Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:34:55 PM
714380 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gumball Ralley and other cross-country races. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gumball Ralley and other cross-country races.  (Read 2174 times)
N. E. Moses
« on: September 18, 2001, 03:13:11 AM »

I was watching a late night movie Gumball Ralley and I was wondering, was there ever a sequel to the movie?  And also, were there ever any other cross country racing movies besides said movie, the Cannonball series, and maybe even the  Smokey and the Bandit series you guys can think of?

thanks
Vermin Boy
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2001, 06:42:58 AM »

Well, there's Death Race 2000, but that's in a slightly different vein...
Tony
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2001, 10:37:47 AM »

Death Race 200 was such a classic!
Hey, I just watched that Gumball Rally last night. Good movie! :>)

Tony
Apostic
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2001, 01:36:42 PM »

Also in a slightly diferent vein, there's The Great Race (1965).  This is a spoof of 1920's daring-do, with an intercontinental race between an excessively pure hero vs. an ineffectually evil villain.  Not for all tastes.  Cf. Monte Carlo or Bust (1969, a.k.a. Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies) and the Wacky Races cartoon series (1968-1970).

Although The Fast and the Furious (the OLD one) takes place during a cross country race, it really doesn't fit into the genre.

Thre's more, but my notes are at home.  Let's see how many other posters beat me to the punch on this one. ;)
Apostic
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2001, 09:55:01 PM »

Double Speed (1920).  This is sort of Gumball Rally in the old days.

Genevieve (1953).  Antique car racing, cross country.  For character development, we follow two of the teams.  They were all friends, but that's about to change....

I suppose in its own way, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (1963) falls into the cross-country chase movie, but recall that it isn't about cross country car racing.  Rat Race (2001) follows.

We should also note that although it is in the is in the same vein as Cannonball Run (1981) and Cannonball Run II (1984), Cannonball (1976) isn't really part of that series.

See also, cross country chase movies, particularly those of the seventies, like Vanishing Point (1971), The Sugarland Express (1974), Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (1974), and Eat My Dust (1976).

regards,

Apostic
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gumball Ralley and other cross-country races. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.