Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:32:54 AM
714255 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Fans of bad movies . . . am I stereotyping us or is this true? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Fans of bad movies . . . am I stereotyping us or is this true?  (Read 7667 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 25, 2004, 12:25:21 PM »

It seems to me that most bad movie fans also enjoy the following:

* Comic books (I don't really like the current ones, but I still read the ones from the 1960s and 70s)

* Dungeons and Dragons or other role-playing games (I don't play anymore, but I used to play D&D and Top Secret back in the 1980s)

* Heavy Metal or Punk Rock

Do you find this to be true or am I stereotyping bad movie fans?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 12:32:48 PM »

Comic Books - Guilty.  I haven't read any of the new comics but still go through my large collection that I still have from my childhood.  I still occasionally buy a manga like Battle Royale which I guess could count as a comic.

D&D - Never really got into D&D.  I'm not much of a RPG video game fan either.  

Heavy Metal AND Punk Rock - Definently guilty on both of these.  I can serioulsy rock with some hardcore metal or punk or even just chill with some mellow Ska.  

So Burgo, I guess you wouldn't be stereotyping.  I fit two of the three catagories.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
StatCat
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 12:34:03 PM »

Well no idea here, but I'll speak for myself

* Comic books (I don't really like the current ones, but I still read the ones from the 1960s and 70s)

Some of them, not really super hero stuff though.

* Dungeons and Dragons or other role-playing games (I don't play anymore, but I used to play D&D and Top Secret back in the 1980s)

No way

Heavy Metal- No way (80s metal is funny though)

Punk Rock- yes but only some things, I'm more into 60's garage rock

-----------------------------------------------------
Wear a suit and tie when I'd rather sit and die
daveblackeye15

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 12:43:30 PM »

Comic Books. Yep. I read some new ones but I like old ones also. I also read TONS of japanese comic books. Not  too many from the 70's but a lot from 80's ( Fist of the North Star, Guyver,Dragon Ball Z) and a lot from the 90's and up.

RPG/Dungeons and Dragons like games. I like reading about them (Big Knights of the Dinner Table fan here) and I like fantasying about playing them but sadly I don't play them. I'd love to but it takes a lot of time to play and I have hectic often changing schedule.

Punk Music/ Heavy Metal. I don't have a particular favorite music style. I think I like ALL styeles I just don't like ALL music. I like some Punk and I like Heavy Metal but I don't listen to a lot of both. I also like classical music, country, and rock and roll.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Fearless Freep

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 12:48:30 PM »

* Comic books

Not really.  I've picked up a few Manga of some Anime I like recently, and used to read the Star War comics as a kid

* Dungeons and Dragons or other role-playing games

I did a bit growing up but don't anymore

Punk- No.  Metal - Some 80s hair band stuff is ok for nostalgia but I'm more into progressive,art rock these days and jazz and fusion

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
odinn7

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 12:55:27 PM »

Comic books for sure.
D&D AND Top Secret when I was younger. Burgo, I don't know many people that have played Top Secret but I used to love that game.
Metal and Punk, you betcha.

I guess I'm a stereotype.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
pepak
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 01:00:06 PM »

One half out of three isn't bad, is it? (I am only interested in AD&D, and that only theoretically :-))
maria paula
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 01:20:25 PM »

comics?? im a big fan of "Peter Bagge" i love every comic he does, besides that, im not really interested about comics, only if they  have lots of political uncorrectness, if i read a comic i want it to make me spend a fun time, i want it to be sarcastic, some little of black humor, and hironic.
rol-playing games i have never tried to play, but i have seen some friends of mine playing it  and i found them pretty boring, anyway, someday i will try it.  Im a magalomaniac i love all kinds of music, so yes, heavy metal its ok to me.

pauli
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 01:37:33 PM »

I have read a lot of comic books , when I was a kid it was mostly Marvel , some DC. (of  course when I was kid Nick Fury was still Sgt. Fury) I have read some modern ones.  I like the graphic novels like The Dark Knight  Returns.

