Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:07:14 AM
714352 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What is your favorite type of comedy? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is your favorite type of comedy?  (Read 2820 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 08, 2004, 11:17:23 AM »

What is your favorite type of comedy?  I have listed various types below for your consideration:

1. black
2. wacky
3. satire
4. spoof
5. zany (which, as we all know, is very similar to wacky)
6. screwball
7. slapstick
9. parody
10. other

Please provide examples.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 11:58:47 AM »

I like everything from high brow to fart jokes. But I really enjoy the old screwball comedies. Some of my favorites include; Bringing Up Baby(1938), My Man Godfrey(1936), Libeled Lady(1936), My Favorite Wife(1940), Penthouse(1933), His Girl Friday(1940). They had the best dialogue, the wildest situations and some even involved wild animals! Katherine Hepburn, Myrna Loy, Irene Dunne, William Powell and, of course, Cary Grant are stars of the genre.

I'm not sure how you'd categorize them, but I'm also fond of the comedy/adventures of the 30's; The Thin Man, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Gunga Din...etc.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 12:43:02 PM »

My favorites are usually slapstick comedies like the PINK PANTHER movies or any of Abbott and Costello's works.  I also enjoy THE BLUES BROTHERS a lot.

Quirky comedies like BEING JOHN MALKOVICH are high on my list too.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 12:52:03 PM »

My all-time favorite comedy is RAISING ARIZONA.  I also enjoy W.C. Fields films, the Marx Brothers....

About the only comedies I just can't stand are the romantic variety.  Most other types there's at least one film in the category that I like, though there might be others that I don't like as much.  For example, I like AIRPLANE! and THE NAKED GUN but don't really like a lot of the ones that followed them.  But even in the films I don't like there's usually at least a few funny moments.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2004, 01:33:49 PM »

Anything with a lot of slapstick in it.

I love old 3 Stooges episodes where someone is getting hit every few seconds.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 01:39:19 PM »

Old Zucker  brothers   - Airplane,  Police Squad (TV) , and  Naked Gun

Monty Python - Anything

Three Stooges -  Only the ones with Curley!

Coen brothers -   especially  Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski, and O' Brother  Where Art Thou    ( I am going to see Lady Killers this weekend)

Mel Brooks  -  Blazing Saddles ,Young Frankenstein, and Silent  Movie

I like anything that keeps you looking to see what  the hell will happen next.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 06:19:25 PM »

Black comedy - like Heathers.  Anything with sarcastic people being mean to other people.
Bgrade
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 07:52:42 PM »

As a B-movie fan my favortie type of comedy is unintetional comedy caused by bad actting or  plots. (In many movies of some of this is intentional but I'll still count it, as they are not trying to pass the movie of as a straight comedy) .

Real comedy's don't stand out for me.  Yes I enjoy some of them like Blazing Saddles and Caddyshack,  but no "comedy" would be in my top 20.

If I have to watch a comedy I like sophisticated humor or stooges humor.

My least favorite is the more recent bathroom type humor.
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2004, 01:19:22 AM »

I'm a big fan of black comedy. Cannibalism = comedy gold!

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
maria paula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 07:15:08 AM »

agree, just got "oasis zombie" and without pretending did a very bad comedy,they were takeing serioulsy when they wrote the script?? sorry , what script??the plot its totally stupid and the acting................ ok, lets forget it, its just that im angry that i spent 9 euros buying that, but yes, in some way it could b  a nice comedy.

pauli
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2004, 08:12:52 AM »

I love the Kevin Smith comedies, with the exception of Jay And SIlent Bob Strike Back.  I don't know exactly what you would catagorize the films as other than talky.  Sure they can be crude, but they are still hilarious.

Dante: "My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!"
Customer: "In a row????"

Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy and Dogma are some of my favorite comedies of all time.  Great characters, and 99% of the time - great dialogue.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What is your favorite type of comedy? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.