Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:04:50 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What Is Your Movie Likeability Threshold? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What Is Your Movie Likeability Threshold?  (Read 2463 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: May 26, 2004, 09:25:32 PM »

First I would like to ask what type of movie viewer are you? What point of view do you see a film from?

A. Average Movie Goer Point of View
B. B-movie fan only Point of View
C. Filmmaker Point of View
D. A One Genre Movie Goer Point of View
E. Multiple Genre Fan Point of View

Second,  based on the chosen type of viewer you are what would be your chances of liking a film or finding value in a film after seeing it?

For Example:

I like to watch a film from a filmmakers point of view and as a multi-genre fan point of view. So on average I would like or find value in 85% of the films I watch.

Post Edited (05-26-04 21:27)

Mr. Hockstatter
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 10:15:49 PM »

It really depends on the film.  Many movies are so poorly done that I can see what they were trying to do, and it's obvious how they failed in their attempt.  I guess that's the moviemaker's point of view.  Other movies that are really good make all that stuff transparent, so I feel like an average movie fan.  If a movie is in a certain genre, I watch it as a fan of that genre - if it betrays the rules of the genre, I tend not to like it.  If a movie is obviously low budget, but does a great job with what it's got, then I'm perfectly happy as a B movie fan.

MeAndMyMeatCleaver
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 12:58:51 AM »

I ilke everything and will view anything as long as it looks intersting.

Obviously, from the site we're at and the other boards I frequent, www.fangoria.com and www.matineesofmadness.com; I love horror and bad cinema, especially the two together.

I'd say my likablility threashold is higher than the average watcher.   If the love for the film is felt in even the worst outcomes, it really helps.  If a good effort is appparentt, i can enjoy it.

<<Insert great, oversaid Evil Dead2/DeadAlive quote here>>
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 02:46:09 AM »

I'm mainly a multi-genre kinda guy, with a little bit of filmmaker thrown in.  The filmmaker part actually detracts from the movie sometimes.  With that extra bit of smarminess, I'm more likely to think "Sweet disco dancin' Jesus, I could have done that better were I suffering from brain damage."

Brother R

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Dutchman
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 08:14:14 AM »

C & E for me, too. I find entertainment in alot of movies my friends consider complete garbage.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 08:49:44 AM »

For myself, pretty much a combination and/or any one of these categories. It just depend on what mood i'm in. The other night a friend and I watched Beyond Re-animator, we were in the mood for a fun mindless movie, and we loved it! We couldn't stop laughing our asses off. Then last night I watched a real serious indie film, Dopamine, and I loved it for it's fine artisitc points, great acting, screenplay, philosophy, it had everything that makes a real indie film going for it. So it just depends on what mood I'm in at the moment.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 05:40:31 PM »

I'm not sure which category I fit into.  However, I will say that I watch all movies with an open mind, and I never walk out of a movie in the theater or turn off a DVD before the movie is over no matter how bad it is.

I do watch all movies as a filmmaker (which probably takes some of the fun out of it).  I am constantly aware that I am watching actors, and that there is a film crew standing a few feet away, and I keep an eye on lighting, editing, camera movements, etc.  So I never really get "lost" in the story because I'm always trying to figure out how and why the filmmmakers did certain things.  Because of this, I find value in most films.  I even find value in crappy movies because I learn lessons about how NOT to shoot a scene, how NOT to write dialogue, etc.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 05:48:44 PM »

B, C, and E.  I like plot more than effects most of the time, and if I don't give a damn about the characters you 've lost me.  I do like to watch things in frame of mind  "How'd they do that?".

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 09:16:27 PM »

Your post above show signs that we are all people who appreciate film. Good to hear responces that I also agree with.

One of the things I like when watching a film is saying during a film "what was that?" after some bizarre scene or dialogue on the screen. That would be the fan in me.

On the other side of the film coin I once took a video production class at a community college and we went through all aspects of basic film production as well as critiquing other film like Casablanca, The Graduate, Manhatten, and The Third Man as they were on the big screen. I became interested in B-Movies after seeing the film ED WOOD and reading a Roger Corman Biography about filmmaking shortly afterwards.

dean
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 11:24:19 PM »

I can watch any type of movie, from Romantic Comedy to the worst trash imaginable [but then again the line from Romantic Comedy to worst trash ever isn't that long!]

I might find a movie stupid, but I'll enjoy it nonetheless; there's always a redeeming feature, no matter how bad.

Yes I also study the cinema, and enjoy filmmaking [though i don't do enough] and it does comes out  often when watching a movie.
jmc
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 03:08:58 PM »

Probably B, D, and E, depending on the film.  I think I can usually enjoy a film on its own level based on how well it succeeds at what it's trying to do, which is where the one-genre/B-move fan thing comes in---for example, I'm not going to jump all over SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE for historical inaccuracy because the movie is basically a whimsical fantasy--it would be like attacking LORD OF THE RINGS because it has a bunch of beings in it that don't really exist.  I don't worry too much about scientific inaccuracy in science fiction, depending on the tone of the movie and on how things are done--if something is so implausible that it takes me out of the movie while I'm watching it, that's a problem.  

There are some genres I don't like at all, and can't appreciate them on any level, and can't really judge them objectively because I have no interest in anything that's happening.  Merchant-Ivory films, romantic comedies, etc...

Bottom line is basically, if the movie entertains me on any level at all, I can enjoy it.
Sadly, it seems like fewer and fewer of today's movies can do this.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  What Is Your Movie Likeability Threshold? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.