Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:33:49 AM
714322 Posts in 53093 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Blob (1988) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Blob (1988)  (Read 8362 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2004, 09:29:59 PM »

That Larry Hagman one is another I haven't seen, but I do like the original so much with Steve McQueen and that groovy music at the beginning.

BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2004, 01:03:19 PM »

I have seen both, and I for one like the original better then the remake. What I found interesting was how cynical filmmakers think filmgoers have become, since the original. In the remake, religion is a drunk, the medical profession is in it solely for the money, law enforcement is only there to hassle teens who want to have fun, and it's all the government's fault.

What the remake does get right, is getting actors who are closer to the actual age of the characters they portray. As much as I like Steve McQueen in the original, a 28-year-old actor cannot pass for a 17-year-old character.

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2004, 06:27:16 PM »

It's been years since I've seen it but I remember it being pretty enjoyable.

There were only 2 things I didn't like about it and they were
a.) The casting of Kevin Dillon..(I never liked him very well for some reason)

b.) the fact that The Blob was man-made...
I think that having outer space as it's place of origin is so much cooler!

Other than those two things, it was a fun romp of gruesomeness.

Kory
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2004, 12:14:30 AM »

I did like the 1988 version- my husband and I both watch "Becker", so we saw it out of curiosity (Shawnee Smith).  We both liked it a lot- campy fun.

One side note, though:  EVERYTHING IS COOLER WITH STEVE MCQUEEN!
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2004, 01:39:50 PM »

THE BLOB (1988) is on FLIX east and west again a couple times today. I'll try to catch the rest of it today.

Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2004, 05:56:53 PM »

I remember when this movie came out and I was 5 years old. i was convinced that the blob lived in the sewers with Michael Dukakis (a politician who my father hated at the time) I hadnt seen the movie, but I had seen many previews for it andbeing 5, my imagination did the rest and I was terrified of the Blob.

Anyways my dad took me to a jacuzzi for my first time ever, had never seen one. He told me when the Blob attacks people bubbles fly out of the drain and then it gets you. Needless to say I got in slowly settled down and then...

FLOOSH... BUBBLES

Havent run that fast ever since.

I did see the movie when I was older and enjoyed it but did not fear it at all.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Susan
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2004, 07:24:52 PM »

Oddly enough the 80's/90's had a few remakes that worked in their own way for me. I liked the Blob, it's cheesy and the perfect saturday night popcorn flick, guilt free with the price tag at walmarts discount bin. Body snatchers was another ("where ya gonna go? where ya gonna hide? Nowhere...cause there's no one like you left!")   My god, matt dillons uglier brother tried - did he ever establish a real career?

Wasn't there a son of blob?

BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2004, 11:15:13 AM »

Yes, there was. Though, I haven't seen it. I have heard it had litttle to do with the original "The Blob." Probably its greatest fame, beside its supposed badness, was that it was directed by Larry "J. R. Ewing" Hagman.

JohnL

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2004, 04:51:04 AM »

>I have heard it had litttle to do with the original "The Blob."

I don't know if I'd say that. At the start of the film, a can containing a sample of the original blob is dug up at a construction site. One of the workers takes it home and accidentally lets the blob out. Then just like in the first one, it goes around killing people and getting bigger.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2004, 09:22:42 AM »

Yaddo42 wrote:

"It couldn't have been any worse than the 1972 Larry Hagman directed sequel "Son of the Blob". One of the few times I can remember feeling sorry for every actor I recognized in it: Robert Walker Jr., Burgess Meredith, and Godfrey Cambridge."

True.  The 1972 sequel is one of the really bad (but fun) movies of the 70s.  It was known as "Son of Blob" as well as "Beware! The Blob."  (The DVD version that I have uses the "Beware! The Blob" title).  Not only did Larry Hagman direct it, but he also has a small acting role in it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Deon
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2004, 11:52:26 PM »

Would anyone be interested in viewing another blob movie? Maybe a sequel to the 1988 version of the blob?
Susan
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2004, 12:14:40 AM »

Deon wrote:

> Would anyone be interested in viewing another blob movie? Maybe
> a sequel to the 1988 version of the blob?

Nope, i'm blobbed to death plus all the CGI would bore me. How about a horror with the stay puft marshmallow man that turns into The Stuff?

Deon
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2004, 01:06:57 PM »

Susan,
   How would they kill him :-D ?
Deon
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2004, 01:08:37 PM »

Susan,

It wouldn't be as bad as all of those friday the 13th movies.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2004, 01:29:35 PM »

Well, if you got a chocolate candy bar, a graham cracker, a stick, and a campfire, and they were all large enough, you could have have the largest smore anyone had ever seen. Sweet!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Blob (1988) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.