Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:31:58 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Troy (2004) **** « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Troy (2004) ****  (Read 6052 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2004, 04:29:50 AM »

I enjoyed most of it, it is a serious, well made adaptation of Homer's Iliad packed with interesting characters and great action but...

**** Warning: The folloe¡wing ramblings contain spoilers ****

What the hell happenned in the final act of the movie? All of a sudden the filmmakers seem to be afraid of their material and start introducing PC stuff. I can forgive them for being that tame with sex, but the fall of Troy is one of the most boring and aseptic assaults I have ever seen. And to turn Achilles into a soft version of an action hero? He even apologises to his servants ans slaves for having hit them! And what a sad ending for Agamenon... truly awful stuff. But the worst is that at least half of the main trojan characters survive. Eh? Look, if they didn't want to shoot certain things they should have selected another material. You just can't choose one of the most bloody, amoral (for our modern standards, that is) epic of all time and then change gears at the last moment.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Zilla
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2004, 12:14:02 PM »

Sorry Scott I think your on the the trojan side of the battle line here.  A little out numbered but don't worry every one loves Lord of the Rings.
The Ghoul
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2004, 12:42:09 PM »

Sorry, I hated Lord Of The Rings it should have had more dancing fiaries!! Okay, I kid ...it friggen ruled. Previews for Troy on the other hand seems a tad like spending an afternoon walking through a New York City YMCA shower in a small towel. Nothing wrong with liking things homo-erotic but I don't want to pay $9 and bend over at the same time. I smell a rental on Troy. I'll check out a matinee of Shrek 2 instead.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2004, 03:24:48 PM »

i just saw troy on wed and well it still wasnt the worst movie made it was boring.  

(SPOILERS AHEAD)

when pitt was killed at the end it was so anti-climatic he was alive for 2 min. with like 4 arrows in him and could still talk ok. the winners of troy were basically the women who all lived and the priestess even killed the king.

"Dont be a fool for ur tool"

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Eirik
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2004, 08:40:59 AM »

Neville:
Had the Greeks go easy on Troy and treat their slaves in an enlightened fashion?  You don't think the PC stuff was to avoid offending Greece prior to their hosting the Olympics this Summer, do you?  (Not meant to imply that it was - just a theory).

Actually, I bet Brad Pitt lobbied to have him be nice to the slaves as he probably feels his image might suffer if he were to play an flawed (in Hollywood that means EVIL) person.
Neville

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2004, 10:50:49 AM »

Eirik wrote: "Had the Greeks go easy on Troy and treat their slaves in an enlightened fashion?  You don't think the PC stuff was to avoid offending Greece
prior to their hosting the Olympics this Summer, do you?  (Not meant to imply
that it was - just a theory)."

Don't think so. You know how easily people who are against a particular movie for depicting their group in a non-PC fashion use to make a lot of noise. Didn't hear a thing about greeks talking against the movie.

He also pointed out: "Actually, I bet Brad Pitt lobbied to have him be nice to the slaves as he probably feels his image might suffer if he were to play an flawed (in
Hollywood that means EVIL) person."

Two words: Tyler Durden. Despite this, you may be right on this one.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Eirik
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2004, 11:01:38 PM »

"i just saw troy on wed and well it still wasnt the worst movie made it was boring.

(SPOILERS AHEAD)

when pitt was killed at the end it was so anti-climatic he was alive for 2 min. with like 4 arrows in him and could still talk ok. the winners of troy were basically the women who all lived and the priestess even killed the king."

Okay, what does it say about the education system in America that Achilles dying is considered a "spoiler"??
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2004, 11:34:09 PM »

Eirik wrote:

>
> what does it say about the education system in America
> that Achilles dying is considered a "spoiler"??

i guess i should of wrote more clearly thats not what i meant. i knew achilles was going to die i meant the way he died. he was shot with a bunch of arrows and he was still talking for a couple of mins. and the reason i wrote "spoiler ahead" because when i went to see the movie people actually were shocked when the greeks came out of the horse to attack troy. i thought i might be spoiling something for someone thats all.

"Dont be a fool for ur tool"

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Max Gardner
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2004, 12:50:48 AM »

Yeah, when I went to see this one people were taken aback at the Trojan Horse as well as Achilles' death.  I assume these were the same people who didn't get the "u-boat captain" joke in The House of the Dead.  I was hoping this was a Delaware-only phenomenon.  The entire country can't be intellectually bankrupt, can it? Right? The Illiad and The Odyssey are required high school reading, for Pete's sake.

"READ A BOOK!" --Handy
Eirik
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2004, 07:24:55 AM »

"The Illiad and The Odyssey are required high school reading, for Pete's sake."

I don't know about that.  I never had to read either book in grade school, high school, or college.  Fortunately (though I didn't think so at the time) I had a dad who made the two books (and many others) required reading in his household.  I graduated HS in 1989 by the way if that tells you something about how long those books dropped off some schools' radar screens.

At least they made me read Shakespeare.
Jay
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2004, 10:35:56 AM »

But *no*, I had to suffer through "Pride And Predjudice" in HS
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2004, 11:55:36 AM »

I have no interest in seeing this. Having had to suffer reading Homer's "Iliad" in a school class, is all the "Troy," I ever want to see or hear.

I will say, if one is interested in the subject, one might see if one can find an old episode of "Xena; Warrrior Princess," which put Xena and Gabrielle at the fall of Troy. As far as I can remember, what made this story somewhat more interesting then the other versions of Troy, was the feminist take on the story.

I would also like to add, that I have heard that the sailing of the Greek fleet is CGI.

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2004, 03:18:15 PM »

I had to read The Oddysey in high school and I forgot what it was about!

Eirik
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2004, 11:49:25 PM »

"I will say, if one is interested in the subject, one might see if one can find an old episode of "Xena; Warrrior Princess," which put Xena and Gabrielle at the fall of Troy."

There's some dispute among historians about the impact they had on the duration of the siege and the outcome.
JohnL

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2004, 05:15:16 AM »

I seem to recall being taught some of this in school, and the gist of it sank in, but I don't remember the story in detail.

Unless I'm thinking of something else, we were once shown a literal translation of one of Homer's poems, and it was like 5 lines long. From this they somehow got a detailed 20-30 page story of something that I couldn't even see a trace of in the poem?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Troy (2004) **** « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.