Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:33:33 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Do You Eat the Gristle? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: OT: Do You Eat the Gristle?  (Read 10526 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: June 24, 2004, 02:48:16 AM »

I fired up the grill yesterday to cook up a steak.  
I fired up the oven also and dumped a load of Ore-Ida "Texas Crispers"  (http://www.oreida.com/varieties/) onto a flat baking sheet to go along with my steak.
Both the steak & crispers go good together especially if they're dipped in A-1 steak sauce.
"Yeah, it's that important."
 (http://www.a1sauce.com)

MMM..MMM...Good!

My buddy watched me grill the steak  
He just stood there smoking a cigarette and watching me.
He'd already eaten and wasn't hungry so I didn't feel guilty about cooking and then eating such a manly man's meal in front of him.

When it was done cooking, (I like my steak rare to medium rare...a little blood doesn't hurt) he noticed me eating the gristle that ran alongside the steak and he thought it was the most disgusting thing he'd seen in quite awhile.

I said to him, "You're crazy!  The gristle mixed with portions of meat and sauce is one of the best parts of the steak!...especially if you throw some crispers in with it!"

He just cringed.

Do any of you also love to eat the gristle?
Do you find it as delicious as I do?

Post Edited (06-24-04 03:10)
George
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 06:37:33 AM »

A coupel of points.

1.  The "gristle" is where the flavor comes from so you are right, to a point.  It is also the source of the most dangerous part of the steak.  Consider that this particular part is pure fat and conective tissue.......yum.

2.  If your steak needs sauce, you are eating meat that is too cheap.  Buy a better cut of meat and don't use the sauce, just salt.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 10:42:58 AM »

p**s no! I hate gristle! I'm just chewing my sausage or hamburger ,minding my own business, when my teeth clamp down on something weird and chewy. I quickly have to sacrivivce a whole mouthful of food to get rid of this gristle. Plus as George said it's pure fat. So NO I do not eat that evil thing!

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Fearless Freep

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 11:59:08 AM »

He just stood there smoking a cigarette and watching me.

he noticed me eating...he thought it was the most disgusting thing he'd seen in quite awhile.

No comment

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
raj

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 12:19:29 PM »

Nope.
It doesn't taste good to me.
Acidburn
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 02:24:25 PM »

A good steak is measured my a means called marbleing, which measures the amount of fat that is found throught the meat.  So, if you EVER eat meat you are eating gristle it is just not as thick as the outside part.  The fat that is throught out meat is what holds the juices untill the cooking process.   And you are correct George, if you have a high grade cut of meat and it is cooked correctly, there is no need for sauce.
JohnL

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 07:03:38 PM »

I'm confused; I always thought of "fat" as that chewy, squishy white stuff that gets crispy when cooked through, and "gristle" as those bits that have the consistency of a piece of hard rubber, like the knuckle on the end of a chicken leg.

For myself, I don't eat either. *IF* the fat is cooked through so that it's crispy and not chewy, then I'll sometimes eat a small amount of it, but not when it's rubbery. The other, hard stuff, like the knuckle, I have never even attempted to eat.

One memory that always makes me gag is of when my mother would make "cube" steak, which basically is like a piece of hamburger, only not as tender. I'd put a piece of it in my mouth and in the process of chewing it for the next 15 minutes or so (minimum amount of time required to get it to a state where you can actually attempt to swallow it), I'd be moving it around my mouth and EVERY SINGLE TIME, I'd end up with a piece of fat stretched over my tongue from side to side. BLECH!!!
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 12:07:04 AM »

It depends on how well I've cooked the steak.  If the fat running along the outside, which I assume is what you mean by "gristle", is nice and tender, than I will eat it along with the rest of the steak.  But if I've screwed it up and the fat is all tough and chewy I don't usually eat it.  I never eat the connective tissue, tendons and the like.

Fat is delicious.

Of course, I also eat salmon skin and have been known to enjoy the skin of ham hocks when cut up in a pot of beans, so take that how you will.

I also agree that a good steak needs no sauce.  However a good sauce does often require a steak.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
George
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 07:24:13 AM »

JohnL is right on about the cubed steak.  I had alot of it as a child because, of course, it was inexpensive.  I still enjoy it once in a while but I prepare it by flouring, pan browning and then baking for a long time.  This really tenderizes it and makes it quite paletable.
Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 02:39:14 AM »

MMMmm..Gristle.
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2004, 03:42:30 PM »

Yes, once upon a time, when I was younger. I liked the way the gristle gave my teeth and gums a workout, until it was soft enough, so I could swallow it. Now . . . that I am older, and my teeth are not what they use to be, and i can't chew gristle anymore, so I have to cut it off my meat and throw it away.
dean
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2004, 09:25:16 AM »

Gristle is sometimes good, but most times bad.  Nothing else I can really say about it...

I guess we can all 'chew the fat' with ash any day...

Sorry everyone who read that really bad joke, but that's my mood today: really bad jokes.

Ever here the one about the chicken that crossed the road?
Susan
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2004, 07:13:42 PM »

gristley adams!

TadpoleBuckshot
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 12:10:59 AM »

Gristle is nasty.. feels like chewing on a malignant tumor or something. ugh
Flangepart

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2004, 11:32:13 AM »

Does eating the cruckhy part of a chicken leg bone count?
You know, where the knee joint bends?
Yummmmmm.....

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Do You Eat the Gristle? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.