Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:42:37 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Blob (1988) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Blob (1988)  (Read 8364 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: May 11, 2004, 11:09:19 PM »

Saw 15 minutes of this a couple nights ago and was having fun watching it, but could only watch the first 15 minutes of it. Did anyone like it?

Post Edited (05-11-04 23:12)

daveblackeye15

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 11:51:31 PM »

I like it. I think it's one of the few remakes that actually works. If a remake can add something new and it's slightly different and doesn't conflict with the original material then it can work. It worked for Twelve Angry Men but it didn't work so good with Night of the Living Dead. Now I want to see the 80's blob all over again, I remember watching the first blob and getting pretty creeped out about it but when I saw the new blob only a few years ago I was scared. The new blob just morphs into stuff and it's far more aggresive and faster to! Doesn't the Blob scare (freak/creep out) Andrew a little? I think he said that once. I like both version a lot.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 12:45:52 AM »

yeah i seen the new blob a couple times when i was younger. for a giant piece of jello that thing is creepy. the scene i always remeber is when the lady is in the phone booth and the blob comes and surrounds and oozes in. that scene always creeped me out for some reason.

"Dont be a fool for ur tool"

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

JohnL

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 03:18:02 AM »

I like the new Blob, but I don't care fort he texture of the blob itself. In the original, it really looked like it could all squeeze through the tiniest hole. The new blob kind of looks like a giant piece of chewed gun and I have a problem believing it would actually fit under a door.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 02:33:49 PM »

I saw it during its original theatrical run and I liked it.  However, repeat viewings aren't nearly as good as the first time.  I still like the original Steve McQueen version a lot better.  One thing I do not like about the remake is the fact that the Blob has tentacles.  I think that a slimey, oozing mass is much scarier than something with tentacles.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 02:53:51 PM »

It was a really fun movie.  I remember it had this plot about the town's good girl (sheriff's daughter?) and the town's motorcycle riding, black jacket wearing bad boy.  Then there was theat really spooky preacher guy.  Cool movie.  The special effects worked well, it was nice and creepy.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 04:45:07 PM »

Mr. Hockstatter wrote:

> It was a really fun movie.  I remember it had this plot about
> the town's good girl (sheriff's daughter?)

...played by Shawnee Smith, who went on to be the ditsy medical assistant on the TV sitcom "Becker".

She's cute, but really really weird.
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 04:54:57 PM »

I like the original way more.  The part I always remember in this one is the sink drain scene, eck.

-----------------------------------------------------
Wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die
JohnL

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 10:29:54 PM »

>I remember it had this plot about the town's good girl (sheriff's daughter?)

Nope, she was the pharmacist's daughter. Remember, her date's friend is buying condoms at the drugstore and when the town priest shows up, the friend pretends that the condoms aren't for him, but for Shawnee Smith's date. He ends up getting ribbed ones. Later, when the guy goes to pick up Shawnee, she invites him into to meet her father. He puts down his paper and it's the pharmacist. He takes one look at her date, his smile fades and he says "Ribbed".
Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2004, 09:30:38 AM »

Ah yes, how could I forget that!  Classic scene.
Flangepart

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 12:59:59 PM »

Tenticles are a dime a dozen. Not a red oozing mass you don't dear even touch...THATs scary! When i was a kid, i saw it, and it made me want a phaser so bad! I pretended i was setting for "Disintrigrate". Hey, it worked on the Mugato!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 08:59:45 PM »

Well, it seems that everyone enjoyed this remake. Encore Channel Mystery (or regular) showed it this month. I'll have to check the listings to see if it's coming on again. Encore usually repeats films during the same month.

Max Gardner
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2004, 09:27:40 PM »

Gore generally doesn't get to me in movies, but for some reason the effects in The Blob struck me as incredibly gruesome, even difficult to watch.  In that regard it's unique, but the dialogue's awful (not awful enough to be entertaining).
JohnL

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 10:36:20 PM »

>I'll have to check the listings to see if it's coming on again.

Go for it, it's a fun movie. :)
Yaddo42
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2004, 04:08:27 PM »

I like it, not as much as the original, but still liked it enough to buy it from the $5.50 Bin of Terror at Wally World. A buddy watched in high school and was most creeped out by the guy getting eaten while trying to cop a feel from the drunk girl. He seemed to think that was "unfair" and couldn't handle the idea that the blob was eating the girl from the inside out apparently.

I can remember seeing the original on the early morning movie one Sunday when I was about 5 or 6 and being creeped out when the blob became a ball, rolled silently and cornered the nurse. After we got to church I kept trying to peek around and under the pews and into the aisle since I was convinced the blob was coming for me and no one would hear it coming. Couldn't explain it to mom to save my life when she got on to me.

I know the 1988 version wasn't a hit but I always wished they had made a sequel, since the ending with the preacher was so creepy. It couldn't have been any worse than the 1972 Larry Hagman directed sequel "Son of the Blob". One of the few times I can remember feeling sorry for every actor I recognized in it: Robert Walker Jr., Burgess Meredith, and Godfrey Cambridge.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Blob (1988) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.