Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:35:18 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Westerns « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Westerns  (Read 1820 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: March 30, 2004, 10:26:55 PM »

Well, it looks like I'm on a Western kick this week. Here are a few more for you:

TERROR IN A TEXAS TOWN (1958) - Different kind of duel in this one. Sterling Hayden plays a Swedish whaler going to Texas to be with his father only to find he was murdered for his land. Hayden finds out who did it and has a showdown against the hired gun only he's using a harpoon. Good film even for Non-Western fans. Strange mixture of harpoon whaler vs gunfighter.

CHUKA (1967) Western starring Rod Taylor as a wandering hired gun who gets caught up at a poorly manned fort and helps the troops in order to save a woman. Good Western with a neat brick fort and strange colorful lighting. Ernest Borgnine also has a major role and helps the film out greatly.

ULZANA'S RAID (1972) - Good Western starring Burt Lancaster helping the calvary find renegade Indian and his band of raiders. Shocking brutal and grusome murder and torture in this Western entry that is said to be a parallel to Vietnam war. Check this one out

COLORADO TERRITORY (1949) - This Western stars Joel McCrea and Virginia Mayo. Directed by Roaul Walsh who directed alot of good films and many silent films not to mention THE BIG TRAIL. The film plays alot like HIGH SIERRA except they use Mesa Verde for the final scene. A lot of good scenery from Colorado. Better than average for the year the film was made.

THE OUTRIDERS (1950) - Joel McCrea once again stars in this Western about a gold transport along the Santa Fe Trail. Four Confederates agree to help a branch of Quantrains Confederate outlaws get the gold by infultrating the wagon train. Very good Western in Technicolor. TCM show both McCrea films this afternoon.

Here are my next Westerns for rental that I haven't seen yet:

Dodge City
The Train Robbers
Breakheart Pass
Purgatory
Chato's Land
The Naked Spur
Mountain Men
Monte Walsh
Old Gringo
Hahlaluja Trail

Here are acouple that I saw when younger that I'd like to review again:

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Ft. Apache
Viva Zapata

Here are a couple that I would like to find for rental:

My Darling Clementine
Vera Cruz

Post Edited (03-30-04 21:29)

Post Edited (04-03-04 21:09)

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 09:16:20 AM »

Scott,  have you ever seen a western with Burt Lancaster made in the early seventies that I think was titled Lawman.  Cowpokes from some big ranch come to town shoot up the place  killing someone in the process and Burt's character hunts them down.  He  basically  reminded me of  Yul Brenner in  West World, a killing machine. I remember he was very emotionless.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 09:21:58 AM »

This also stars Lee J. Cobb, Robert Ryan, and  Robert Jordan. It  was directed by Michael Winner who did the first three Death Wish movies.  Burt Lancaster is basically the Terminator in this , unrelenting with no pity for anyone.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 06:39:14 PM »

A Western kick this last week!?

Dude, you've been on a Western kick for the last YEAR!

Hehe!
Scott

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 08:00:54 PM »

Good one Ash. I meant to say they I've seen even more than usual this week. : )
Anyway I'm running very low on potentially good Westerns or significant Westerns. I'm down to about 10 Westerns to rent. Then I'll have to move on to that elusive Coffin Joe, Blood Collection, Harry Novak, Jean Rollin, Old Serials, Hercules,  Prison, Cannibal, and a few Zombie films that I can only purchase to see and am trying to avoid costly purchases, and about 150 films from Sinister Video or Something Weird Video.

Dutchman
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 09:10:56 PM »

I'm new around here, but some of my favorite westerns are...

"The Hired Hand" (1971) Although I'm no big fan of "Easy Rider", Peter Fonda's directorial debut is one cool flick. Pretentious & artsy for sure, but Vilmos Zsigmond's beautiful photography, Bruce Langhorne's brilliant music & good old Warren Oates makes this one a keeper.

"The Fighting Fists Of Shanghai Joe"(1972) Spaghetti western kung fu spectacular with bloody & sometimes gruesome action, rousing score and cool characters.

"The Riders Of The Whistling Skull"(1937) Dusty old Three Mesquiteers oater, teaming them up with an archeological expedition in search of a lost city. Nice location filming, with supernatural overtones. Very enjoyable.

"Five Bloody Graves"(1970) From Al Adamson(so for aquired tastes only), narrated by Death tale of Yaqi Indian marauders against a great B-movie cast crossing the desert. I know its not technically a good movie, but I really like it for some reason.

"Grayeagle"(1978) Charles B. Pierce's version of "The Searchers", another one that most critics despise and I love. Great cast and excellent music by Jaime Mendoza-Nava.
Scott

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 10:04:25 PM »

Wow Dutchman. Welcome to the messageboard. I've only saw one of them THE HIRED HAND. It's definately a good one. Someone on this messageboard suggested it a few months ago and I found a copy. Very good Western.

The Kung Fu Spaghetti Western sounds like a winner. I'm a big fan of Spaghetti Westerns even if they are hard to find. I hear there were about 600 Italian Westerns made during the 60's and 70's. I've seen maybe 15-20 of them.

The Riders Of The Whistling Skull has been one I've been hoping comes on TV someday. Like on Encore Western Channel.

Five Bloody Graves and Greyeagle I'll have to keep my eye out for.

Welcome aboard  Dutchman these guys have some interesting films to talk about.

Post Edited (04-03-04 21:07)

Dutchman
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 11:08:32 PM »

Thanks for the welcome Scott.  It's nice to hear from another "Hired Hand" fan, it's truly a unique film. If you're interested in seeing "Riders Of The Whistling Skull", you can pick up a dvd for about $5 from Alpha at www.oldies.com. They've got a pretty good selection of budget dvd's, although the quality varies. I purchased another cult western from them recently, Arch Hall Jr.'s "Deadwood '76".
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 01:50:15 PM »

"Terror in a Texas Town" Heard of it. Never seen it.

"Chuka" Seen it. Don't remember much about it, but I seem to remember I didn't care much for it. I do believe it is the only western Sir John Mills made.

"Ulzana's Raid" A great white man vs. Native American western. Violent as heck, though.

"Colorado Territory." Never seen it, but it is a remake of "High Sierra," which I have seen. "High Sierra" was also remade with Jack Palance in the Humphrey Bogart role.

"The Outriders." Seen it. Liked it. Not as violent as "Ulzana's Raid," but plenty violent for its time.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Westerns « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.