Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:00:59 AM
714259 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7737 Members
Latest Member: NannieHime
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Spider Man 2 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Spider Man 2  (Read 6324 times)
Brother Ragnarok
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 01, 2004, 02:58:27 PM »

The hell?  It's been out for two days and it doesn't have its own thread yet?  Geeks, you should be ashamed of yourselves.
A few thoughts:
Doc Ock is a far better villain than the Goblin.  Dafoe was brilliant as Norman, don't get me wrong, but I've just never liked the Goblin anyway, and spraypainting the old Jet Jaguar costume green doesn't add to his menace any.  Gone is Doc's green and yellow spandex, in is a long black trenchcoat.  Very cool.
We're set up for at least three  villains in part three, which will be the last of the series, at least for all the original crew.  I really don't want to get the Goblin back again, so here's hoping that was just a red herring.  Either that, or he could team up with someone so he doesn't take up all the screen time.  
Next, we have Dr. Connors, a.k.a. The Lizard for those unfamiliar.  Since the actor who played him looks like Robert Llewellyn anyway, he should have just been played by Robert, but that's neither here nor there.  
The third is JJJ's son, John, the man responsible for bringing the Venom symbiote to Earth.  Only problem is, to get Venom in the third movie, they'd have to bypass about 15-20 years worth of Black Spidey story arc in 45 minutes or so worth of movie.  I'm not going to get my hopes up for Carnage.  He's obviously the coolest of Spidey's foes (at least for those of us with tastes ranging to the more horriffic), but he would only end up being in the last 20 minutes of the movie.  Needless to say, I'm going to be very disappointed if there's no Venom.  If Sam moves on after the third film, I'm sure the studio is going to try keeping it going just because it makes so much money, but I don't want to see Venom and Carnage handled by some hack music video director in a later installment.  If there are indeed going to be more than three, and Venom and Carnage are in the stars for #4 or beyond, I suggest the most badass way of getting it done is to flip off the MPAA, kick the kiddies out of the theater, and hire David Cronenberg to direct.

There are only two important things in life - monsters and hot chicks.
    - Rob Zombie
Rape is just cause for murdering.
    - Strapping Young Lad
Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 03:02:34 PM »

Can you imagine what the FX would look like for Venom. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 04:56:13 PM »

T'was a grand film. I really REALLY do not want to see Venom in the next movie. Its already set up for Harry to take his fathers place. Personally I hoep that in the next movie we get the Lizard and the green goblin back. both ideas could be made to coincide in the same movie easily.

...provided we dont get a batman returns, batman forever and batman and robin syndrome we we the audience are forced to watch 2 villains team up to take out the hero and fail miserably.

If I rememebr correctly the lizard when in lizard form was nothign but a hulk like brute that could control other lizards...well at least communitcate with them. be good to have Harry as the green goblin with a brute like that under his control.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Susan
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 08:15:31 PM »

No thread maybe because nobody wants to accidentally ready spoilers?
I'll probably read this thread more in depth this weekend. I took tomorrow off work (woohoo!) and hope to see spiderman early before all the teens wake up. I liked the first one in that, i guess it grew on me, although i think that too much cgi in any movie gets to me. I'm curious if this movie is just an extention of that movie or if it any way it might exceed my expectations. too bad dunst goes blonde, i ..as a redhead, thought it was kinda cool to see a redhead in a leading role in a movie like this for a change ;-)

Post Edited (07-01-04 20:23)
Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 09:46:48 PM »

Her hair's still red as far as I could tell.  They changed it from the bright, cartooney red in the first one to a more realistic red, but it's still red.

- Rob Zombie
    - Strapping Young Lad
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 10:31:10 PM »

yeah i saw the movie too her hairs still red. it was a pretty good movie but like the first one CGI was outta control(but to contradict myself most of the scenes need it).i did like this one better than the first one. just like the x-men movies the second one is better than the first. brother ragnarok is right about venom it be a b***h to have him in the next movie. also (here comes the comic nerd ) JJJ  son didnt bring  the symbiote back to earth. in the comics spiderman got in the secret wars issue 8
cause his red and blue one got torn up in a fight.(reason i know this cause i have that issue.) i hope i didnt p**s you off brother ragnarok i didnt aim to do that i had to satisfy the comic nerd in me:)

"I know I know ive been exposed permeant psychoses..
at least the colors are nice"- Aeon Flux

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 10:40:17 PM »

Are you sure about that, Rich?  The black suit was an alien being, brought back on JJJJr's shuttle.  It latched onto Spidey and it caused him to have blackouts where he committed crimes and stuff until he figured out that sound could hurt it and fought it off.  Then it latched onto Eddie Brock and made him obsessed with getting revenge on Spidey for defeating it.

