Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:07:47 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Werewolf opinion « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Werewolf opinion  (Read 9055 times)
Evan3
Bad Movie Lover

« on: May 17, 2004, 07:04:51 PM »

I got into this argument with my friend about what the coolest werewolf ever was. Now clearly the best werewolf ever to appear in any movie is those in An American Werewolf in Paris, they really were so original and had incredible changing scenes.

My friend says that those in Underworld, were by far the greatest werewolfs ever. I am at a bit of a disadvantage since I REFUSE to watch that movie if I can help it. But I have seen commercials and the werewolves look like turds on legs. They look incredibally fake and very lame.

Here are the greatest werewolves in order
1) American Werewolf in Paris
2) Van Helsing
3) Dog Soldiers
4) Nazi Werewolves in An American Werewolf in London
5)  Lon Cheyney Jr.

anyways, not many people have seen these so please weigh in. Also am I giving Underworld too hard of a time? Should I watch it?

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."

--Lady Astor to Winston Churchill

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."

--His reply
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 07:41:40 PM »

The Howling had the coolest .  This movie had the first  transformation without camera tricks.  Rob Bottin (The Thing, Robocop) beat Rick Baker to the punch by a few months,  although Baker got the oscar for An American Werewolf in London.  

Of course  The Howling went on to have several really bad sequels, at least one of which Andrew has reviewed on this site.  

I will always love the scene where Robert Picardo (ST:Voyager) confronts Dee Wallace in the doctors office and does his transfomation.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Eirik
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 10:07:20 PM »

Trek Geezer makes a good point about the Howling, but I think the American Werewolf in LONDON edges those guys by a little bit.  The Dog Soldiers werewolves reminded me a lot of the Howling werewolves and were also very good.

Interesting that you liked the Paris werewolves, Evan3.  I didn't like them at all.  To me they were obviously CGI and looked like something out of a video game (which to me is a bad thing).  I felt the same way about Underworld's werewolves.  I think CGI still has a long way to go.  I think it is best used to achieve things that would be impossible without it (Peter Jackson's LOTR armies) and not something that the filmmaker is just too lazy to do (like a good werewolf).

Still, WORST werewolf ever: Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 11:49:06 PM »

Trek Geezer:

Too true. And Andrew's reviewed two movies Holwing II and Howling III (BadMovies.org geek here.) I haven't seen American Werewolf in Paris but I vote for Howling also and Dog Soliders and I hate CGI werewolfs (except for the one's in video games. When they're in videogames they're cool I guess)

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 12:23:37 AM »

Not sure about the coolest Werewolf, but the best is of course Lon Chaney Jr. and Paul Naschy.

I like when Chaney tells the people that he turns into a werewolf when the moon is full and nobody believes him. It's to funny.

Post Edited (05-18-04 00:33)

maria paula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 01:11:01 AM »

"a american werewolf in london " i dont know 9if its the best werewolf but its   a great film one of the most impressive transformations of te 80ies films.

pauli
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 02:19:28 AM »

I will go for "The Howling" as well.  My favorite is probably "An American Werewolf in London" due to the black humor involved, like him talking to his victim's spirits.  And, as has been pointed out, the beasties in "Dog Soldiers" were surprisingly good.

You know, a movie based on White Wolf's "Werewolf" game could be quite interesting.  Unfortunately, being turned into a movie would probably totally screw up any promise.  I blame writers and directors for that.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 09:20:25 AM »

I vote for "Woolfie" from the old GROOVY GHOULIES cartoon show.  (Those of you who grew up in the 70s will remember it).

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Neville

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 10:19:46 AM »

Mmmmm... I don't remember the werewolfes on "Dog soldiers" being that good. They looked quite static and expression-less to me, but the did quite a good job disguising that with the camerawork, at least in their first appearences.

If I had to vote on any, I would choose "An american werewolf in London", like several of you did.

BTW, "Romasanta", the latest Fantastic Factory film opened last week in Spain, and it is quite good. The studio seems to move to serious horror with every new release, and this particular film recreates the killings of Romasanta (Julian Sands), a XIXth century merchant who believed he could turn into a wolf. I found it excellent most of the time, but haven't heard of US releases yet, so all you can get right now is a Quicktime trailer:

http://www.quedetrailers.com/trailers934.htm

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 10:23:21 AM »

Did I say "American Werewolf in Paris"? or "London?" I remember one is often debated (like right now) against the Howling for best werewolf effects. Which one is it? I haven't seen either actually. And if I said the wrong movie I meant the one with good werewolf effects.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Darkautumn
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 11:05:12 AM »

Glad someone mentioned Paul Naschy. His "Waldemar Daninsky" werewolf movies may not always be the best, but they're always entertaining. Chaney Jr.'s a classic, too, but my vote for absolute coolest werewolf ever, and my personel favorite....Oliver Reed as the savage, silver-furred lycanthrope in Hammer's "The Curse of the Werewolf!"
Eirik
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 11:53:58 AM »

daveblackeye - You meant London.  In addition to being (IMO) the best werewolf, it is also (IMO) the best modern werewolf movie.  Rent it as soon as possible and print up Andrew's review to read along.  Guaranteed enjoyment.
Derf
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 12:25:17 PM »

Eirik wrote:
> Still, WORST werewolf ever: Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf.

Change Michael J. Fox to Jason Bateman and "Teen Wolf" to "Teen Wolf Too" and THEN you're talking the worst werewolf. Although the wolf in "Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory" may edge them both out.

odinn7

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 01:01:12 PM »

The comment about the Werewolves in Underworld being CGI is incorrect. I'm sure there was a little bit of CGI used but if you watch the DVD and look at the special features section, there is a whole thing on how they made the wolves. They talk about how they wanted to stay away from CGI and go back to the way it should be...people in suits with special effects teams making them look right.
My votes on this (no particular order)-
Howling (the first and only Howling as far as I'm concerned)
American Werewolf in London
Underworld
Dog Soldiers

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2004, 01:34:26 PM »

How about this one starring Micheal Landon.

Post Edited (05-18-04 13:36)

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Werewolf opinion « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.