Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:19:23 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Fans of bad movies . . . am I stereotyping us or is this true? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Fans of bad movies . . . am I stereotyping us or is this true?  (Read 7614 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2004, 11:13:09 PM »

I have a small stack of old comics from the 70's and 80's that aren't worth a whole heckuva lot now but they will be eventually.
They're all in mint or near mint condition and are kept in a good quality storage box.
Many are #1's
I plan to keep them and then sell them for a small fortune when I'm an old man.

I could never get into D&D but like Susan, I played the hell out of Magic: The Gathering.
I still have over 2000 cards (I counted em several years ago and I had 2,080 something cards...90% of which I never used...I have so many duplicates it isn't funny) and play occasionally with my few remaining buddies who are also still into the game.
Damn has it become complex in the last few years!

As for music...if it isn't metal then forget it.

Post Edited (06-26-04 00:47)
JohnL

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2004, 12:31:58 AM »

I used to read comics, but not superhero ones. I always disliked the way it was a continuing story and if you didn't buy every issue, you'd miss something. I mostly read horror comics (not the large ones, just regular sized one) like Twilight Zone, The Witching Hour etc.

I never really got into RPG's. I like games where the outcome is decided by your skill, not by a random roll of the dice. I like the idea of them, but not the execution. I was more interested in playing video games and text adventures.

I'm not really that much into music.
Susan
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2004, 09:42:25 AM »

Text adventures! In the early days of the computer and commodore my brother had some adventure game that was nothing but text. It was so annoying to try and figure out the command to proceed.

I also used to love those "choose your own adventure" books. they don't make them anymore, i suppose because they don't want kids today to explore their imagination.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2004, 09:47:40 AM »

Imagination? OW! MY brain! It hurts! I guess they thought imagination was a deadly thing.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
BoyScoutKevin
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2004, 01:43:03 PM »

Comic books - Gulity. Once upon a time. I not only use to read them, I also use to collect them. But, I haven't read any in the longest time.

D&D - Again guilty. Once upon a time. I use to like to play them, especially the solo adventures, but, I haven't played any in the longest time.

Heavy metal and punk rock - Not guilty. While I enjoy a number of different types of music, I think my two favorite types would have to be classical and folk.

Vermin Boy
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2004, 02:23:07 PM »

Comic Books: I was heavily into comic books when I was 10 and 11, then I kinda lost interest. However, over the past few months, I've been on something of an underground comics kick (R. Crumb, Evan Dorkin, etc.), and I've been regaining my interest in the old comics, if for nothing else than the sheer psychotronicness of it all. So I guess half a point.

RPGs: Not really. I went through a brief Magic phase when I was younger, but I don't think I ever actually played a game.

Punk: I suppose I'm guilty on this one. Over the past couple of years, punk has become an increasingly steady portion of my musical diet. What's more, I think in my case it can directly be related to my b-movie habit: I first got interested in it in high school when I realized that the punks were the only kids who shared my taste in movies, and it seems like my listening to it can be directly linked to my increase in watching more grungy, Something Weird-type movies.

-Vermin Boy

My site: The Vermin Cave
My band: The Demons of Stupidity
?????: ?????
Yaddo42
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2004, 11:44:50 PM »

Comics: read and collected for years but tappered off and quit them in the early 90s when Marvel started those massive crossover storylines and twice a month issues during the summer. Got expensive, and the plots were stretched too thin when you had to start buying issues of comics you didn't like in order to find out what happens. I was mostly a fan of the X-Men titles but even those got repetative over time and they kept spinning off characters I liked into other titles that didn't hold up (e.g.,Excalibur) . Bringing back Jean Grey was kind of the tipping point for me, but spliting the X-Men into two seperate main titles ("X-Men" and "Uncanny X-Men"). The only title I've read recently was both series of "League of Extrordinary Gentlemen", both great but not enough to lure me back a regular reader. I have started to buy some manga within the past year, but only recently decided to try titles not connected to anime series I was already a fan of.

RPG: I tried to get into them a few times, but never found them fun. The senarios that my friend at the local comic/anime/RPG/cards store would talk about sounded interesting when he would tell me about the campaigns he would plan for his gaming group, but I figured out from watching them play I'd rather try writing stories based on the situations, or coming up with my own rather than going through the paces of playing the game. About as close as I got to video RPGs was playing FFVII on the Playstation, and trying games like Xenogears (which I didn't like).

Punk Rock: Not really, I'm a mild fan of Iggy Pop and a few Clash or Sex Pistols songs, but don't care for the genre overall. "Pop-punk" like Blink 182, Offspring (do people still consider them even punk-lite?),  and Green Day bores me, and the more underground/indie stuff I can't get into since my musical tastes seem to conflict  with punk's  musical ethic emphasizing emotion/intensity over musical ability.

Heavy Metal/Hard Rock: Again, when I was younger, yes. Mostly Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, solo Ozzy, Motorhead, AC/DC and early on Def Leppard (but I got over them after I saw them in concert in 9th grade). Speed metal, death metal, etc. kind of lost me since I also like some grunge, classic rock, and progressive stuff. I still like a few of the old metal acts I used to listen to, but my tastes are all over the place these days. Old country music (which I grew up with), alt.country (Wilco, Ryan Adams, Slobberbone), Jazz (mostly Miles Davis and Count Basie), rock singer/songwriters (like Chris Whitley or Ben Folds), and lots of odds and ends: Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Frank Zappa, Beck, Os Mutantes, Russian Orthodox choral music, the Saw Doctors, and old psychedelic bands.
dean
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2004, 10:16:23 AM »

I think Bad movie fans are particularly people who favour alternative lifestyles: not the 'I love the world hippy-kinda alternative' but just people who are slightly more different than 'normal' everyday people.  

