Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:30:42 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  d.b.15 revisits "Terror of Mechagodzilla" and watchs "Destroy all Planets" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: d.b.15 revisits "Terror of Mechagodzilla" and watchs "Destroy all Planets"  (Read 822 times)
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 08, 2004, 07:05:22 PM »

Yesterday after school I stopped at Suncoast and noticed the ingenuis  "10 dollares or less" section of DVDs. I had twenty dollars so I figured two was a good number to buy. I found (by accident) "Destroy all Planets" or also known as "Gamera vs Viras". I was a bit surprized to find this because I only heard news about "Gamera vs. Monster X" being released here. I looked around for "Monster X" and found it in the new release section for 20.00 bucks + the three newer Gamera movies. I figured I'd save my money and buy these four later. Back in the "10 dollar" section I was able to find "Terror of Mechagodzilla" which for the last three weeks I've been trying to rent but could never find it, and I was really eager to watch it because it's been more than six years since I last saw it (at least!) So I got home and watched them. Would "Terror" be just as good now as it was six years ago? Would I be left with a sense of satifaction after watching "Destroy all Planets"?

*spoilers for both movies*

Destroy all Plants: It's got kids in it (of course!) but somehow they weren't so bad this time, and there are aliens in it with a hilariously strange looking Spaceship. The monster Viras was a okay looking monster but we got a good monster fight when Gamera took it on (Zigra had a cooler costume but he got a sucky fight.WHY!?). And Gamera bleeds his purpole blood quite a bit and uses his flame breath about three times (which usualy doesn't do much but it's still cool). And there are plenty of funny lines that would make Roger Cormen proud ("Hey....I think those kids tricked us....why?") Now the bad stuff (wait, that was the good stuff?)
One point in the movie the aliens look into Gamera's mind and see his history and we get about half an hour (maybe only twenty minutes) of STOCK FOOTAGE! We watch Gamera coming out of the ice in his first movie (again!) and we watch the two battles of Gamera and Barugon (again! and the aliens call Barugon "The Quick Freeze Monster") then we get to watch all three battles of Gamera vs Gyaos (again! and the aliens call Gyaos the "Super Sonic Ray Monster")And we see a scene of Gamera safeing a bratty kid. So the aliens kidnap the movie's two kids and hold them hostage and thus stop Gamera from attacking the ship, then the aliens place a mind control device on Gamera and tell him to destroy stuff. MORE STOCK FOOTAGE! But this is even worse! First he's told to destroy a dam...which look a LOT like the one from "Gamera vs Barugon" hmmmm. Then they say "Good work Gamera! Now destroy Tokyo!" and we get to see the scenes of Gamera destroying Tokyo in "Gamera the Invinicble" in glorious BLACK AND WHITE! And one last thing, we hear the annoying kiddy Gamera theme a few times. Despite the stock footage I rather liked this movie, now I have to save up for "Monster X" and the 90's Gamera movies.

And now for Mechagodzilla's return!

Terror of Mechagodzilla: I've always thought that out of the two 70's movies featuring MG both were kick-ass cool, but I also thought that "ToMG" was the better movie because of the darker feeling to it and even when I was younger it scared me a little. One scene that use to scare me was Titanasource's first apperance, the scene where he destroys the search sub ,man when I revisted that scene I was awed back into the years of my childhood and the open credits kicked ass with that music! Go Akira Ifukabe! I think the voice dubbing was a better than average in this movie which is always a plus. And who can foget Godzilla's awesome first appearnce in the movie? Boom that was cool! One strange thing was is that the heros somehow find out the enemies are aliens, it seems like they just figured that out out of the blue! Mechagodzilla's costume is more or  less the same as the last film but I noticed that it's a little different 1: It's painted a darker gray (nice!) and it's finger missles are pointier (nice also!) so this is really the same costume except with a new pain job and new hands, but I like it more. Titanasaurces and Mechagodzilla's attack on Tokyo was sweet as hell! I just wish we had seen Mechagodzilla blow up a army, I mean he could have just fired for five seconds and BOOM WA-CHOOM KA BLAM BOOM! *ahem* no more army. Oh well nothing's perfect. And here's something else that's wrong with the movie, once or twice we see the monsters walking behind stuff and they're just way too *bleeping* big! One scene Titanasaurce is walking behind a mounatin and he's about the same size as the mountain! What the *bleeb*!? Oh well but the monster battle at the end kicked ass! But at the end it feels like one or two scenes were shortened, I don't know if something was edited or the scenes were just poorly edited together, I noticed this because the music doesn't line up too well in some parts. Heh heh I rememeber when Godzilla killed Titanasaurce and the people started cheering I was cheering also (not yesterday, I'm talking about the first time I watched this) I swear when Godzilla is swimming away they're using Mechagodzilla's Godzilla disguies from "Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla". Was revisiting "MechaGodzilla" worth the ten dollars? Hell yes!

...."Quick Freeze Monster" heh heh he.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  d.b.15 revisits "Terror of Mechagodzilla" and watchs "Destroy all Planets" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.