Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:27:42 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  2nd Dawn viewing, miscellaneous movie musings « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2nd Dawn viewing, miscellaneous movie musings  (Read 1976 times)
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 25, 2004, 12:31:13 AM »

Upon second viewing of Dawn, here are a few more thoughts.
1.  I really dig the wide aerial shots of the devastation.
2.  In the baby stuff store where Luda is tied down, there are some various food items set aside on a shelf for them.  One of them says, in the same font as the Spam logo, Smeat.  A nod to our favorite meat byproduct?
3.  A two or three frame flash from the camcorder at the ending shows in that nifty night-vision feature newer cameras have, Nichole and Terry kissing, so presumably at least they escaped the island.
4.  As long as they were using found music in the soundtrack, there was one obvious place they could have stuck a great song:  when they drive the buses through the wall and into the zombie crowd.  I even though of the perfect ass-kicking "drivin' a big ol' truck around smashing zombies" song - "Demise of Sanity" by Black Label Society.
Miscellaneous stuff --
1.  Hellboy is still going to RULE.
2.  Just because you guys are the only people who would appreciate such a find, I picked up the Blood Island Vacation box set (Beast of Blood, Mad Doctor of Blood Island, Brain of Blood, and Brides of Blood) for $8 at a used DVD/CD store near the theater.
3.  When Dracula turns from human to monster in the Van Helsing trailer, his monster form looks a whole lot like Rawhead Rex.

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Amanda
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 02:26:33 AM »

I've still only seen this once so far, however, I really liked it.  I saw the Smeat thing and busted out laughing right there.  And yeah, the aerial shots were fantastic.  I didn't catch the night vision frame you were talking about!  I have to go see it again to catch that.  Thank you for pointing that out!
Ronin47
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 04:24:30 AM »

I also love the department store that is called "Gaylen Ross", haha - and that atonal MUSIC in the climactic "escape" action scenes, make it seem all kinds of disturbing.

"On no, goats!"   - The Amazing Race 3
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 12:32:58 PM »

I liked "Gaylen Ross" too.  I think that was my favorite little homage.  

I'm still going to be disappointed though if a sequel winds up showing that some of them got away.  Maybe they were just showing that to make it seem worse that those two were now zombie chow.    One of the things I liked the most about the remake was that its ending had the same nihilistic tone as the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and a lot of the Italian zombie flicks where they reach the place they're trying to get to only to find themselves surrounded.  

Another part I liked was when Ana's husband is chasing her then decides to go after a neighbor instead.  I laughed out loud at that part.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 10:57:00 PM »

Apparently Smeat is a bit like Tarantino's Red Apple cigarettes.  It appears in Waterworld and multiple other genre movies.  There is also a band called Smeat, and a site dedicated to making sausage origami among other things.  Whodathunkit?

Brother R

- Rob Zombie
    - Strapping Young Lad
Amanda
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2004, 01:15:15 AM »

The music, my god the music.  What about that nice piano bar version of the sickness?  *LOL*
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004, 03:58:32 AM »

We covered that in another thread, I think.  Richard Cheese and Lounge Against the Machine.  They do covers of popular rock songs and have several albums out.  They are decidedly unfunny, but in the context of the movie fit quite nicely.  I also am not a big fan of Disturbed or any of their nu metal ilk, but the lyrics for Down with the Sickness actually made sense "get up, get down with the sickness" in the movie's context.  They still probably could have found a better song, though.

Brother R

- Rob Zombie
    - Strapping Young Lad
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2004, 12:37:17 PM »

I didn't really like the found music except for the Johnny Cash song, but it's only at a few spots in the film...it's not like it permeates the entire movie--I think it's maybe 10 minutes of the running time, and most of that is the opening and closing credits.
It could have been much, much worse.
Ronin47
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004, 05:37:40 PM »

Did you guys notice the WGON traffic-copter?

"On no, goats!"   - The Amazing Race 3
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  2nd Dawn viewing, miscellaneous movie musings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.