Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:57:10 PM
713373 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best surprise in a rental you expected crap from « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Best surprise in a rental you expected crap from  (Read 3680 times)
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 04:17:35 PM »

A friend of mine recently leant me a movie called the Cooler. I had very low expectations of it. The cover looked cheesy and it had Alec Baldwin it. Even though Baldwin played his typical type-cast character of a smooth-talking, sleazy, bad guy, the film was actually a very fresh surprise.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 04:22:09 PM »

A friend lent me CARNIVAL OF SOULS and it has since come to be one of my favorite 60s horrors.  I had very low expectations when I first popped it into the VCR.
mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2004, 12:29:43 PM »

EVIL ED is fun. it pays homage to so many other horror flicks. just don't get the DVD, it's severly edited. Get the VHS.

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

mr. henry
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2004, 01:07:34 PM »

yeah, the cooler was good. i like bill macy. he should have let his son fry though...

check out HARD EIGHT by P.T. Anderson. it's a cool vegas/revenge flick.

"to be is to do" - Socrates
"to do is to be" - Jean-Paul Sartre
"do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra
- kurt vonnegut

spncrdstractn
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2004, 06:20:16 PM »

i rented a phreakin' oddbird of a film a few years ago from a blockbuster in Austin, TX. it was called either "Dead Water" or "Dead Waters", and it was amazing.
I have since moved and have never been able to find it anywhere else....
Plus, every time I mention it to anyone, noone knows what the hell i'm talking about! an art restorer on an island owned by a convent with nuns and the devil in the walls and an ocean shore covered in dead fish with a woman crawling across, taking a bite out of one along the way. like i said, very bizarre.
Also genuinely creepy was "funny games", a German film about a family being tortured by creepos who wink at the camera.
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2004, 01:41:26 AM »

Microwave Massacre or Psychos In Love.  Both rock the proverbial house.

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
maria paula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2004, 12:57:41 PM »

evan3 wrote:
"I know I will get a lot of crap for this, but I really enjoyed Resident Evil after my ex girlfriend had picked it up"
well, i really thought it was oing to be a big crap, moreover, i payed 6 euros, and thats a bit more than 6 dollars to watch this movie at cinema, i was convinced that i would be really bad, but oh,....  big surprise, i found it very enjoyable, i had so much fun that now i cant wait for the second part, and this time i know it will be a big crap, or maybe i will have another surprise?.
this could be another post:
" worse surprise in a rental u expected good from"
yes this weekend i had a big disapointment, "storytelling", i really thought i would love this film as much as i did with "happiness" , and no, i was completely wrong, now im feeling bad because i spent some money renting this little "swindle"

pauli
Kory
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2004, 03:31:09 AM »

2 recent ones that pleasantly surprised me:

The Bourne Identity
and
Stuck on You
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2004, 11:11:44 AM »

Do not despair. I know what you are talking about. Indeed, both films are mentiioned in a book, as are some of the films reviewed at this site. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of it or the author, but, let me go back and check my personal library, as I purchased a copy of the book and put it in my personal library.

BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2004, 02:50:27 PM »

The first movie is the Spanish "The Day of the Beast " from 1995.  The second movie is the Austrian/German "Funny Games" from 1997. And both movies are featured in "Fangoria's 101 Best Horror Movies You've Never Seen" by Adam Lukeman and Fangoria Magazine.. Indeed, there are a number of movies--"Cemetery Man," "Humanoids from the Deep," "Lair of the White Worm," "Motel Hell," "Ticks," and "Deep Rising," that are featured both at this site and in the book. And like this site has gotten me to see a number of films that I might not have seen, so has the book gotten me to see a number of films that I might not have seen,, such as "Session 9" w/ David Caruso. The author use to have a web site with a link back to this site, but, I can no longer find his site, so it may no longer be available.

Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2004, 07:40:21 PM »

Heck, I'm not much into horror but I've seen Deep Rising and Humanoids From The Deep and seen parts of Lair... this are not  that unkown

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best surprise in a rental you expected crap from « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.