- Rob Zombie
    - Strapping Young Lad
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 11:10:28 PM »

yes you are correct but  that was in the cartoon. in the comics marvel secret wars series issue 8 he obtained it. i wish i knew a webstie were i link so i can show you  but i have the newest issue of WIZARD and i looked it the back where it has all of the comic prices and first appereances, deaths etc. under marvel secret wars at issue 8 it has 1&O (origin): of spider mans alien costume. also i have that issue and it is his symbiote. after the whole secret wars was done he brought back to earth were he eventually got rid of it and went to eddie brock. if anything ill look around the internet and find a link so i could show you.

actual i fount a link here it is
http://www.toymania.com/archives/secretwars/swc8.shtml

Post Edited (07-01-04 23:17)

Brother Ragnarok

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 01:30:33 AM »

Thanks for the info, Rich.  Every little piece of info that makes me look like less of a tool is a welcome addition.

- Rob Zombie
    - Strapping Young Lad
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 03:35:42 PM »

no problem. i just didnt want to come off as a wiseass comic geek.

Acidburn
Bad Movie Lover

When I was your age, television was called Books!

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 04:20:37 PM »

To late. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The flowers are still standing...
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2004, 07:03:19 AM »

I really enjoyed the 1st Spider-Man movie.  But, I must say, Part II was much better.  The battles with Doc Ock were amazing and the Peter/Aunt May/Mary Jane/Harry character interactions were a lot more complex.  Even J.Jonah Jameson was more involved.  Plus, they continue to make us curious as to when Curt Connors will finally become The Lizard.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Susan
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2004, 09:10:56 AM »

I enjoyed the sequel better too, suprisingly, as I thought it was a little hyped. The first spiderman movie didn't blow me away as it seemed to with others. I felt it was a light movie made for teens focusing on how cool it is to be a superhero and the characters were, not very complex. It was idealistic. this one shows more of the reality of what it is to be a hero. The villian is better too (because he is an extreme version perhaps of someone who is blinded by their own needs in life that everything else is just an obstacle in getting what they want) Though at the end you see the next sequel coming which i wonder - is toby signed for that? Here we get to see the complexity of parkers dillema in just wanting the normal things everybody else does but feeling the responsibility of his abilities. Not only do they help, but they hurt those around him and his feelings are bottled up and slowly eating away at him as he cannot share them with anybody. His character is more relatable here, his struggle is more clearly portrayed. there are those who have to accept sacrafices in order to be the kind of person that puts themselves out there to help others. Sometimes it's not so much they have to do it, but need to.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I read someone's review where they didn't know why parker was losing his power, and that it was never explained. I thought it was pretty clear? He was doubting who he was, he was pulled between two lives that he could not be a complete person. That phrase "know thyself" came to mind, you cannot lead a full life if you do not know what you want from it. You cannot hold any power if you doubt yourself.

Post Edited (07-03-04 09:12)
Writer
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2004, 09:17:33 PM »

I actually read some Hollywood rumors that Spider-man might tackle the Sand Man in his third movie. From reading the Marvel reprints of the Spider-man comics, I think he'd do all right for some action, although they might need more than just him to keep the story going. (In the Sandman's first appearance, I couldn't help thinking how very similar his physical behavior was to that of the second Terminator. I imagine the same computer graphics technology they used in that film could be modified to show a man "crumbling" instead of "melting" into and out of various shapes. Also, whereas the T-1000 used stabbing weapons, Sand Man tended to form himself more into blunt objects.)

I liked the trench-coated version of Doc Ock too, but I should point out that even in the comics he was never really into spandex (being rather chunky, after all) although he did wear a suit that  was something like a cross between surgical scrubs and a Star Trek uniform. Also, when not out beating on someone, he tended to wear an overcoat to hide his tentacles. As such, the movie's portrayal of him is not so much of a stretch from how he looked in the comics.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2004, 06:34:12 AM »

Good movie, but I thought Peter's dilemma took up too much of it. Those parts started to drag after a while. Alfred Molina gave an excellent and believable performance as Dr. Octopus, but I felt he was underused. I would have preferred Doc Ock to be the focus, and the dilemma to be secondary. I'm sure that was the intention, but it worked out to be the other way around.

I agree that there was a lot of CGI in this movie, but it looked less like a video game than it did in the first.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Spider Man 2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.