I've never cared for RPGs, even on the computer if it's not shooting or blowing something up it won't keep my attention . Wonderful for stress relief.

I guess you would call what I like hard rock, mostly 70's some 80's stuff.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Derf
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 01:38:53 PM »

Sorry; I don't really fit any of those stereotypical areas. I admire the talent of comic book artists, but haven't read any in ages. I played a variant on D&D, but only did so because it was fun to stay up all night and watch otherwise serious-minded friends get giddy from lack of sleep; the game itself was always secondary. I like a few heavy metal (Aerosmith and a few others) and punk bands (Ramones, Dead Milkmen), but my favorite type of music is probably WWII jazz (Bing Crosby, Andrews Sisters, etc.). I like a little of every style of music (with the possible exception of rap, which is not so much music as it is chanting to a backbeat).

If most others SHOULD happen to fit your stereotype, I guess it wouldn't be the first time nor the last that I don't fit in with a group. I'll try to schedule some time to cry over that later. . .  ;P

Acidburn
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 03:44:40 PM »

Comics -   yep
D&D -  I am addicted to a mud that I paly online that is based on dnd.  I also read many  many  many fantasy books.   By the way check out  WWW.forgottenkingdoms.com   that is the mud I play .  It is based on the world of the forgotten realms.
Punk and Rock -  BIG TIME :)
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 05:40:30 PM »

comics- still read them mostly marvel some DC and some of the lesser know titles like gotham central, losers, 100 bullet ,queen and country.

dont like D&D but video game RPG games are my thing even though i cant play as much now a days. i play FPS and horror/action games as well.

punk and metal and rock and roll are my thing mostly from the 70s to now.

Burgo  iam the basic stereotype.

I know I know ive been exposed permeant psychoses..
at least the colors are nice"- Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

raj

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 05:48:00 PM »

Comic books -- never got into then, unless you count Mad, which I was seriously into in the 70s.
D&D.  played some in college & later in law school (when we'd always argue about the rules)  More into wargames.
Heavy Metal, no; Punk, hell yes.  It used to be about half my record collection, now down to about a third (just counting the vinyl).
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2004, 08:32:37 PM »

Comic books:  not so much anymore; I read mostly nonfiction (history) and historical fiction.  Does "Heavy Metal" count as a comic book, or Nat'l Lampoon?  Haven't looked at either in a while, but would go out of my way to.  When I was a kid, the comic books I enjoyed were horror/sci fi related, and stuff like Twilight Zone.  Of course, Cracked was a favorite, too.

D&D, or RPG.  No, never.  Just never got into them.  As for computer games now, I like FPS and simulators.

Music:  I have been into metal most of my life, bands like Iron Maiden, Ozzy/Black Sabbath, etc.  Even Black Flag, but not so much 'speed metal.'  Do, however, like older Metallica and Megadeath, too.  Now, I like Three Doors Down, Godsmack, others.  Also listen to Bluegrass, Irish Folk music, and classical.  I suppose I do fit the stereotype somewhat, as metal/alternative rock is probably want I seek out on the radio (when not listening to "Talk").

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Susan
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2004, 09:04:59 PM »

Sounds like me in my youth. I used to love comics, I used to love metal, and tho I never got into D&D i played Magic obsessively. Of course i know some people who fall into this category and the movies they own on dvd are probably in the adam sandler category.

We had alot of pirated vhs tapes growing up. most were cheech and chong, love at first bite, cheesy films. The only kid movies we had that i can recall were 101 dalmations and pete's dragon. pete was freaky...

But maybe it was my early exposure to bad films, and just a wide array of films in general. my friends never heard of the stuff i'd seen, maybe all their parents allowed them to watch was kid stuff.

Post Edited (06-25-04 21:09)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Fans of bad movies . . . am I stereotyping us or is this true? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.