Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:03:49 PM
714237 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Troy (2004) **** « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Troy (2004) ****  (Read 6021 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: May 15, 2004, 08:26:11 PM »

TROY (2004) - Wow, just seen this new release starring Brad Pitt as Achilles. Now this is how you make an epic film. No CGI images that I could notice and Brad Pitt is awsome in this incredible film. Anyone who likes sword and sandal type films must not miss this one. Everything from the story, action, and dialogue is very good. They have thousands of people in this film and the city of troy is cool as are the Spartan ships.

Don't miss this one on the big screen. You won't be dissappointed. I rate it up there with CONAN THE BARBARIAN and GLADIATOR.

Post Edited (05-15-04 20:26)

Lars
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 12:10:56 AM »

Well Scott,

I just returned home after viewing the movie "Troy" too. The only thing that kept me in the theater for the duration of the film was the knowledge that Brad Pitt's character would die. Unfortunately that happened in the last few moments of the film ( as I so intensely hated Pitt's performance- a blonde haired blue eyed Greek Hollywood hunk?). In fact I didn't see one actor portraing a Greek who even remotely looked Greek.

This was a $400 million B-movie Brad Pitt vehicle. Everything about "Troy" is second rate including the soundtrack. Bring back Dino De Laurentis for this varity of cheese. The problem is it was so bland that it isn't "so bad it's good".

I hope the boobs who made this stinker loose their shirts because they wasted my hard earned money and my time. Hollywood is clearly unable to produce a real epic film as they must pander to the mass market of fools.

Peter O'Tool may be in this film but "Troy" is no "Lawerence of Arabia".

Lars

Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 08:26:34 AM »

wow well put man. i probably wont catch it myself. after Spartacus i'm pretty tired of seeing films with men running around in scantily clad leather.

Post Edited (05-19-04 15:38)
Michael
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 01:45:26 PM »

Lars wrote:

> Well Scott,
>
> I just returned home after viewing the movie "Troy" too. The
> only thing that kept me in the theater for the duration of the
> film was the knowledge that Brad Pitt's character would die.
> Unfortunately that happened in the last few moments of the film
> ( as I so intensely hated Pitt's performance- a blonde haired
> blue eyed Greek Hollywood hunk?). In fact I didn't see one
> actor portraing a Greek who even remotely looked Greek.
>
> This was a $400 million B-movie Brad Pitt vehicle. Everything
> about "Troy" is second rate including the soundtrack. Bring
> back Dino De Laurentis for this varity of cheese. The problem
> is it was so bland that it isn't "so bad it's good".
>
> I hope the boobs who made this stinker loose their shirts
> because they wasted my hard earned money and my time. Hollywood
> is clearly unable to produce a real epic film as they must
> pander to the mass market of fools.
>
> Peter O'Tool may be in this film but "Troy" is no "Lawerence of
> Arabia".
>
> Lars
>

Lars, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about the movie!
smengie
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 08:21:21 PM »

>Unfortunately that happened in the last few moments of the film ( as I so intensely >hated Pitt's performance- a blonde haired blue eyed Greek Hollywood hunk?). In >fact I didn't see one actor portraing a Greek who even remotely looked Greek.

I hate to tell you this but homer himself described Helen as blonde, as well as her husband Menelaus, while Odysseus is a redhead. Modern greeks have more in common with modern Turks than they do with acient Spartans and Athenians and so on.
Kory
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 12:10:35 AM »

Being a female in her mid-twenties, I don't get easily tired of this trend.  It doesn't make a good movie, but eye candy is nice once in a while (i.e. SWAT).

:)
Susan
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 07:01:00 PM »

This film just looks boring - like a gladiator wanna-be only from what i hear pitt is sporting that horrible accent

Eirik
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 10:11:06 PM »

The Washington Post review of this movie made a good point: Brad Pitt, Eric Bana, and Orlando Bloom starring in a movie with thousands of sweaty, half naked men on the beach...  it's the ultimate gay date movie.
Scott

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 11:43:43 PM »

Ouch ! Guess you all didn't like it very much.  : )

We went as a family to see this film and we all enjoyed it. The best film we have seen in the theater since LORD OF THE RINGS (the third one).

Post Edited (05-18-04 00:13)

Zilla
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 10:44:55 AM »

I agree with you Lars after the first half an hour I started to get bored. There is not enough story to keep the thing going for 2 hours, it's a Brad Pitt vehicle.  Most of all the only reason it was made was so the boys could play with their new toy the CGI army, scene after bloody scene of it, was there any story at all? It was used to better effect in Lord of the Rings and speaking of which didn't you just expect Sean Bean to stick his head round the corner when Achille's got shot in the chest and say "I know just how you feel"  The only things good about it was Sean Bean and Peter O'toole.  Did anybody else notice Agemennom's occasional scottish accent or was it me?
Scott

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 11:36:18 AM »

If CGI was used in this film then they have come along way in using it as I remember STAR WARS and THE MUMMY films and some other recent films not using it as well at all, not as TROY has done.  As far as the story I thought each of the legendary characters was a movie unto itself. Did it all fall neatly into place culminating into some complete final story ending, perhaps not, but each character had there own story.

Speaking of CGI  GLADIATOR had some real bad CGI. In TROY it isn't nearly as noticable if at all. Again well done. If this was CGI then it has reached a new level.

Post Edited (05-18-04 14:45)

frannie
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 01:45:32 PM »

Zilla wrote:

> Did anybody else notice Agemennom's occasional scottish accent or was it me?

I noticed Glaucus'.
Max Gardner
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 05:36:27 PM »

Disappointing. I'd go so far as to say crappy. At $200 million, Troy is one of the most expensive movies ever made, but the whole production comes across as half-assed. The battle scenes are big and loud, but not exciting. The script is articulate, but not intelligent. And its lack of character relative to Gladiator, the closest movie to which I can draw any comparisons with Troy, doesn't help when you're watching this for three hours.  The Greeks, particularly Agamemnon, are portrayed as bloodthirsty a***oles, while the Trojans are clearly meant to be sympathetic.  It's not particularly faithful  to either The Illiad or recorded history (Helen was in love with Paris? Menelaus was an abusive husband? The Trojan War took place over the course of about three weeks instead of, y'know, ten years?).  And I'm a card-carrying atheist, but it's a shame to see an adaptation of The Illiad in which the gods are not only taken out of the action entirely, but disrespected by the characters.  Troy is not gory enough to satisfy on a visceral level, nor is it smart enough to be intellectually stimulating.  I like Greek history, and I like watching people beat the hell out of each other with swords.  I really wanted to like this movie, and for half an hour or so it seemed all right, but it just ended up a jumbled mess.
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 05:45:52 PM »

Zilla wrote:
Did anybody else notice
> Agemennom's occasional scottish accent or was it me?

Oh no, for a second there I felt I was watching Braveheart and one of my other friends commented that he felt Sean Connery had made a cameo voice appearence. Halfway through the movie, some other college guys yelled out that Orlando Bloom (Paris) was gay and the whole theatre laughed or cheered making it seem as though this were the case.

In any case the script was AWFUL,
THe acting reflected the script (when Eric Bana gives the best performance, the movie has problems) and Brad Pitt just looked utterly bored and bloated
They didnt follow the original story at all either they butchered a real classic.

I will agree the first half hour is entertaining, but quickly, and I mean QUICKLY devolves and drags on. I want my 2.5 hours of look back.

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
Scott

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2004, 11:09:34 PM »

I'm starting to wonder if I went to the same movie as you people. Are you all sure you all didn't go see BATTLEFIELD EARTH together?

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Troy (2004) **** « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.