Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:09:33 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Who will buy the upcoming STAR WARS DVD trilogy . . . and who will avoid it? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who will buy the upcoming STAR WARS DVD trilogy . . . and who will avoid it?  (Read 3453 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 05, 2004, 05:44:00 PM »

I have already pre-ordered it.  I'm not a huge STAR WARS fan, but it's something that should be in everyone's collection.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
raj

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 06:23:45 PM »

Oh, I'll probably get it, but I'm going to wait until it comes out.  Can't stand pre-ordering.
nobody
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 06:23:55 PM »

I'll avoid it. I grew up loving Star Wars. I must've seen each (original) movie a thousand times. The remastering really turned me off, however. And I won't be wasting my money to buy the hacked up classics.
...and, at this point, after the horrible prequels, I'd really have to be coaxed into buying the unaltered originals.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 09:28:11 PM »

I haven't decided yet. I actually didn't mind the special editions as much as a lot of people, but it still ticks me off that they're not releasing the originals.

What really gets me, though, is that they are releasing it in widescreen and standard versions. I mean, come ON! You're willing to make THAT concession, but you're not willing to give people the versions they grew up with?

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 10:10:23 PM »

Never fear.  They WILL release the originals . . . about a year after the special editions are released.  That way, they can make even MORE money off the suckers (possibly ME) who will buy both versions.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
E
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 12:49:03 AM »

I think you're right, Vermin Boy.

Lucas will most likely release the unaltered versions of Star Wars on DVD, but only after successfully convincing everyone that they'll never be released- essentially duping his hardcore fans into buying two copies of the trilogy.  

As much as Lucas says the altered versions are the "real" versions, and as much as he defends them in every way possible, the prospect of making (even more) money will eventually win out in the end.
We all know how greedy Lucas can be. He's sold out Star Wars so many times he can almost afford to buy his own REAL Falcon and fly to a galaxy far, far away. (And at times I really wish he would.)

Also, here's a bit of fair warning: I've read several news stories (from reputable sources) saying that Lucas is intending to edit his original films yet again! The stories said he'll be adding even more garbage scenes into the mix. I can only remember one example they gave (I remember it so well because I thought it sounded so terrible)- Lucas supposably wants to edit out Darth Vader's human face (when Luke takes off Vader's mask) and replace the old, original Vader with the new, young actor who's currently playing Vader in the prequels.
Sci-fi rumors are always questionable, but if the rumor I just shared holds any water, expect a THIRD version of the original trilogy.
E
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 12:50:32 AM »

...Sorry. Just a quick editing note. I meant to address my reply to "The Burgomaster", not "Vermin Boy" (though all are welcome to read and respond of course) ;)
George
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 08:10:25 AM »

I've never understood why folks get so hot over the "remaster" of the orignial Star Wars trilogy.  As a kid, I loved the original movies.  I'm one of the few people who actually saw "The Empire Strikes Back" more times than the other two films.

When I think about why I loved the films, I think it's because of the characters and story.  The mysticism of "long ago in a galaxy far, far away".  I saw the rereleases in the 90's and enjoyed the films just as much as I did when I was a kid.  The modifications that Lucas made didn't dull the experience for me.  After all, it's not like he replaced the light sabers with walkie-talkies.

As to the prequel trilogy, I have really enjoyed both "The Phantom Menace" and "Attack of the Clones" and am looking forward to part III.  As you can tell, I will be purchasing the orignals on DVD.
dirtcreature
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 09:35:37 AM »

I wouldn't mind having the films on DVD as my video copies are getting a little worn, not just by me  but friends who borrowed them!

It's a bit sad that the original versions are not being released for nowm yet we get the choice of widescreen or not. Bit rubbish as I yet to find a tv that shows true widescreen, rather than just streching the image and thus still missing the extra view on the sides.

As for the supposed parts 1-3 of the Star Wars saga, I remember reading a book called Journey of the Wills, or something like that, and it was the original part 2! No mention about Anakin being an effeminate-looking teenager, rather it was about Princess Leia and how she found out about the Empire and it's plans for a super weapon (Later to be known as the Death Star) and how she went about trying to get hold of them.

Still, anyone willing to sell out and make an abortion of a film that includes making up creatures called midichlorians (or whatever the hell those stupid cruddy things were meant to be called) that in effect makes all those books written by Kevin J. Anderson and others useless, obviously doesn't care about his/her fan base.
raj

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 09:37:23 AM »

So that's why I was hearing an evil Bwahahahahahaha laugh.
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 09:57:52 AM »

Same here.  I've got the unaltered originals on video.  Haven't watched them in years since I've seen them all a thousand times.  I don't think I'll buy DVD's of something I'm already sick of, especially not with those new CGI scenes that stand out like a sore thumb.
Kirk
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 10:16:49 AM »

I'll avoid them.  Lucas can smoke my butt.  I've got 2 copies of the unmolested versions of the films.  "Jedi Stomp" makes me want to puke.
nobody
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 12:06:25 PM »

I want to know when George will be releasing the Holiday Special on DVD :)
Dropo
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 01:18:48 PM »

I don't think he ever will. I've read he hates it so much, he wishes he could buy up all the copies and burn them
Dropo
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 01:23:57 PM »

I will probably be disappointed in them. I want a BIG boxed set, with old, ORGINAL trailers and TV spots, all the deleted scenes, all making-ofs, audition tapes, lobby cards, etc..... I will see what's on it when it comes out.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Who will buy the upcoming STAR WARS DVD trilogy . . . and who will avoid it? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.