Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:54:20 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Did anyone else see The Ladykillers? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Did anyone else see The Ladykillers?  (Read 1519 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: April 13, 2004, 06:13:42 PM »

My wife and I went Sunday . This movie was a hoot and I really like seeing Tom Hanks doing something very different for him.  

Our one complaint was the constant use of the 'f' word.  This really did not complement  the atmosphere of the movie.  It may be my age but I really don't  think hearing someone repeat  a curse word over and over is funny unless it is making a plot point . In The Big Lebowski  it's overuse was actually one the jokes in the movie.

If anyone else has seen it  I'd appreciate your opinion.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 09:33:37 PM »

I really wanted to see it, but for some reason it didn't make it to any of the 13 screens in my town.  What, I ask you, the hell?  It was a wide-release movie, wasn't it?  CEC owns both theaters, an 8- and a 5- screener.  The new 8-screener is used for newer movies, the three-week or month-old ones get put to pasture in the older 5-screener.  I can't believe that with that much space, they couldn't find room for this movie.

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004, 01:02:38 PM »

Yes. I am trying to remember what I liked about it. Well, Tom Hanks, of course. The cinematography. Especially that opening shot. The camera on one level. The bridge/street below the camera. And the river below the bridge/street. And that wonderful black gosepl music.

I did notice the use of the "f-word" myself. It didn't bother me that much. Maybe because I expect people like that to talk like that.

Of course, the film is a remake of the 1955 film of the same title w/ Alec Guinness, Cecil Parker, Herbert Lom, Peter Sellers, and Danny Green. I don't know whether it is worthwhile to see the original before seeing the remake. I've seen the original, but only the beginning and the end, but not the middle part of the film.

Enjoyed the remake.

Max Gardner
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2004, 05:09:47 PM »

I was seriously disappointed by The Ladykillers.  The trailer was amazing.  The Coen Bros. are typically entertaining.  Tom Hanks in a comedic role? Haven't seen that since the nineties, and here he plays an evil Col. Sanders lookalike? Has to be worth watching, right? Maybe I set my sights too high on this one, but it wasn't all that funny, the characters weren't all that interesting or likeable (except for Hanks, and even he started to wear thin after a while) and the heist was lackluster.  This could have been Fantasy Mission Force Meets Ocean's Eleven.  Instead it was just boring.  Not horrible, maybe not even bad, but nowhere near what the Coens are capable of.  Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty are enough to shake my faith in them.
wuggles451
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 05:31:59 PM »

This maybe the first movie I've ever sat through and felt numb. I think i stayed expressionless throughout.It wasn't funny yet it wasn't horrible enough to anger me. It just lulled me into a state of calm, quiet boredom.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 08:15:10 AM »

Personal tastes are something else, especially when watching movies.  Sometimes you wonder if other people watched the same film you did. For that matter you wonder sometimes if they live on the same planet.

I guess it must be my advancing age that makes me wonder about such things.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2004, 12:28:00 PM »

This may be an European thing. I see that "The LadyKillers" has been accepted to be shown at the upcoming Cannes Film Festival. On the other hand, "Kill Bill, Vol 2" was offered as a showing at the festival and rejected.

Brock
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 01:49:12 PM »

I love the Coen Bros, but I was not a fan of "Ladykillers".  Better than "Intolerable Cruelty", but still, just not as good as it could have been.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Did anyone else see The Ladykillers? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.