Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:44:55 PM
714316 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Goth vs Freak « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: OT: Goth vs Freak  (Read 3281 times)
Dutchman
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2004, 09:45:43 AM »

God, I hated school. I'm 30, and I remember in my high school (rural Kentucky) the popular kids were the 'preps', there were also 'prep-thugs', skate-boarders & heavy metal dudes were 'headbangers', nerds were 'dweebs', rednecks& hillbillies were 'S-10ers', ....I was a 'nobody'.
maria paula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2004, 01:06:34 PM »

i dont know how freaks were defined in 1986 but nowadays here in spain, at least in the city where i live  freaks use to be those ones how likes to play roll games, start trek fans, love gore, comics, b movies and lots of things, so i guess that many of us at here we are like that :).

pauli
George
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2004, 01:14:53 PM »

I'm Azreal Abyss.....ooooooooo.....remember...stay out of the light....ooooooo.

I loved that SNL bit with Chris Kattan and Molly Shannon....Goth Talk I think it was.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2004, 04:00:05 PM »

I went to high school from 1988 to 1992 (yes I graduated) and in the late 80's bands like Skid Row, Poison, Slaughter, Metallica & Megadeth were HUGE.

I was never really into rock until a good friend named John handed me two casette tapes to listen to.
I was given "And Justice For All" by Metallica and "State of Euphoria" by Anthrax and lemme tell ya, I WAS TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY!

Remember that I had never really listened to much music at all and then I get these 2 kickass albums.

I turned into a "Headbanger/Metalhead" almost overnight.

I went out and bought every rock and metal tape I could get my hands on.
I started to let my hair grow out.
I bought all different clothes and adopted the Headbanger style of dress including the large & cool Metallica iron-on patch that went on the back of my jean jacket.
I even bought a bunch of those square color pins that went on the front of the jacket.
Each pin had a rock or metal band on it.  Remember those?
I also bought and wore only black T-shirts that said OZZY or some other band on them.
I also wore those riding gloves with the fingers cut off down to the knuckes.
Hehe!

I even went so far as to buy a cherry red bass guitar with amp and take bass lessons for awhile at a local music shop.

I eventually lost interest in the bass (why, I don't know) and realized that looking like a headbanger all the time didn't go well with the goody-two-shoe public so I phased the look out my senior year in high school.

After that I turned preppy...the antithesis of a metalhead.
The thing is...I turned preppy but still cranked the s**t out of all that rock/metal in my car or at home.

Ah, those were the days....

Post Edited (05-24-04 16:08)
Susan
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2004, 06:10:08 PM »

Ash- hate to say but Ride the Lightening was my favorite of all, after "And justice for all" metallica became mainstream. They did their first video, they sold out. I used to loathe when the preps at school said they loved metallica and would blast "enter sandman" in their spanking new bmw's. Or demonstrate they were a die hard aerosmith fan when their new stuff came out ("cryin") and never layed ears on Toys in the attic and earlier stuff. The kids who posed as freaks and didn't really know what the crap they were listening and would go home to leave it to beaver to we called the posers, as the rest of us had broken homes, and a whole lotta issues. I caught up with a friends the other week and found out as it seems almost all of our old "gang" is dead from one thing or another. it's kinda sad, they were descent kids

And god I hope you aren't cranking "poison" and "cinderella" at home...lol

Although i was a freak i didn't listen to alot of mainstream metal, I was very picky. I mean i liked the whitenake and def leppord for the mild glam metal but i liked testement, megadeth, black sabbath...i was all into the 70's and early 80's stuff. I wasn't limited, I liked some of the alternative stuff at the time, like u2 and...i'm embarassed to admit I listened to some pretty freaky stuff like buthole surfers, and berlin (not so freaky but i went through a mild punk phase)..well at least that was brief journey into the unknown at age 13 when i was just discovering who i wanted to be..lol

As years pass I still appreciate the classics, but I think the two bands that right now i love more than anything are queen and U2. Queen is pure nostalgia, makes me remember alot of my childhood and through my teens. U2 on the other hand, i love their old and new, they along with aerosmith really managed to keep with the times and appeal to new generations of kids. But the one thing I hated then and now is when kids don't listen to the old stuff. I don't get it, just because it's old doesn't mean it's OLD - if you know what i mean. I listen to all eras of music even now, and i guess the same applies for movies. Back then as now alot of kids don't watch anything old, all they are exposed to is new stuff because they're under the illusion new=better. I always found that anything artistic doesn't age, it's like a fine wine that seasons with age.

but i digress...

