Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:47:35 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Off To the Movies By Yourself « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Off To the Movies By Yourself  (Read 7678 times)
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2004, 09:17:20 AM »

I've never had a problem seeing movies by myself in the theater. This may point out my teen years as a loner, but I typically wanted to see movies that my friends didn't want to.

I never felt awkward in the least - and I never cared much about what other people thought of me sitting by myself. I only cared about what the silver screen had to show me.

Going solo means you don't have to:
-answer questions during the movie
-share your snack items
-explain what happens when your companion has to go to the bathroom halfway thru the movie
-spend an additional $8.50
-quibble over where to sit in the theater (near the speakers, away from the stoned teenagers, etc...)

I've never gotten the reaction from coworkers that it's "wierd" to see a movie by oneself - most of them do it too.

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2004, 10:00:30 AM »

Personally, I prefer going with a friend, not because I give a damn about what anyone thinks of me, but because I enjoy having someone to share my reactions with. If it's a bad movie, it's fun to start up a quiet commentary, and if it's a good movie, it's nice to have someone to discuss it with afterwards. Still, I don't have a problem with going alone, and have done so many times. The most interesting time for me was a midnight screening of Blood Feast; It was extremely sparsely attended (the same theater was also screening Wet Hot American Summer, which drew the majority of the midnight crowd), and, apart from one couple and one group of three, every single person (myself included) was there alone. Somehow, this added to the experience; it felt like I was at an actual grindhouse! (Afterwards, I had to walk alone all the way across Boston back to my dorm at 2am, which was fairly interesting as well).

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
BeyondTheGrave
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2004, 03:44:11 PM »

most of the time i see movies by myself. not because i dont have friends but i like seeing movies at thier premiers and my friend either see them weeks later or never or dont have money. i do get werid looks but i dont care i want to see a movie not  eat  your children.

"I know I know ive been exposed permeant psychoses..
at least the colors are nice"- Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Yaddo42
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2004, 07:58:43 PM »

I usually go alone for the usual reasons:

I want to see stuff others don't, no one I kew had the least bit of interest in seeing "Confessions of a Dangerous MInd" or the remake.of "Solaris" but me. I have no intereset in seeing "Day After Tomorrow" between my loathing of disaster films and hatred for all things made by Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin (who I think wasn't part of this film). They've gotten my money too many times before and given me garbage in return, no more.

I hate answering questions (I also have my 20 minute rule: no one asks questions especially "Why'd they do that?" for the first 20 minutes. This gives the director time to set up the story and often the question will be answered by the film if the person will just wait a little longer anyway).

I work nights and tend to go to matinees when friends are working, or late shows on my nights off when friends are winding down their day, getting ready for bed and such.

I settle on what film I want to see ahead of time, but make up my mind to go at the last minute.

I like to sit about four or five rows from the front so the screen fills my line of sight, nost of my friends don't.  Also people at half empty late shows tend to not sit so close to the front (YMMV), so I'm less likely to have people sitting near me talking or whatever.
Jeany
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2004, 10:53:45 PM »

I'm not sure that I've ever been to a theatre alone, but if I had a car I know I would go again and again.  I forget who said it, but they were right about seing dvds n tv alone all the time. I just couldn't watch x-files with someone else.
Now eating at a restaaurant alone? I don't think I'd enjoy that. Meal time has always been a time of talking in my life and in the life of those around me. Which I find ironic as you're constantly ingesting material. But perhaps that's why there aren't many who eat at a restaurant alone.
Mofo Rising- there are actually observant ppl out there. Others just don't  notice them as much because they can't look others in the eye or they think they're scary cause they're silent and watching you.  I look at everyone around me, everywhere. You'd be amazed at what you can see and learn.
Derf
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2004, 10:20:13 AM »

I often went to movies alone when I was in grad school; I didn't know anyone with similar tastes in movies, so I just went by myself. Heck, once I literally saw a movie by myself: It was a matinee, and I was the only one in the theater. Unfortunately, the movie was boring, so I entertained myself fantasizing about dancing on the little stage in front of the screen (I was too inhibited then; I might actually do something like that now) and going through a stewardess-like presentation of pointing out all the exits in the theater (planning my escape route). I did learn from that experience that, at least in that theater, the projectionist WILL start the movie even if no one is there (I showed up a couple of minutes late and the previews had already started).

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2004, 07:39:03 PM »

I have no problem going to the movies alone.  Why do you need someone sitting beside you?  I am there to watch the movie . . . I can socialize afterward.  Of course, I also enjoy going to the movies with my wife or with friends, but it isn't a necessity.  There have been many movies that my wife didn't want to see, so I went alone while she went shopping or something.

I have been a proud "solo" film attendee since I was about 12 years old.  If no one else wants to see what I want to see, I think it is foolish to deprive myself of the movie-going experience.  In fact, I prefer to go alone rather than go with someone who likes to talk throughout the movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Susan
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2004, 08:16:12 PM »

I went to see Riddick tonite, alone, and I have to ask. The majority of attendee's were male "buddies". They'd walk in together, find an aisle and sit down, with a chair inbetween them. The entire theater was filled with buffer zones. What's the point of even taking someone if you aren't going to sit by them? Just go alone!

Eirik
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2004, 08:30:02 PM »

Back before I had kids I did sometimes.  Usually during the day when I was off work for whatever reason and there was a movie I wanted to see but nobody else could go or was interested.   Now I can't imagine having the time.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2004, 10:35:40 AM »

The entire theater was filled with buffer zones

Ah..apparently you've never seen a handful of men at the urinals in a men's room

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
I luv dolma
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2004, 01:48:29 PM »

I went to Passion of the Christ by myself, cause I knew I was going to cry during the film, and I didn't  want anyone that I knew to see me cry.

I also saw Spotless Mind by myself, cause I didn't know anyone that would want to see a film like that. People today only want to see action film that require no thinking of any kind. Sad really.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2004, 03:46:46 PM »

I go to the movies by myself all the time.  If it's a choice between that or not seeing it, I'll go myself in a second.

My wife and I go together when it's a movie she will enjoy.  If it's one only I will like I usually go by myself.  I usually go to a late show after we've already got the kids to bed and she can just crash on the couch.
Carla
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2004, 03:48:48 PM »

I can't say i like much going to the movies by myself, but a time came when i got fed up on having to wait (or beg) to friends to go with me. And the trade is always "next time we'll see something you like". So lately i've started going alone and it's not that bad (i even went to a goth concert alone and yeah, i'm still alive :-)  It's bad when your friends don't like the same things you do but you shouldn't have to "suffer" for it. Of course alone i mainly go to matines and stuff but i find that it's not that bad, and hell, i'm there to see the film after all so, why not?
And yes, lots of people go alone also, i've been noticing that.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2004, 08:41:29 PM »

hehe, allow me to introduce you to the concept of the "straight seat." yes, we are the most homophobic society in the world.
Susan
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2004, 07:16:09 AM »

Yeah, clearly two men sitting next to eachother implies they're gay. Where do you guys come up with this stuff? lol
It's one thing if you're at a chick flick....

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Off To the Movies By Yourself « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.