Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:37:18 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Unfilmable" Books « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Unfilmable" Books  (Read 2821 times)
ElectroSunDog
Dedicated Viewer

« on: April 02, 2004, 10:00:56 AM »

These would be impossible, or at least really hard, to adapt to screen.

My picks:

Finnegan's Wake

The Mote In God's Eye

Through A Scanner Darkly

Gravity's Rainbow

Ulysses

Invisible Monsters

The Crying Of Lot 49
Brock
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2004, 11:32:01 AM »

Um, they're currently working on "Through a scanner darkly".  And I know the rights to "Invisible Monsters" have been optioned by some studio, but they're working on Palahniuk's "Choke" first.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2004, 11:44:34 AM »

GERALD'S GAME

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
dirtcreature
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2004, 03:52:53 PM »

The Mote in God's Eye would amke for an amazing film, but it's not a case of special effects, it's a case of finding a director and a movie company willing to pull out all the stops and be willing not to moan about budget cost...so in terms if decent companies willing do so, the "Moties" would be unfilmable.

Two sets of books that would be unfilmable would be The Chronicles of Thoams Covenant by Stephen Donaldson....and Necroscope by Brian Lumley.

Necroscope would be amazing, but no doubt if it were made into a film, it be changed so it would be set in America (like James Herberts' The Rats...and yes there are two versions of this film and both are appalling!) and too many compromises in plot due to the simple fact that many people "May not get it"
gammaray117
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2004, 04:41:46 PM »

Although RAINBOW SIX translates very well to film, it's too long to be made into a not-five-hour movie. Also, everything in it is important to the plot, so no removing incidents.

"BATEMAN!!!!!"
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2004, 10:04:39 PM »

Dune - It's been tried more than once, but  so much of the book is internalized to the characters it  nigh impossible to get  it right.

The ScFi mini-series was much closer than the David Lynch movie.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
JohnL

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 01:32:11 AM »

They Thirst by Robert McCammon. I believe it's set in Los Angeles, and by the end of the book, almost everyone has been turned into vampires, then the entire city is destroyed, leaving a giant crater. I suppose there's nothing in the book that isn't technically do-able, but I doubt that any movie could successfully capture the feeling of the entire city being full of vampires.
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 04:41:32 AM »

I second the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.  Revelstone under seige would be nothing but CGI, although I would be curious to see someone's concept of an ur-vile. Unfortunately I foresee some director lumping the whole saga into a two-to-three hour MTV blip and missing the whole point of Donaldson's tale.
I agree with JohnL that nothing is technically unfilmable--even War and Peace has been done to a technical tee (1973 BBC miniseries at 13 hours running time)--but what transcribes to the screen will always be vastly inferior to what the reader's mind can conjure.

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 03:35:24 PM »

"It" by Stephen King. The movie that came out was a total "bore".
dirtcreature
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 07:06:41 PM »

Gotta agree with you, Ellie. "It"...Tim Curry was great but the way the character came off, when it said the line about being the eater of children and how powerful it thought it was for doing so, you just with Bruce Campbell would turn up to shut it face!

The Stand...the ending in the televised version built up to the great fight between good and evil...building up, building up, BUILDING UP AND...scene changes from the good guys on their way to battle to Gary Sinese coming back aying that good won. What a jip!

Onionhead raised some of the points I didn't have time to mention. Another point would be the giants...CGI. ur-Viles and Waynhim...CGI. The Ravers...CGI. And you can guarantee Thomas Covenant will be played by some gimp. Shame about his age, as clint Eastwood would have been excellent as the grumpy anti-hero!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Unfilmable" Books « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.