Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:31:32 PM
713362 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Favorite Bronson Films « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Your Favorite Bronson Films  (Read 4440 times)
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« on: May 23, 2004, 12:46:23 PM »

I was watching Man on Fire with some friends yesterday and when we got out of the theatre I said "wow, that was like Deathwish but directed by a Catholic!" So during the film I was thinking about how it reminded me of Death Wish (somewhat) and then I was starting to think: "well what other Charles Bronson films do I like?"

and to be honest: I couldn't name too many. But then again there are still a lot of his 70's era, drive-in ones I haven't seen.

what are all of your fav Bronson films?
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 02:27:45 PM »

The Great Escape, The Magnificent Seven, and The Dirty Dozen, are IMO, his best. Granted, these are all ensemble casts, but he does very well in each.

My favorite in which Bronson is the lead; Once Upon A Time In The West, The White Buffalo, Breakheart Pass, and The Mechanic.

My least favorite...10 'Till Midnight, in which Bronson costars with some skinny guy's ass.

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 04:38:02 PM »

Oh the Mechanic was fun. Seemed a little confused with what genre it was trying to fit into, but I had fun with it nevertheless.

was 10 'Till Midnight the 80's flick where he has to catch that serial killer? If so I've seen that one too.
Deej
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 05:15:03 PM »

Chopper wrote:

> was 10 'Till Midnight the 80's flick where he has to catch that
> serial killer? If so I've seen that one too.

Yeah, Chopper. The one where the weird MoFo does nude home invasion slashings. f**kin' awful....and that dude's hind parts get more screen time than Bronson...every other scene...naked dude running somewhere! But, on the bright side, Bronson keeps his trousers ON!!!!

Everyone has potentially fatal flaws, but yours involve a love of soldiers' wives, an insatiable thirst for whiskey, and the seven weak points in your left ventricle.

DJ
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 06:09:48 PM »

Bronson was in a lot of big flicks in the 60's and in the 70's he was the action King. I was sad to see some of the crap he was in  during the 80's and early 90's.  There were like 5 Deathwish sequels, each one cheaper than the last.

He had a pretty good career for a coal miner from Pennsylvania.

I  haven't seen it in years, but one of my favorites is Hard Times. Bronson is a street fighter during the depression and James Coburn is a gambler  who teams with him.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
JohnL

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 06:50:41 PM »

I like the Death Wish movies, especially the first two. I even like the cheesy sequels with one exception; the one where he declares war on the drug dealers. I knew I was going to hate it when someone got killed, his girlfriend said something about kids being  evil and Bronson responds "It's not the kids, it's the damn drugs!"

Also, it seems I'm alone in liking 10 to Midnight.

I'm not really a western fan, so I have really seen any of those.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 07:39:05 AM »

haha, yeah i remember the killer was pretty sniveling and annoying like all stereotypical psychos in 80's movies. and i recall the nude scene not flying too high with me either!
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 07:41:47 AM »

very true Trek. I have noticed he was more of an a-list actor in the 60's & 70's, hell he was even in a film with Steve McQueen. then in the 80's he started acting in some real schlock, some films being more enjoyable than others. but "the Evil that Men Do" really got me the 1st time i saw it as for it's graphic content and cheap exploitiveness.
Dutchman
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 08:43:22 AM »

I really liked the western Red Sun, where Bronson teamed with samurai Toshiro Mifune. White Buffalo & Hard Times are also favorites.
TheEvilDoctor
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004, 09:13:05 AM »

I loved once upon a time in the west, and telephon too. Pretty underrated if you ask me

Muahahahaha
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2004, 10:52:10 AM »

Charles Bronson was at his best when he was part of an ensemble cast (for example, THE GREAT ESCAPE, THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST).

As for his starring roles, my favorite is MR. MAJESTYK (probably because it was written by Elmore Leonard).  I also like:

DEATH WISH

10 TO MIDNIGHT

FROM NOON 'TIL THREE

TELEFON (probably because it was directed by Don Siegel)

THE STONE KILLER (not a very good movie, but I like it for some reason)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2004, 11:00:01 AM »

Have any of you seen Kinjite? It was in a box-set of him I was thinking about buying the other day.
maria paula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2004, 01:29:09 PM »

i dont like bronson films at all, anyway a friend of mine keeps seying to me that he should be honoured as many actors have been, why? because he was  "the real justicer" well, that has an explanation, here in spain the  spanish films distributors have the funny habit of changing the real names of some english films, then most of the bronson translated  films here in spain were called the justicer.......... of something, or justice for.........
anyway, if i have to chose a film with bronson in, this could be "the great escape"

pauli
Yaddo42
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2004, 04:05:08 PM »

Hard Times, obvious choice for me, one of the first 10 DVDs I bought.

From Noon Til Three - a change of pace, a dark romantic "comedy" of sorts. Probably the best work Bronson did with wife Jill Ireland.

The Stone Killer - Not great, but I still like the tone of it. Kind of a police procedural until the climax.

Once Upon A Time In The West - Great film anyway, but puts his style of acting and screen presence (hard stares, little dialogue, grim demeanor) to good use.

Death Hunt - nothing special in the story department, but it's a nice last go around  together for two grizzled action heroes (Bronson and Lee Marvin) before both got too old for real action roles, tastes in action heroes changed, and their movies began to really slide.

The Mechanic - fun with a great twist ending.

I agree about Bronson being great in ensembles like "The Dirty Dozen", and "The Great Escape". One I like that gets overlooked is the Frank Sinatra war movie "Never So Few" with Peter Lawford, Steve McQueen, Philip Ahn, and Dean Jones(!) Bronson has a supporting role as a Native American (?) member of Sinatra's commando team. A decent action flick with lots of Gina Lollobrigida to look at early on.

Chopper, I've seen "Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects" but it's been years. Since the plot involves child prostitution and white slavery I remember finding it a little creepy, although it was fairly tame when I saw it on TV, may have been edited. Actionwise it seemed a little dull, since Bronson was entering his straigh-to-video period.
JohnL

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2004, 10:04:06 PM »

>"the Evil that Men Do" really got me the 1st time i saw it as for it's graphic content
>and cheap exploitiveness.

I forgot about that one. I liked it.

>seen "Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects" but it's been years. Since the plot involves
>child prostitution and white slavery I remember finding it a little creepy, although it
>was fairly tame when I saw it on TV, may have been edited.

I thought it was fairly tame also. The multiple rape of a young girl is implied by the bad guys going into the bedroom where she is, one after another. Not a bad movie, but kind of slow.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Your Favorite Bronson Films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.