My girlfriend constantly gets annoyed at me because of my different way of doing things: my sense of humour particularly, and i attribute that to my love of all things different and unusual, including B-movies.

Also less serious film buffs tend to enjoy them as well, I think.

Oh and in answer to the questions:

I used really like comics when I was younger

I never cared for D&D, but did go through a phase for a couple of years of Magic the gathering.  I also like the Final Fantasy games, but not some other RPGs.

And I like some punk, a little Heavy metal, but my main musical choice is more electronica/ breakbeat/ symphony type stuff. I do like all kinds of music, so I guess i'd include it.
ED
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2004, 05:39:35 PM »

Hmmm,
Comics- I read the Star Wars as a kid, and like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen books now, but overall, I have not bought a comic since age 8.  I like the stories and imagination involved, but I don't want to spend money on 10 minutes of reading in a little packet.    I AM tempted to get the full graphic novel versions of many series.
D&D- Tried it as a teen, but it didn't take. I discovered "Fallout" in Grad School, and every other RPG is just Elfy-Dwarfy nonsense in comparison, to my mind.  
Punk and Heavy Metal- not my primary music choices, though some examples creep into my listening.  I like semi-goth like Sisters of Mercy, and semi-Punk like New Model Army (not VERY punk).  And I like some techno ambient, but not a collector at all.
Right now dreary music is my thing.  
I'll give myself a 66% on the stereotype scale.  
-Ed
JohnL

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2004, 09:01:27 PM »

>Text adventures! In the early days of the computer and commodore my brother
>had some adventure game that was nothing but text. It was so annoying to try
>and figure out the command to proceed.

Yes, they could be annoying at times, especially when the game won't let you do the most logical action;

>LOOK
You're standing outside a rickety old shack that looks like it's going to fall down at any minute.
>OPEN DOOR
It's locked.
>BREAK DOOR
You can't do that.
>KICK DOOR
You can't do that.
>INVENTORY
You are carrying gum, loose change, a six-foot double-bladed battle axe.
>USE AXE ON DOOR
You can't do that.
Ted
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2004, 06:15:42 AM »

Man, I fit that stereotype hit me on the head........Havnt played D&D for years, but I have played........
Grew up with all the big comics, especially Classics Illustrated
 Im an old fart so, I was into Heavy Metal before they called it that
 Dint realize I was so predictable
AlexB
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2004, 08:41:13 AM »

Comics: Yes, definitely. Very few US ones, though. In fact, is there anyone on this board who doesn't like comics at all?
D&D: Not in the least! I am into historical wargaming. I tried Warhammer 40.000 once, but the flights of fantasy are just too great.
Punk & Metal: Again no. I'm more into jazz/soul/funk.
I luv dolma
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2004, 10:31:56 AM »

* I only own two comic books. (and I think I've lost them) They were two issues of Cadallacs and Dinosaurs

* Never had anything to do with D&D. The movie was awful, by the way.

* Yeah, I like Heavy Metal. But I like Rock and Alternative even more.
Neon Noodle
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2004, 09:40:54 PM »

I used to love those choose your own adventure books!
They probably realized that since 80% of the wrong turns usually were painful deaths, it wasn't really good for young kids to read. I remember being trampled to death, drowning in a mud bog, being shot in multiple books, and getting a knife in my chest and/or back.

Comics, definitely guilty. I have a Daredevil #2 which I plan to sell and pay my daughter's way thru graduate school.

D&D? I trid to get into this but it really didn't work for me. Maybe because the kids I was invited to play with were the ones who had the mittens sewn to their sleeves, I don't know...

Metal? I can slam to it, but I also can listen to 80's wuss rock all day long.

Post Edited (06-29-04 21:42)

In the night, the skull came to his dreams and said, 'You are a fool to rejoice in the entanglements of life.'
Chuang Tzu couldn`t believe this and asked, 'If I could return you to your life, you would want that, wouldn`t you?'
Stunned by Chuang Tzu`s foolishness, the skull replied, 'How do you know that it is bad to be dead?'

-From The Matrix: The Path of Neo
jackflack
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2004, 10:14:47 PM »

Ehh... no...

* Comic books (I don't really like the current ones, but I still read the ones from the 1960s and 70s)

-  Not really...  Seeing as how I wasn't alive during the 60's/70's, I've never really read comic books from that era.  Only ones I ever really read were from the mid 90's (think super-retarded Spiderman clone saga, Age of Apocalypse, first few issues of Gen 13).  I basically read what I could get away with reading in the grocery or drug store for free (heh, back when they actually had comic books there!.  I only purchased on certain occasions.  Wow... those were the good ol days!  I still respect comic books though and try to check them out whenever I can.  Nowadays, I'm very into anime and videogames (when college isn't bustin my ass!).

* Dungeons and Dragons or other role-playing games (I don't play anymore, but I used to play D&D and Top Secret back in the 1980s).

-Hell no.  D&D just ain't for me.  Though I don know people who play.  Only RPG's I play are with a controller firmly grasped in my hands.

* Heavy Metal or Punk Rock

-Nope.  I listen to a lot of stuff, but definitely not heavy metal.  I listen to some alternative (lovin Mars Volta right now), a LOT of hiphop/rap, and other stuff.  Game soundtracks, anime music, whatever sounds good.  

Stereotypes... shattered.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Fans of bad movies . . . am I stereotyping us or is this true? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.