but I think the traditional slow zombies are plenty damn scary and I doubt we've seen the last of them. A skilled filmmaker can make the slow guys plenty horrifying.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2004, 11:10:46 PM »

Zombies are  lumberers, believe me I know.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Flangepart

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2004, 11:24:58 AM »

(Singing)
"Oh...i'm a zombie lunderjack and i'm o-key. I eat live flesh, and i stalk all day."
( Corus) "He's a zombie lumberjack, and he's ECT"
"I eat your head,i eat your bum, i don't like corn or griiiits."
"I chomp upon your liv-er, and bite your naughy-biiiits."

Lets see the Pythons do this!...actualy, i bet they would....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2004, 12:26:14 PM »

DEAD ALIVE was basically a Monty Python sketch with zombies in it.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Zombies (Slow VS Fast) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.