Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:00:54 AM
714329 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Some serious movies. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Some serious movies.  (Read 885 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 02, 2004, 08:36:24 AM »

Not that e don't talk about serious movies here now and then, but I have little time lately, so I have become more selective with my viewings, and films like the ones I mention here are not exactly in the same league than the others I see around.

1) "Dogville" (2003). A three-hour morality play on the misadventures of a young woman (Grace, played by Nicloe Kidman) forced to stay in a small town while some criminals and the police search for her. Grace reaches an agreement with the villagers, but as the time passes and the pressure increases they start ill-treating and humiliating her. Cast is superb, settings minimal (moat houses consist in chalk lines on the floor) and the tone soon changes from idillic to openly cruel as the villagers show they real faces to Grace. Be warned, it is a mind-blowing film, but those who criticised it as anti-american are right for once. This is a poisonous reflection on the american dream, and some americans could easily find it offensive.

2) "Titus" (1999). Yet another Shakespeare taken to the big screen. This one, however, is not a picturesque period drama, but an almost three-hour acid trip. Better read  your Shakespeare before watching this one, because otherwise you could end up believing they just mad up the whole thing. Anthony Hopkins plays Titus, a Roman general who loses everything just after one of his biggest victories ever. Old and tired, he is now cruelly tortured by the new queen of Rome and her machinations. Has he the energy to identify his enemies, avoid madness and take revenge? We'll see. The production design, wardrove, acting and filmmaking change almost from scene to scene, while director Julie Taymor chooses to preserve the origianal dialogues, even when the characters drive motorbikes or play the "Radical Bikers" arcade. However, this doesn't ruin the film, it makes it better. Rather than sticking to an old-fashioned clasicism, the changes prove how modern Shakespeare is still today, while her sometimes extreme camerawork provides an excellent side-track to the dialogue, sometimes clarifying it, other times taking it to new directions. The bravest Shakespeare adaptation I have ever seen and also the most imaginative film I have seen recently. Oh, and everything in this film is excesive, so squeamish people should pass.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Kory
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 01:45:20 PM »

A serious movie that I just saw:

"The Elephant Man" starring Anthony Hopkins.  It's a heartbreaking story... especially since it's true.  It's hard to explain- just see it if you can.
Yaddo42
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 09:08:26 AM »

I second "Titus", a wild take on one of Shakespeare's weakest plays, but Tamor made it work by going over the top. Also, watching this means you can savor some of the dark humor of "Theater of Blood" with a little more insight.

I'll add:

"Sunshine" about three generations of a Jewish family trying to survive the turmoil of the various political upheavals in Hugary from WWI through the anit-Communist uprising of 1955. Stars Ralph Finnes, William Hurt, Rachel Weisz.

"The King of Masks" a Chinese drama about an aging travelling performer who adopts a boy so he can pass on his unique art to an heir having no son of his own. Only the child he adopts from a poor, desperate family is actually a girl in disguise. Very heartfelt and unique tale.

"Topsy-Turvy" about the preparation and staging of the first production of Gilbert and Sullivan's "The Mikado" after they have been an artistic and professional slump. Now I hate most musicals, but this film drew me in with the tales of the struggles to create, finance, cast, produce and debut a musical. You see not just G&S's struggles but the egos and personality clashes of the cast members. Just a great view of backstage life in the theater.

"Whale Rider" a strong-spirited young Maori girl in New Zealand wants to learn the ways of becoming a tribal leader, despite the rejection of her grandfather, who conducts the training of boys for the duties of chief. The acting by Keisha Castle-Hughes is the definition of a moving performance, and the girl was nominated for a best Actress Oscar (I wish she had won). I don't consider myself too sappy, but this one really stuck with me. Also can be a good family film as well.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Some serious movies. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.