Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:39:21 AM
713387 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Hero" (2002). The best martial arts film ever made. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Hero" (2002). The best martial arts film ever made.  (Read 1443 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 13, 2004, 09:26:15 AM »

Plot: A chinese king has been threatened for years by three assassins, but all of a sudden a young man, NoName (Jet Li) claims to have defeated them. He is taken to the presence of the king amd he explains how he defeated them. The king, however, refuses to believe him and has another opinion on how everything went.

This is a movie that mostly takes place in the minds of the king and NoName. Imagination, we soon are reminded, has no limits or boundaries. Both characters explain similar episodes in a completely different fashion. Characters act differently every time, and every scene is conceived as a self-contained set-piece, with its own story, setting and development.

And indeed, imagination has no limits. Accompanied by a relaxing music and absorbing cinematography, the characters of the drama play tricks on each other, love, die, reconcile... and, above all things, they fight. This movie is the culmination of a certain style of filming martial arts. The more similar thing I have ever seen are the fights on "Kill Bill" or "Crouching tiger, hidden dragon", but this film surpasses both films easily. The plot is tighter than in the film by Ang Lee, and while every single frame of the movie is a feast he doesn't allow the movie to become a mere aesthetics for the sake of aesthetics vehicle. Compared to the movie by Tarantino, it has an elegance "Kill Bill" couldn't ever have. Characters are also much better depicted, and while the action is constant director Zhang Yimou knows that unnecesary carnage will only draw attention to the real spirit of the film, its characters and story.

Now, before you start calling me names, go and rent the "Hero" DVD. You won't regret it.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
dean
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 09:31:45 AM »

I saw this on a crappy Vcd, so I didn't get the quality, but it was still a good film.  At least it's better than most.  To go and say best martial arts film ever made is a bit over the top [yes it's pretty good but I've seen more enjoyable films]  I'd also reccomend this film.

On that note, I liked Crouching Tiger better, and Kill Bill wasn't after elegance, but it was still pretty damn cool.

Definitley worth a look, for better or worse.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Hero" (2002). The best martial arts film ever made. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.