Post Edited (05-24-04 18:15)
Drezzy Mac
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2004, 06:19:23 PM »

Sounds more like you were the group that was part of our group more than you were the group that kicked our group's ass...
JohnL

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2004, 10:38:19 PM »

>you must have went to a very straight school. For generations each group of
>kids is always labeled unless you're school produces much of the same.

I don't think my school was that different. There were definitely various groups, I just don't recall them ever being given 'official' names like freaks. There were many kids who fit the "freak" image as defined in this thread, but they weren't actually called that, at least that I know of. I suppose it's possible that I just never heard it, especially considering that I didn't have all that many friends.

>Ok Skai- it's on my profile. And i'm taking it down in 24 hours, after that you'll have
>to go to the post office to see it.

Gee, I guess I'll have to make sure to save a copy of it then. :)

I'm no expert, but you look fairly normal to me. Funny, I always kind of pictured you as a blonde...

>It's called..."i'm 30 and I can still kick your ass!" - at least that's what it looks like
>i'm thinking. Either that or hostility that i don't have cable but 3 channels and
>telemundo.

To me it looks like sadness that Mullet Man hasn't returned your calls.
Susan
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2004, 06:04:48 PM »

> I'm no expert, but you look fairly normal to me. Funny, I
> always kind of pictured you as a blonde...

Normal isn't really the word i'd use..lol But blonde? Do i really come across as a bubblehead? No i'm in the 5 percentile - redhead. With a twist of cherokee and spanish. i guess technically that means i can cook you a mean burrito, get raging drunk, lose my temper and scalp you.

George
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2004, 07:49:21 AM »

mmmmmm......burito scalp
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2004, 04:23:02 PM »

I went to a small-town high school of about 1,200 kids pulled from a large rural catchment area. I think in those days, anybody dressing too outrageously probably would have gotten the crap beaten out of him by a bunch of farmers.

We did have our groups. There were the preppy kids (popular yet annoying), the headbangers (likeable concert-shirt crowd), the geeks (who hung out in the computer lab and played D&D), the artsy fartsies, the hockey heads and their puck bunnies, and the gearheads down in the tech department. I recall, in earlier years, there were wavers, with their skinny ties, epaulettes and gelled two-tone hair, but they pretty much disappeared.

I basically fit into none of the groups, although I associated with geeks, bangers and gearheads. By the time I graduated in '89, I was fully integrated into the gearhead crowd, with my shoulder-length mullet, tinted aviator glasses, wispy mustache, my jacked-up Buick with the mags, loud exhaust and Aerosmith cranked in the tape deck. My wife, who went to an urban school about an hour away, has since classified me as a "skid."

People do change though. A lot of the people I couldn't stand in high school turned out to be decent folks after a couple of years in the real world.

I've since pretty much developed my own style, different yet conservative. Not sure what you'd call a shaved head and Colonel Sanders beard, with dark-rimmed glasses, blue jeans, cotton work shirt and worn-out sneakers. I've pretty much had to ignore everybody's fashion advice for years to achieve this look. Drives my wife nuts that I have a closet full of similar shirts in three or four different colours (none worth more than $20), a stack of identical jeans, and a drawer full of white tube socks, while she always struggles with what to wear each day.

Is there a name for what I am now?

Post Edited (05-27-04 19:37)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
JohnL

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2004, 07:10:53 PM »

>Normal isn't really the word i'd use..lol But blonde? Do i really come across as a
>bubblehead?

No, I was picturing the repressed scientist type. The one who's always wearing glasses and acting shy until she takes the glasses off and "blossoms".

>No i'm in the 5 percentile - redhead. With a twist of cherokee and spanish. i
>guess technically that means i can cook you a mean burrito, get raging drunk,
>lose my temper and scalp you.

I think I'm in love! Will you marry me?

I'm even willing to grow a mullet... ;)

Post Edited (05-27-04 19:15)
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Goth vs Freak « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.